IGNORED

$300 DAC: AKM, ESS, or multibit

On 7/24/2020 at 1:30 AM, DuckToller said:

Hi @wbh

Listening to the Allo Revolution since 10 days  It uses the ESS9038q2m and allows you to feed it with up to DSD512., which I provide via Roon upsampling to a Gentoo player flavored RPi4 as endpoint.

+ SQ is nothing short of exciting, given the price point.

-/+ It is USB only, unbalanced out.

+ Concentration on the straightforward solution 

+ Comes with a remote.

+ Allows you to tinker with filters and harmonics setup.

Yesterday I received another ESS9038q2m DAC from Soncoz, the LA-QXD1, which is the new company of Ben, the designer of the Khadas Tone Board Dac. Just from the outside impression it's an excellent machined unit, with multiple inputs (USB/Coax/Toslink) and balanced and unbalanced analogue output. Plus coaxial digital out. The unit provides the full power of the ESS chip with DSD512 and PCM 32/768 via USB, 24/192 via Coax/optical in. No remote. Not connected yet, therefore no sq impressions.

Both DACs are below 300 USD. The Soncoz even at 199$.

Cheers, Tom

I’ve heard good things about Ben and his new Soncoz DACs. Let us know how it sounds.

Tidal / Qobuz--> Roon--> Fios Gigabit--> Netgear Prosafe GS105 --> Supra 8-->EtherRegen --> Fiber--> opticalRendu / CI Audio LPS --> Curious Evolved Link --> Chord Qutest--> AQ Water --> Belles Aria Integrated--> AQ Robin Hood--> Kudos Super 20's