IGNORED

Ultra Audio Destroys Music

My own "audiophile journey" has taken some interesting twists and turns.  If I think of my current system, it is comfortably better than my previous system by pretty much every objective measure.  And don't get me wrong, I am very happy with my current system, it is giving me enormous pleasure.  There is a "but" though, in many ways that "old" system was easier to live with, I'd turn it on, listen to music, and never really think much about the system itself.  This is harder to do with my current set up.  Here is where my current position kind of aligns with the article linked above. 

From where I am now, I am not that interested in chasing more detail, or a more precise sound stage, or any of these "audiophile" aspects, it is more of a quest to preserve these things where they are now, it is more than good enough, and just make the system that little bit easier to live with.

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

27 minutes ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

All I can say is that if you [author of the article] are listening to "music stripped bare" you have made some wrong decisions.

If someone who has tried most hi-end solutions for a living can't get it right, not much hope for the rest of us. 

An thought bubble I might throw in, 🤪, is that an everyday audio system is like walking along an embankment which is not too high, pretty wide, and gently curved to where it falls away ...easy, peasy to wander along. But as the walker gets more adventurous, and tackles more "interesting" paths, the embankment gets higher, it narrows, and the sides start to drop away at alarming angles ... get it a tiny bit wrong, and you tumble. But if you can nail the technique for maintaining the balance, then you are up so high - and the vistas you can scan are amazing

4 minutes ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

if you have absolute faith in that person and all other professionals agree then I would  say there is reason for concern  

Most professional reviewers get paid for hyping junk so are unlikely to agree. 

After quite a bit of thought, I have come to the conclusion that I don't want live music in my living room.  I don't want "accurate sound" I don't want any veils lifted or audio buzz-word approved sound.  I just want to hear a good recording of good music.

If it sounds good to me, I am happy.  Who wants to listen to equipment when they can listen to music?  

Disclaimer:  I have no problem with expensive equipment.  If you got it spend it.....I just think after a certain point, very expensive audio, just like supercars, become an exercise in design rather than an improvement to music (or driving) enjoyment.  

In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake ~ Sayre's Law