IGNORED

What iPad for Roon Remote?

Perhaps this is too basic of a question, but I am looking into purchasing an iPad to use as a Roon remote control. I have been using an iPhone XR for sometime, but it is a bit slow and more importantly the screen is too small for my aging(sigh) eyes. Although I wouldn't mind if it were useful for other things, all I really need is a reasonably good Roon remote control for a 5k+ album library with Qobuz service. There appears to be a lot of options via Newegg in the sub $300 range, which is about all I'd want to spend on a remote control. More than that and I'd consider using a stand alone AIO touchscreen, or simply a touch screen with a longer cable to my server. I have both available but would love something more mobile.

Any suggestions on what and where would be appreciated.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

6 hours ago, 4est said:

Perhaps this is too basic of a question, but I am looking into purchasing an iPad to use as a Roon remote control. I have been using an iPhone XR for sometime, but it is a bit slow and more importantly the screen is too small for my aging(sigh) eyes. Although I wouldn't mind if it were useful for other things, all I really need is a reasonably good Roon remote control for a 5k+ album library with Qobuz service. There appears to be a lot of options via Newegg in the sub $300 range, which is about all I'd want to spend on a remote control. More than that and I'd consider using a stand alone AIO touchscreen, or simply a touch screen with a longer cable to my server. I have both available but would love something more mobile.

Any suggestions on what and where would be appreciated.

If the main purpose of the iPad is as a Roon remote, the basic 9.7 inch iPad will be fine. I have an older iPad Air 2, and it works as a remote with no issues. The only issue is not the iPad itself, but if you are sure it will be large enough for you. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

49 minutes ago, firedog said:

If the main purpose of the iPad is as a Roon remote, the basic 9.7 inch iPad will be fine. I have an older iPad Air 2, and it works as a remote with no issues. The only issue is not the iPad itself, but if you are sure it will be large enough for you. 

Well, I am not THAT blind, lol. Thanks Firedog, I just didn't want to purchase one and have it be so slow that I wouldn't use it.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

We have a 2018 iPod mini and a “late 2019” standard model that work very well. But if you only want a tablet as a Roon remote, consider an Android tablet.  I have one in each of 4 rooms and am just as happy with them as I am with the iPad for Roon.  I got a nice one for $100 on sale & love it.  So when I saw one for $50, I bought that and love it so much I got a second one.  

All good things come to an end.  The next sale I couldn’t resist was a Digiland Android tablet for $30 (yes - $30).  It runs an older version of the Android OS, and it works OK.......it’s just a bit slow at everything.  So it’s the Roon remote in the room we use least, and I won’t buy an Android again that can’t run a current or recent version of the OS.