IGNORED

Some Good Summer Music Reads

I am reading "The Song of the Hawk" by John Chilton. Well written, with lots of interesting comments on Coleman Hawkins's music, live or recorded sessions, interviews and quotes of musicians who played with him. The last chapter brought a few tears to my eyes. 

I did not know that Coleman Hawkins was a classical music fan. He had a good quality stereo system, and only played classical music at home, preferring to hear jazz as it was played live. He always wanted to record an album of Bach, which he greatly admired. Here's a quote of his when asked by a reporter to give advice to young musicians:

"If they think they are doing something new they ought to do what I do every day. I spend at least two hours every day listening to Johann Sebastian Bach, and man, it's all there. If they want to learn to improvise around a theme, which is the essence of jazz (adding blue notes), they should learn from the master. He never wastes a note, and he knows where every note is going and when to bring it back. Some of these cats go way out and forget where they began or what they started to do. Bach will clear it up for them".

4 hours ago, ronfint said:

I think that you will enjoy it. The 1960s were exciting times for jazz. I wish that I had known about/ had made the effort to visit some of the places talked about — especially the loft scene.

And you missed Coleman Hawkins 😭

Not to mention Duke Ellington at the Rainbow Grill. 

Must have been fun being in NYC at the time.