I have a pretty decent custom server (Optane, Pacer, all that good stuff) running as a Roon Core With Euphony.

The OS etc is on the Optane drive and currently my music library is stored on my NAS which is connected to the same switch as the server.

All of this is far away from my listening room which has a Sonore Signature Rendu SE connected via optical and a EtherRegen as the endpoint.

My question is: would there be any benefit to moving my library from the NAS to an internal NVMe drive or something else?

Thanks!

IMO....No. There would be no benefit of moving off the NAS to Local storage. Reason being, just about every decent music server/library software out there will "Cache" some number of seconds (or more...) of the audio file being played so what you hear is coming from that Cache and not real-time off the ETH/wire.

The only benefit I can see would be quick recognition of newly added local music by Roon. Roon can have issues spotting new files with the music stored on NAS. A manual scan is a workaround. 

If you don’t add new files often, this isn’t a big deal. 

I’m now running Roon core and the 10TB music library on the same PC and it’s blazing fast. 

Founder of Audiophile Style

Announcing Polestar | Quick Community Reviews and Ratings

11 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

The only benefit I can see would be quick recognition of newly added local music by Roon. Roon can have issues spotting new files with the music stored on NAS. A manual scan is a workaround.

This is a persistent problem that I did not detect when I compared Roon to JRiver Media Center for the January 2019 debut of the new AS.  I might have considered a dedicated internal or USB drive had I realized this up front.  It seems that Roon reliably detects db changes on my NAS only when restarting, which I didn't notice because I was opening and closing multiple programs during that evaluation.  But since I completed the piece and adopted Roon for myself, I leave it on 24/7 so I can listen in any room at any time.

I still find it a bit annoying to have to force a rescan each time I add a file, because immediate appearance of the addition confirms that my tags are OK.  So I open Foobar after adding new files, because it immediately picks up and displays changes.  Still, I love Roon - it's my default at home.  Heck, I'm not perfect either 😁

12 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Yes, I do resort to manual scan 50% of the time currently, not a big deal IMO.

Thanks for the replies - you guys saved me some $. 😄