The Computer Audiophile

Best Vintage HiFi Designs

Hi Guys, I need some help finding the best vintage high end audio designs. It's for a project to be revealed at a later date, if it comes to fruition. Please post pictures, links, or brands and models if neither can be found.

Vintage is a loose term as is "best." I love some of the old McIntosh and Marantz designs and of course Luxman and Accuphase has some true gems. I'd love to see what your favorites are. Please post here!

Founder of Audiophile Style

Announcing Polestar | Quick Community Reviews and Ratings

0C9A3E53-0F49-44E9-873D-6FC6047CEBF2.thumb.png.d57d704786e0a56ce69b73a9315991ab.png

🇳🇱
Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers with scan speak illuminator drivers.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus

EtherRegen, LPS1- Isoregen, Lush^2

This piece of audio furniture has also vintage feel to it.. (Quad ESL 63 of course)

ffc2ebd4c52661530d551431dcf8829e.jpg

The Dragon.

Nakamichi Dragon - Wikipedia

NAD 302

NAD 302 Stereo Integrated Amplifier Manual | HiFi Engine

Another beauty 9_9 - Wilson Audio WAMM 7 (not on a budget though..)

HIFi Time Review Wilson Audio WAMM 7 - Loudspeakers - HIFi Time Review

Vintage.? Dunno, I just post these cool(?)lookers them whenever I can.. :D

What Are the Best Sounding Speakers You've Ever Heard.? - Page 2 ...

What’s true of all the evils in the world is true of plague as well.
It helps men to rise above themselves.

―  Albert Camus, The Plague.

Revox-a77.jpg.bedb26ea7036f967fdbef77124903e37.jpg

heathkit-ar1500-receiver.jpg

Revox A77, Heathkit AR-1500

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted"- William Bruce Cameron

Yamaha got a lot of attention in the mid-seventies with their new CA line of integrated amps. I had a CA-1000, the top model in the series, 70wpc in Class AB, switchable to 15wpc Class A.

CA1000a.jpg

The amp was driving a pair of classic speakers, the NS-1000M ion AR stands:

Yamaha NS1000M

Sources were a Yamaha CT-700 tuner, playing CHUM FM back in the days when it was pure album rock with no commercial breaks, (I remember you, David Marsden) and a Technics SL-1400 turntable.

cover-image

The turntable's semi-auto feature hurt my audiophile cred, but the cartridges made up some ground:

Supex 900 moving coil:

Supex 900 Super MC cartridge and Supex SDT-77 Transformer ( Used ) Sold Supex_13

and an Ortofon M15E Super moving magnet:

Ortofon M15E Super Cartridge Photo #1482444 - Canuck Audio Mart

I had a magnesium headshell for the Supex. To change cartridges all I had to do was mount the other headshell, no rebalancing required.

“The best sounding audio product is the one that exhibits the least audible flaws.”

Dr. Floyd Toole

The classic Sondek LP12 revolutionized the audiophile world in the seventies with Linn's "source first" philosophy:

Linn S ondek LP 12

“The best sounding audio product is the one that exhibits the least audible flaws.”

Dr. Floyd Toole

Early to mid-Seventies Naim NAP CB (chrome bumper) 160 BD (bolt down top case vs later sleeve design). Considered by some to be Naim's most musical amp, picked this beauty up for $460 last month and still sounding incredibly sublime after all of these years.

00000IMG_00000_BURST20200805082610566_COVER.jpg

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK and OWC external 2.5" HD (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (HDPLEX 100)>LIVING ROOM:>Sonore opticalModule (Sonore Power Supply w/ SR Black fuse))>Ghent Audio JSSG Cat 6a cable>Sonore microRendu 1.4> (Uptone ) Uptone USPCB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics.

OFFICE:Naim Unitiqute V1>NACA5>KEF Ls50's, Cisco 2960PD. BJC cabling for ethernet aside from the Ghent and Naim stock AC cables with Wattgate or HifiKing Plugs. 

See the source image

Still one of the best Class A amps out there - the Pioneer M-22.

Makes a great room heater in the winter :D

Maybe I am biased because I have one, that has been rebuilt. Well worth checking out.

Current:  JRiver 24 on Win 10 PC (AMD Ryzen 5 2600 with 32 GB RAM) or Daphile on an I5-2500K with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Audio Research SP-16

Amplification - PS Audio S300 - Kenwood L-07M's - Pioneer M-22

Speakers: Wharfedale Linton Heritage - KEF LS50 - ELAC unifi UB5's - Linn Tukans - others......

Cables:Tara Labs and DiMarzio Interconnects

See the source image

I heard a set of these once. WOW - not the most dynamic but certainly stellar presentation - Ohm F loudspeakers.

Current:  JRiver 24 on Win 10 PC (AMD Ryzen 5 2600 with 32 GB RAM) or Daphile on an I5-2500K with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Speakers: Wharfedale Linton Heritage - KEF LS50 - ELAC unifi UB5's - Linn Tukans - others......

13 minutes ago, botrytis said:

See the source image

Another speaker people should hear once, setup and powered properly - Polk SDA-SRS .

The imaging is just out of this world and the dynamics are scary.

I have these Polk SDA-SRS 1.2 and have own them for 25 years or something.

1 minute ago, Summit said:

I have these Polk SDA-SRS 1.2 and have own them for 25 years or something.

I would do a total rebuild of the crossovers (they are a bear to do but it really makes the sound so much better). I would also make sure all the drivers are totally sealed on the cabinet as driver seals will dry out and leak.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC