IGNORED

What has produced the greatest sound improvement for you?

11 hours ago, robocop said:

Source, upgrading recently from an I7 4790K, quad core switch mode power supply to a Phasure Stealth MKIII Xenon 12 core with linear power supply. Both only used exclusively for audio. The MKIII takes the sound to an easy 3D level over 2D for I7. This is a far greater sound improvement, than I've ever had for a long time. The whole sound and everything within it, is improved to the point the former source can't compare in anyway. The I7 was a large step up from an I3 laptop. I suspect this difference is greater than upgrading Dac's, speakers and amplifiers. All are important no less, but the old story started by Mr Linn (Ivor Tiefenbrun) many years ago "Your System Is Only As Good As Your Source" No matter if it's analog or a digital front end, it's still garbage in, garbage out.

Best source I've ever owned!!!

Robert

1 hour ago, Ron Ippolito said:

Nobody mentioned Chord M Scaler.  Since I have a Chord DAC, can anyone who has one please explain why you didn't put it on your list?

Ron, in your case, adding the MScaler to the Qutest, IMO, would be a real boost. It certainly was for me.

In my case, about a year ago I decided to try streaming and to expand my digital footprint.

I built up a system with an RPi 3+, WD NAS drive, with a Shanti PS. This driven through my Luxman D-05 SACD machine DAC. The sound was very good. Smooth. 

With proof of concept "proved" I decided to expand the system. In that regard, the MScaler was not as monumental as other upgrades.

That is why you didn't see the MScaler on my short list. Not that it wasn't a significant and welcome contributor; rather, that other things had more impact, given the more "entry-level" proof of concept mode I was in. 

N.B. And no offense intended to the great Pi peeps out there. It is an amazing, versatile option and it really was my "gateway drug." I would recommend it to anyone if it fits your sensibilities, budget, etc. I was amazed I could get where I did with that system. 

I'm MarkusBarkus and I approve this post.10C78B47-4B41-4675-BB84-885019B72A8B.thumb.png.adc3586c8cc9851ecc7960401af05782.png

On 8/4/2020 at 11:30 PM, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

n your audio system, what has produced the greatest improvement impacting on sound quality or better musical experience? Not just 'maybe a bit different' but in your opinion clearly better.

Discrete lossless multichannel playback.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

15 minutes ago, bobbmd said:

the only alcohol should be Lagavulin with a NUB cigar and never when purchasing only when listening 

Lagavulin good...Cigar bad...lots of particulates to deflect the musical waves...

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear RAX43 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBTouch ->SABAJ A10d->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: iPeng (iPad Air & iPhone); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: iPhone 12 ProMax & Radio Paradise or NAS streaming; Sony NWZ ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers  

5 hours ago, Kimo said:

Actually, I want to say speakers, since they impart the most character.  I have to say amplifier, however.  I would rather listen to mediocre speakers and a great amp, than great speakers and a mediocre amp.  

Yes ... most don't appreciate this - something I've demonstrated to myself, over and over again ...

On 8/5/2020 at 1:00 PM, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

In your audio system, what has produced the greatest improvement impacting on sound quality or better musical experience? Not just 'maybe a bit different' but in your opinion clearly better.

It could be software, hardware, room treatments, tweaks whatever. What single thing or things stands out that you would definitely recommend to others?

Sorry, I can't resist. 🤣

Going from a $20 portable "transistor radio" (1950 something) and a cheap tape recorder to high quality (but not overly expensive) gear (receiver, Thorens t/t, and AR 2ax speakers).

Two things 1. I would say understanding that not every piece of kit will work well with each other and to understand that for putting together a system. 2. Understanding how to setup speakers and treat a room for better acoustics was money well spent.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

On 8/4/2020 at 10:30 PM, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

In your audio system, what has produced the greatest improvement impacting on sound quality or better musical experience? Not just 'maybe a bit different' but in your opinion clearly better...It could be software, hardware, room treatments, tweaks whatever. What single thing or things stands out that you would definitely recommend to others?

1) The room itself, treated for near-field early reflections, was likely the most important ingredient (see https://audiophilestyle.com/profile/26684-chris-a/?tab=field_core_pfield_3 for a listing of room and equipment).

2) A very close second were the loudspeakers themselves--employing full-range directivity (same link).

3) Dialing everything in using a good DSP crossover for each channel in the 5.1 (manually)--with flattened phase response.  Bringing the centerline of the HF waveguides closer to the centerline of the bass bins (left, right channels) also significantly improved listener involvement on stereo music tracks.

4) Multichannel 5.1 (especially all channels carefully time aligned and their phase response flattened using fractional order crossover filters).  Native DSD multichannel music files in particular sound really good, i.e., those recordings retaining as-recorded phase response.

In short, it wasn't electronics or computers that made the difference (other than the DSP crossovers used in the 5.1), but rather the measured acoustic fundamentals.  The greater the fidelity of the direct arrival acoustic energy without intervening early reflections or embedded/added electrical/electronic phase growth within the reproduction chain, the greater the subjective listening performance--disproportionately.  This dramatically increased subjective listener involvement (see this link for further explanation).  Only then did the "magic" start to occur, and then very small improvements in music sources (quality of music tracks) and electronics fidelity become clearly audible.

Chris

"Those professional loudspeakers with dedicated electronics have a huge advantage over passive loudspeakers. Consumers in general, especially high-end audiophiles, have not caught up with the advantages that technology has to offer.  Good loudspeakers and amplifiers can deliver good sound, but merging them with dedicated digital crossovers, equalizers and amplifiers designed for those specific loudspeaker components, in their specific enclosure, can yield even better sound."  F. Toole, 2018, Sound Reproduction the Acoustics and Psychoacoustics of Loudspeakers and Rooms, 3rd ed., chap. 12.5, pg 356.

1.upgrading speakers

2. acoustic panels

3.DRC

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)