IGNORED

How long do SSDs last ?

How long do SSDs last ?

I found this article quite interesting, and somewhat reassuring.

https://www.ontrack.com/en-au/blog/how-long-do-ssds-really-last-2

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Music storage is write-once, read non-intensive, so write intensive task test result may not apply.

Unpowered data retention is reduced after significant drive rewrite.

On Windows, when uncorrectable read error happens, this message is shown.

CRCerror.PNG.96a4f9ad013a45bf57eaad8a7ba4cebd.PNG

Sunday programmer since 1985

Developer of PlayPcmWin

What about programs that constantly search entire catalogs; Roon, backup softwares, etc?  

The question was "How Long Do SSD Last?"  The answer is good quality SSD will handle an order of magnitude or better of constant I/O than rated.  The deeper answer is legacy SSD of known good quality are still in constant, inconstant, infrequent, and still retaining all data after being unpowered for substantial amounts of time... use.  Imperfect examples, certainly.

1 hour ago, rando said:

What about programs that constantly search entire catalogs; Roon, backup softwares, etc? 

Read-intensive means busy read 24/7. It never happens on a home music storage SSD. Therefore this is off-topic but on the read intensive usage, SSD unrecoverable bit error rate is known to be significantly higher than HDD and this can be problematic for data center, about one event per 10 years for one SSD == 3 to 5 event per 10 days for 1,000 busy read SSDs. When it happens, typically the CRC error dialog in my last post will be shown and a program stops to work.

Sunday programmer since 1985

Developer of PlayPcmWin