IGNORED

What has produced the greatest sound improvement for you?

More watts...I went from 66 watts/ch to 200 watts/ch by adding the Linn 2250 and this is far and away the biggest improvement in my system; over multiple DACS, CD players, and streaming methods from my NAS to the system.

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear RAX43 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBTouch ->SABAJ A10d->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: iPeng (iPad Air & iPhone); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: iPhone 12 ProMax & Radio Paradise or NAS streaming; Sony NWZ ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers  

1 hour ago, One and a half said:

I do know what wrecks SQ

a) USB audio

b) USB cabling

c) getting sucked into 'best' Cable/DAC/Gadget/Digital/Headphones Of The Month

d) $hitty recordings <- The most difficult to fix

+1

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

6 hours ago, sphinxsix said:

I'm sure that OTOH in some circumstances changing a 300W amp to a 12W one can also result in a huge improvement :)

Well sure but the OT is for personal experience....

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear RAX43 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBTouch ->SABAJ A10d->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: iPeng (iPad Air & iPhone); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: iPhone 12 ProMax & Radio Paradise or NAS streaming; Sony NWZ ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers  

11 hours ago, jcbenten said:

More watts...I went from 66 watts/ch to 200 watts/ch by adding the Linn 2250 and this is far and away the biggest improvement in my system; over multiple DACS, CD players, and streaming methods from my NAS to the system.

I think it depends on what watts 🙂

Was the overall quality of the two amplifiers different apart from just the power rating? I would expect for example, comparing oranges with oranges, more watts will be beneficial if you have a difficult load. If you are a fan of class a then it also might mean how long the amplifier stays in class a

Sound Minds Mind Sound

15 minutes ago, Summit said:
  1. Setting up the audio system correct in good listing room trumps everything else IMO. Many try to squeeze in too big speakers in a small room or worse sit too close to some walls which result in massive amount of reflections.
  2. Fix bad mains power is paramount, because just like the course is never going to tests good if you start with bad raw materials, no audio system will sound good with bad mains power, leaking currents etc.
  3. Get better source i.e. sever, transport etc
  4. Get good anti-vibration racks, footers and room treatments.
  5. Now if you have done 1-4 it’s perhaps it’s time to start upgrade the other audio gear in your system.  

I couldn't agree more. One of the biggest things for me was treating the room with bass traps large enough to be bass traps and then playing with reflection and diffusion, speaker setup et cetera.

I've never been a fan of any DSP thus far and that includes digital room correction. I hear different but is not right to my ear (thus far). With regards DRC I realise that I am now probably a dinosaur in my opinion but I swear I can hear the direct sound from the speakers and not just some kind of summation or psychoacoustic effect of the sound waves interacting at my listening position. I hear the direct sound first and I don't like the alteration from DRC whether it be minimum phase or mixed phase or the next phase generation. I put a lot of effort into getting that direct sound and to mess with it basically messes with my head. The analogy here would be sitting in a reasonably intimate live venue listening to amplified sound. If I'm close enough to the artists I get a mixture of live and amplified sound, natural and artificial sound. It's part of what makes live performances still so attractive to me, there is still a realness to the sound which is hard to reproduce.

Sound Minds Mind Sound

4 hours ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

I think it depends on what watts 🙂

Was the overall quality of the two amplifiers different apart from just the power rating? I would expect for example, comparing oranges with oranges, more watts will be beneficial if you have a difficult load. If you are a fan of class a then it also might mean how long the amplifier stays in class a

I was clipping.  The Keilidhs are 4 ohm loads and sealed.  Took the watts to open them up a bit.  I no longer clip and the music is more "dense"....best description I can generate.  The sound/tone is the same (to me) just louder and thicker (to the good).

I was using just the Majik (integrated amp) and the 2250 is a power amp.  I use the Majik just as a pre-amp now.

4 hours ago, robocop said:

Source, upgrading recently from an I7 4790K, quad core switch mode power supply to a Phasure Stealth MKIII Xenon 12 core with linear power supply. Both only used exclusively for audio. The MKIII takes the sound to an easy 3D level over 2D for I7. This is a far greater sound improvement, than I've ever had for a long time. The whole sound and everything within it, is improved to the point the former source can't compare in anyway. The I7 was a large step up from an I3 laptop. I suspect this difference is greater than upgrading Dac's, speakers and amplifiers. All are important no less, but the old story started by Mr Linn (Ivor Tiefenbrun) many years ago "Your System Is Only As Good As Your Source" No matter if it's analog or a digital front end, it's still garbage in, garbage out.

Best source I've ever owned!!!

Robert

Cool, how much did it cost you? 

On 8/5/2020 at 4:30 AM, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

In your audio system, what has produced .. better musical experience?

The greatest improvement was in adding the recently released EC Designs U192 usb transport and Fractal DAC combination using their ElectroTos interface.

Finally I can relax as the residual 'digital' quality of playback which in my case was the main motivating factor behind the restless tweaking has been removed - resulting in a significant increase in musical enjoyment. Maybe the last 2% is the most important step after all.

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers.