IGNORED

Effectiveness of Short Run of Fiber Optic cable.

My situation is similar to that of @asindc

In my case I have the router, then about 10m of Cat 5 which is actually cunning installed from one end of the room to the other, running underfloor for the most part.  One day I will need to redecorate and replace the carpet etc., at this time it would be relatively easy to replace the cat 5, but for the medium term I am stuck with it.

So, in my system it is router > Cat 5 > 6 port Ethernet switch > EtherRegen > sMS200ultra Neo.  As a point to note, the 6 point Ethernet switch is necessary, as this feeds various bits of AV kit at the same end of the room.

I quite like the idea of replacing the 6 port switch for a similar item with an SFP port, this would then have a short run of fiber to the EtherRegen.  This would be relatively cheap to do, and would actually be no more complex that the system I have now.

Does anyone see an issue with this scheme, or have any alternative ideas as to how it could be done?  Reading the posts above it would seem that I need "SX" SFP modules? (the run from the 6 port switch to the EtherRegen would be very short)  

Reading the wider forum, I see that using long range SFP modules with attenuators seems popular.  To be honest, this upsets my purist sensibilities at little, so for me I would want to at least start with the correct and sensible spec kit, then maybe experiment later.  (or maybe not)

Maybe it would be better to keep my existing 6 port switch and get a dedicated fiber transceiver, or even something like the Sonore Optical module?  

I do like the idea of having a switch with an SFP port - this gives me the electrical isolation of fiber without additional boxes of complexity.  (I have enough of that already)  I am open to ideas or suggestions though.

Another route could be to abandon the sMS200ultra, replace with an opticalRenu, and run this via fiber to the EtherRegen?

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

Picking up the posts above, if I were to try a short run of fiber, simply to provide electrical isolation between ethernet and the audio kit, which would be most appropriate to use, multi-mode, single mode, LC, SC?

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

I have always used an unmanaged switch for my audio and AV gear.  Simple, and I have never had any issues with this approach.

I wonder if there might be any advantages to using a managed switch and prioritising one port for audio?  Or is this a case of adding complexity for no gain? 

In practical terms I have been using an unmanaged switch with zero issues, which makes me wonder about the pro's and con's in this regard?

21 hours ago, plissken said:

Prioritization only works where you have wire contention. Most don't understand that their network utilization is in the single digit %.

We routinely over subscribe 24:1 on uplinks.

I think I need to give you the prize for the most network terms that I did not understand in a very short answer!  🙂  That said, I get the idea, not a lot to worry about here.  

For the record, I know just about enough to set up my my own audio / AV system, but not a lot more, my areas of expertise are elsewhere.

@jabbr - my kitchen set up is pretty much analogue, except maybe for the oven timer.  In fact, there is very little on my network, a wifi router, PC, PVR, Bluray player, and the hifi kit.  It occurs to me that the when the audio kit is in use, the other kit typically is not, except the PC of course.  So again, very little to worry about here.  As an aside, and yet more evidence that I know sod all about network related stuff, is that I in my system I can Ethernet stream HQPlayer without issue, with both IPV6 enabled or disabled, both work.  I have never been sure which is best or if it matters.

Thanks for the replies and insight guys.

As another aside, when looking for a basic switch with a SFP port, I cannot find anything that looks more suitable than the MikroTik RB260GS as recommended earlier by @ericuco.  Most of the other options seem to have PoE or other stuff I just don't not need or want.  I am quite temped to give one a try.  Or maybe there is a better option? 

Of course, I could stay in full audiophile mode and spend more money on a Sonore optical module, but I quite like the simplicity of the MikroTik, it looks like it will do all I need without adding to the box count.

7 hours ago, plissken said:

Cisco 2360 48 port copper 1GBe / 4 SFP+ 10GBe for $60 on ebay shipped.

That is certainly an interesting idea.  Unfortunately I am in the UK, so not only a bit more to pay for shipping, but the larger issue of presumably only being suitable for 120V.