The Computer Audiophile

Article: CAPS Twenty | Part Two

I’m simply blown away, Chris!  I think you’ve inspired me to design and build a pair of audiophile SBCs to this level of quality with all the capability I can squeeze into them. Great write-up of a great project!

2 minutes ago, bluesman said:

I’m simply blown away, Chris!  I think you’ve inspired me to design and build a pair of audiophile SBCs to this level of quality with all the capability I can squeeze into them. Great write-up of a great project!

Thanks so much @bluesman. It's really a passion of mine and I'm so grateful that members of this community see value in it and find some enjoyment in this. 

Founder of Audiophile Style

Announcing Polestar | Quick Community Reviews and Ratings

Love it! Now I want one!

Does it put out too much heat to live in a listening room? Same with sound?

No electron left behind...

Wow, Chris,  that looks amazing. Your investment in all aspects of this, including the aesthetics, is impressive. And the low CPU load is also amazing. 
I just ordered a new server based on the same motherboard. But "only" an i7 10700k. And Fan cooled, but quiet fans. It should be effectively silent, unless you are right near it. I'm only looking to do a max of 256 DSD which I think it will do fine. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +_iFi  AC iPurifiers >Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Conditioning+Isolation>CAPS IV Pipeline Server + Sonore 12V PS>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>RPi4 (dietpi)>Kii Control>Kii Three >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Listening: (1) CAPS Pipeline>Matrix Element i Streamer/DAC (XLR)>Schiit Freya>Kii Three .(2) CAPS>ifi iDAC SPDIF>Kii Control.

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup. Living Room/Kitchen: RB Pi 3B+ running RoPieee to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Amazing work Chris!

The build looks so clean and polished, not to mention how much power it has! :)

When someone mentions "server" usually I think of a piece of hardware that sits in a dark room and

you never look at it. But this, you want to have it in your living room and put your TV in the server room. :D

And on top of that, pulling all of this during a global health pandemic... it's beyond amazing!

Thank you for sharing and keep these coming!

11 minutes ago, SasaKaranovic said:

Amazing work Chris!

The build looks so clean and polished, not to mention how much power it has! :)

When someone mentions "server" usually I think of a piece of hardware that sits in a dark room and

you never look at it. But this, you want to have it in your living room and put your TV in the server room. :D

And on top of that, pulling all of this during a global health pandemic... it's beyond amazing!

Thank you for sharing and keep these coming!

Thanks so much Sasa!  Your gauges and support played a big role in this project. 

That's a heck of a build, for sure! 

We were more than happy to help out for this ambitious project, and I'm happy to see that the final result turned out as amazing as it did.  Kudos!

Very cool, Chris.  Would undoubtedly solve my current HQP upscaling limitations.  @EVGA_Lee, I note that Chris’s link to your graphics card has no buy link. Who carries the specified product for sale?  I did not find online when searching. Thanks. JCR 

9 minutes ago, bobflood said:

Hi Chris, Suggestion:

Put another 256 SSD in the open second slot and use it for dual boot capability so you can test some of the things you mentioned (like HQP OS or other Linux options for example) against your Win 10 primary OS. ASUS UEFI/BIOS has pretty easy boot order options and you would not disturb your main OS. Great fodder for future articles.

Good idea. 

Chris,

Thank you for the nicely articualted view into your vision for a server.  Clearly a few steps beyond the "normal" PC build.  Very carefully thought out. Beautifully implemented.  

I am sure the trials of the build were many!  

You make me want to try HQPlayer now!

RJF

1 minute ago, bobfa said:

Chris,

Thank you for the nicely articualted view into your vision for a server.  Clearly a few steps beyond the "normal" PC build.  Very carefully thought out. Beautifully implemented.  

I am sure the trials of the build were many!  

You make me want to try HQPlayer now!

RJF

Thanks Bob. Yes, I have a desktop full of parts that didn’t work, are extra, or were completely unneeded. Such is life when there are no step by step guides :~)

HQPlayer is a must have for those who like options / choices. @Miska is an incredibly talented individual. 

Chris,

I started building a server and an endpoint using AMD Ryzen 7300 CPUs and ASUS motherboards a couple of months ago.  I have also had trouble getting graphics cards and power supplies.  I have been running one of them as a single box Roon Server and endpoint.  You have inspired me to play a little bit further and in a slightly different direction.  I will update my threads with what I am doing.  

I do have a couple of CAPS related questions.

How do you sync your music files between your NAS and your Server?  I am using Qsync with my QNAP because it is free.

As I had indicated before I am interested in HQPlayer.  It looks like the HQPlayer thread is  721 pages deep....  I am kind of looking for a two direction quick start.  One for HQPlayer desktop on the main server and maybe one with HQPlayer for Roon.    Might this be a time for some sort of Quickstart/cookie cutter starting point?

My endpoint is running Gentoo Player right now so that may create some interesting things to deal with.  I can always add another M.2 drive and dual boot!

Bob

Chris, are you going to overclock this or feel no need?

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +_iFi  AC iPurifiers >Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Conditioning+Isolation>CAPS IV Pipeline Server + Sonore 12V PS>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>RPi4 (dietpi)>Kii Control>Kii Three >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Listening: (1) CAPS Pipeline>Matrix Element i Streamer/DAC (XLR)>Schiit Freya>Kii Three .(2) CAPS>ifi iDAC SPDIF>Kii Control.

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup. Living Room/Kitchen: RB Pi 3B+ running RoPieee to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

19 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

No need so far but I will if necessary. 

You probably will end up overclocking. Also, running Roon and HQP together on the same machine can lead to problems. PM me if you want to know how I solved it on my machine.

I’ve been running RoonServer and HQP on my i7 server and so long as I don’t upscale past DSD128, it has been fine. I want to build Chris’s server to go up from there, but what incompatibility on the same server have you encountered?

Also, given the shortage of the specified GPU card, I will advise that if anyone is in the Minneapolis metro area and is planning to build, Microcenter in St. Louis Park has one remaining of the specified GPU available only for pickup and not online purchase. I got mine there earlier today. JCR 

59 minutes ago, jrobbins50 said:

I’ve been running RoonServer and HQP on my i7 server and so long as I don’t upscale past DSD128, it has been fine. I want to build Chris’s server to go up from there, but what incompatibility on the same server have you encountered?

Also, given the shortage of the specified GPU card, I will advise that if anyone is in the Minneapolis metro area and is planning to build, Microcenter in St. Louis Park has one remaining of the specified GPU available only for pickup and not online purchase. I got mine there earlier today. JCR 

A server with this amount of computing power probably won't have any problem running Roon and HQP together. I do not have a GPU and am running an i5 8400 passively cooled so resources are tighter. I found that I would get a short pause at the beginning of many tracks streaming from Tidal or Qobuz. This would only happen when running  ASDM7EC @ DSD 256 and especially with the more demanding filters even if they were the 2s variant (the 2s filters are all I can run without pushing the core temps too high).  When I analyzed what was happening it coincided with Roon downloading the track. What I had to do to solve this is not really an appropriate discussion here in this article. I will say that it involved several UEFI/BIOS changes and some core and priority tuning and load lightening in Win 10. I can now run poly-sinc mp 2s/ASDM7EC @ DSD 256 from Roon streaming (I don't have any local files anymore) without any issue and core temps are in the 65-75 degree range which for passive cooling is pretty good. The two modulator cores are of course the highest as they are running at 100% all the time. I realize that I am pushing it and many think it shouldn't work at all but the i5 8400 overclocks well to a point and for me that point just happens to be far enough.