IGNORED

$300 DAC: AKM, ESS, or multibit

The Schiit Modius looks interseting if you don't have to have DSD. Balanced and unbalanced, with new Schiit USB input. Was measuered as exteremly high performing at ASR. Can run without external PS.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

5 hours ago, wbh said:

Dunno ... help me out, folk!!.... on CA (Audiophilestyle), what is the general preference WRT delta-sigma dacs: ESS or AKM?

I don't think there is one. Lots of people are happy with each. I doubt most people could tell one chip from another in some kind of blind test. A good designer can get the sonic outcome he is looking for. 

And I'd suggest not making such a big deal about the DAC chip. It's a small part of the final sound of the DAC. Other stuff makes at least as much of a difference: input, power supply, output circuit, etc. The overall design is what matters. Try to get something that seems to be thought out, and not just thrown together to hit a price point. Companies like Topping, Schitt, SMSL, and Allo seem to try hard to design a good product at a price point. Pretty much all the DACs mentioned here are very good at your price point and it's almost for sure you will be happy with one....unless you have incurable audiophile nervosa.

You have a budget, narrow it down to a few candidates and think about: which feature set/ergonomics fits you best; whether you have support after purchase, and whether you have an ability to return if you aren't happy. Then order and enjoy the music. You are listening to the music coming out of the DAC, not the chip. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)