IGNORED

Do you subscribe to the theory that..

1 hour ago, sphinxsix said:

I wonder to what degree the quality of analogue-digital converters from the early CDs era can be compared to modern converters (was the technical progress in case of professional ADCs comparable to the progress in case of consumers' DACs?) and how much this aspect can influence SQ of the final product e.g. a CD?

First, I'll preface an answer, where the biggest (by far) the damage created on almost every CD (modulo some specialty materials) is usually far greater than an LSB error or two on an ADC.   Think of the compression applied to CDs creating errors far greater than the equivalent of multiple percents of distortion, even though the compression might sound a little less irritating than raw harmonic/intermod on a percent by percent basis.  Also, the distortion created by the compressors as a side-defect are certainly greater than the 0.5% level.  (LF distortion is MUCH greater.)  And I mean, actual nonlinear distortion.

After the compression damage to almost every CD -- then we can discuss the consumers and professional A/D & D/A converters.  And, I do believe that good A/D and D/A converters are definitely better than poor quality devices...  It isn't just the 'devices', but also the associated circuit technology (layout, proper analog amplification, etc) -- that make a difference.  I'll bow out of the 0.001% vs 0.0001% and 120dB vs 100dB SNR discussions -- I am worried about much worse problems :-).

John