ConcreteCow

Denafrips Gaia or Innuos Phoenix?

I'm having a dilemma...
Not sure what I would like to do. Innuos Phoenix or Denafrips Gaia?
The Phoenix would be connected via USB to my Zenith MKIII then to a Topping D90 MQA DAC.
If I chose the Denafrips Gaia the connection would still be USB from Zenith III to Gaia but from the Gaia it would be I2s to the D90 MQA DAC.
Any thoughts anyone?

Amplifier: Primaluna EVO 400 Integrated 

Digital: Innuos Zenith MK3 > Topping D90 MQA, Pioneer PD-S904

Analogue: Rega Planar 2 > Rega Fono MM MK3, Pioneer CT-W806DR 

Cables: Phasure Lush ^2, AQ Coffee, AQ Ruby, Cable Talk 2, QED Silver Anniversary

Speakers: Klipsch Forte III

I would choose neither. Have you considered upgrading your DAC instead?

13 minutes ago, Rune said:

Have you considered upgrading your DAC instead?

Good question.  

Digital:  Innuos Zenith Mk3 > Shunyata Sigma USB > Chord Hugo M-Scaler > Wireworld Gold Startlight > OPTO DX > Shunyata Alpha S/PDIF > Chord Hugo TT2 

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali power conditioner, Shunyata Alpha power cords, Shunyata Alpha interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD60 speaker cables, ASC isothermal tube traps

Hi Rune,

Yes. I was thinking the Gaia route as I was also contemplating the Terminator Plus later on.

Just wanted to know members thoughts on the Gaia with the D90 MQA via I2s.

Amplifier: Primaluna EVO 400 Integrated 

Digital: Innuos Zenith MK3 > Topping D90 MQA, Pioneer PD-S904

Analogue: Rega Planar 2 > Rega Fono MM MK3, Pioneer CT-W806DR 

Cables: Phasure Lush ^2, AQ Coffee, AQ Ruby, Cable Talk 2, QED Silver Anniversary

Speakers: Klipsch Forte III

I would also invest in a cheaper and highly effective solution such as the ISO Regen and upgrade the DAC first, remaining system and room too, and only when things are very high level then consider upgrading the ISO Regen, if needed. I think it would bring higher returns.

1. Sonore ultraRendu - Uptone ISO Regen - Mola Mola Makua - Apollon NC800 SL PRO - Thiel CS3.7

2. RME ADI-2 DAC FS - Audeze LCD-XC - Apollon NC502MP - Monitor Audio PL100

3. Hidizs S8 - Audeze LCDi3

If you plan on getting a terminator I would simply wait and get that first.

My impression from reading the Gaia thread is that those that are most exited about it is not using USB, but other “legacy” digital connections that does benefit from the conversion.

I agree with @Rune and @Matias save up and get the TP first. I would only get the Gaia first if I was already using a Termy, but having said that, I feel you bro, the itch to get the Gaia first and I'm sure you will gain a nice bump in SQ going that route too. Whichever route you take, enjoy the music. Good luck.

It seems OT now but has anyone heard the two? Love to know relative performance of each for pure signal upgrade. 

On 8/2/2020 at 6:02 PM, ConcreteCow said:

I'm having a dilemma...
Not sure what I would like to do. Innuos Phoenix or Denafrips Gaia?
The Phoenix would be connected via USB to my Zenith MKIII then to a Topping D90 MQA DAC.
If I chose the Denafrips Gaia the connection would still be USB from Zenith III to Gaia but from the Gaia it would be I2s to the D90 MQA DAC.
Any thoughts anyone?

If Denafrips Gaia or Innuos Phoenix will suit you best depends on which DAC you are going to use with it, or more correctly which type of digital input it has and sound best with.

With Gaia you get many different in and outputs SPDIF, TOSLink, AES/EBU x 2, I²S HDMI LVDS and I²S RJ45 LVCMOS but no USB out. With Innuos Phoenix you get only USB in and out.

A cheaper, but very good DDC solution that may suit you is the Audio GD DI-20HE.