IGNORED

Help with DRC, please?

Hello all,

I'm glad I found this community. I've been an avid reader for over a year but now reaching the end of my wits and can't deal with this situation all on my own.

I own the following:

- 2x Genelec 8320 speakers, 1x Genelec 7350 subwoofer, GLM kit

- MOTU M2 audio interface

- Earthworks M23R mic, mic stand

- cheap SPL meter

- @mitchco's Accurate Sound Reproduction Using DSP

I have the speakers set up in a fournished room, fully carpeted, with a black-out blind on the one window. As much as possible, the speakers were positioned / aligned in a equilateral triangle. Subwoofer sits about centrally, at a very slight distance from the wall. The wall that the speakers face away from has a protrusion, meaning the speakers are in alcoves, and the left speaker sits next to the room's door.

I won't be here in a year's time which is why I haven't contracted a company for room treatment, but I'm trying my best to squeeze every last drop out of the gear in this room, which is why I figured I would try DRC.

What I've done so far:

- I've used Genelec's GLMv3 for AutoCal & AutoPhase

- I've followed @mitchco's book with a trial version of Acourate, but since I couldn't export anything / see a meaningful result without paying, I stopped that effort; before shelling that amount of money I'd prefer to see some value from DRC for free

- I've followed this guide from the Roon Community forums (I subscribe to Roon) on using REW and have done measurements for each speaker, exported the filters for each sample rate (44.1kHz all the way to 192kHz) and tried them in Roon; they make a difference (as in, I can hear music differently), but the way I'd describe that difference is subdued. It sounds like the highs, especially, are different.

- I've also tried following this guide from @mitchco on using Audiolense instead, which does offer a way of sampling its results for free, but couldn't even start measuring the room with it, as it's complaining the two outputs are more than what my audio interface has available. That's a problem for a different day, though, and as per their documentation, it's most likely something with either my interface or just my general lack of knowledge.

I guess my question would mainly be... How can I validate that the filter generated with REW does what it's supposed to do? I'm thinking I could use its RTA feature on the same snippet of a song, with and without the filter, playing in Roon?

My second question would be... For a near-field monitoring situation like this one, is there value in eliminating the room? Am I wrong in trying to further DSP these speakers? I'm a bit worried because with the Audiolense guide, it seems each speaker driver corresponded to one audio interface output, while with the Genelecs, both L & R audio inputs feed into the subwoofer first.

I'd appreciate any and all help in this. Thank you in advance to anyone reading and replying, and sorry Mitch for highlighting you so many times.