Jump to content
dminches

Turning off Windows Services

Recommended Posts

Has anyone spent time manually turning off Windows services that aren't needed for audio purposes?  I know AO does some trimming of Windows processes but there are tons of services that seem to still be running even after optimization.

 

I have started to compile a list but I haven't yet spent the time to go through each one.  Just wondering if anyone has done this already.

 

Here is a potential list although some of these are likely still needed:

 

AllJoyn Router Servic
Application Layer Gateway Servic
AVCTP service: if you don’t use Bluetooth Audio Device or Wireless Headphones.
BitLocker Drive Encryption Service: if you don’t use BitLocker storage encryption.
Bluetooth Support Service: if you don’t use any Bluetooth device.
Computer Browser: this will disable Network discovery of systems on the local network.
Connected User Experiences and Telemetry: it will disable Feedback, Telemetry and Data Collection.
Diagnostic Policy Service
Diagnostic Tracking Service: it will turn off Telemetry and Data Collection.
Distributed Link Tracking Client: if you don’t need to use a network.
dmwappushsvc (To turn off Telemetry and Data Collection)
Downloaded Maps Manager: if you don’t use the Bing Maps app.
Enterprise App Management Servic
File History Service: if you don’t intend to use Windows Backup or System Restore.
Geolocation Servic
Infrared monitor service: if you never use File transfer via infrared devices.
Internet Connection Sharing: it is an old service that can be disabled.
IP Helper: if you don’t use IPv6 connection.
Netlogon: if you are not on a domain controller environment.
Offline File
Parental Control: if you don’t use the Parental Control feature.
Print Spooler: if you don’t use a Printer.
Program Compatibility Assistant Service: it will hinder your running in the Compatibility Mode though.
Remote Desktop Configuration and Remote Desktop Service
Remote Registry: you’d better disable it. Then, no one can access your Registry remotely.
Retail Demo Servic
Secondary Logon
Security Center (Check this)
Smart Car
TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper: if you are not a part of a Workgroup network.
Touch Keyboard and Handwriting Panel Service: if you don’t use a touch device.
Windows Biometric Servic
Windows Camera Frame Server: if you never use a webcam or an integrated camera.
Windows Connect No
Windows Defender Service (If you don't use Windows Defender program)
Windows Error Reporting Service: if you don’t need to save or send error reports.
Windows Image Acquisition: if you don’t use a Scanner.
Windows Insider Service: if you are not a part of the Windows Insider Program.
Windows Media Player Network Sharing Servic
Windows Mobile Hotspot Servic
Windows Search: if you never use Windows Search.

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (WS 2016/AO/HQPlayer/Roon)> Lampizator Big 7 DAC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Switching off the Windows services improves SQ. I have now about 50 processes with remote and about 45 services without remote connection (the optimal operation). Some services can only be removed permanently by completely deleting them from the registry. For example Windows Update. @dminches How many processes do you run?

 

spacer.png

 

I have described my incomplete list here:

On 3/16/2020 at 1:04 PM, StreamFidelity said:

 

Building on that, it continues. 🙂

 

2.2.3 Switching off unnecessary services

 

While previous optimizations were largely without deep PC knowledge, this chapter requires more attention. If you click on the "Services" tab in the Windows Task Manager, you will see all existing services. The services that are running are interesting. Sorting is possible by clicking on "Status". Not all running services are needed.

 

I like to use regedit.exe. Take a look in Per-user services in Windows 10 and Windows Server . The start entry is set to "4" = Disabled.

34755126mt.jpg

 

At the moment I have switched off the following services (be careful to do that😞

AppXSvc

cbdhsvc

CDPUserSvc

TabletInputService

FDResPub

OneSyncSvc

UsoSvc

PlugPlay

LanmanServer

DoSvc

QWAVE

WpnUserService

wscsvc

WinHttpAutoProxySvc

wcncsvc

TokenBroker

StateRepository

SgrmBroker

mpssvc

cplspcon

cphs

jhi_service

igfxCUIService

LMS

BDESVC

SENS

DusmSvc

ShellHWDetection

 

More services can be switched off if Remote Control is not used. I currently have 60 processes active.

spacer.png

 

 

Many experts can do much less. In my experience, less is not the same as better. After every optimization, I therefore conduct a test with LatencyMon This is free software for private purposes and very reliably indicates malfunctions of, for example, faulty drivers during audio playback. For me, everything is green with extremely low latencies.

38074038cu.png

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will give you a list after I play with this for a while.  Thanks for posting your list.

 


Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (WS 2016/AO/HQPlayer/Roon)> Lampizator Big 7 DAC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, dminches said:

Has anyone spent time manually turning off Windows services that aren't needed for audio purposes?  I know AO does some trimming of Windows processes but there are tons of services that seem to still be running even after optimization.

 

I have started to compile a list but I haven't yet spent the time to go through each one.  Just wondering if anyone has done this already.

 

Here is a potential list although some of these are likely still needed:

 

AllJoyn Router Servic
Application Layer Gateway Servic
AVCTP service: if you don’t use Bluetooth Audio Device or Wireless Headphones.
BitLocker Drive Encryption Service: if you don’t use BitLocker storage encryption.
Bluetooth Support Service: if you don’t use any Bluetooth device.
Computer Browser: this will disable Network discovery of systems on the local network.
Connected User Experiences and Telemetry: it will disable Feedback, Telemetry and Data Collection.
Diagnostic Policy Service
Diagnostic Tracking Service: it will turn off Telemetry and Data Collection.
Distributed Link Tracking Client: if you don’t need to use a network.
dmwappushsvc (To turn off Telemetry and Data Collection)
Downloaded Maps Manager: if you don’t use the Bing Maps app.
Enterprise App Management Servic
File History Service: if you don’t intend to use Windows Backup or System Restore.
Geolocation Servic
Infrared monitor service: if you never use File transfer via infrared devices.
Internet Connection Sharing: it is an old service that can be disabled.
IP Helper: if you don’t use IPv6 connection.
Netlogon: if you are not on a domain controller environment.
Offline File
Parental Control: if you don’t use the Parental Control feature.
Print Spooler: if you don’t use a Printer.
Program Compatibility Assistant Service: it will hinder your running in the Compatibility Mode though.
Remote Desktop Configuration and Remote Desktop Service
Remote Registry: you’d better disable it. Then, no one can access your Registry remotely.
Retail Demo Servic
Secondary Logon
Security Center (Check this)
Smart Car
TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper: if you are not a part of a Workgroup network.
Touch Keyboard and Handwriting Panel Service: if you don’t use a touch device.
Windows Biometric Servic
Windows Camera Frame Server: if you never use a webcam or an integrated camera.
Windows Connect No
Windows Defender Service (If you don't use Windows Defender program)
Windows Error Reporting Service: if you don’t need to save or send error reports.
Windows Image Acquisition: if you don’t use a Scanner.
Windows Insider Service: if you are not a part of the Windows Insider Program.
Windows Media Player Network Sharing Servic
Windows Mobile Hotspot Servic
Windows Search: if you never use Windows Search.

I use Windows Server 2019 Core - I have 39 Process 393 / 9440 handles - I can get it down a bit more by going into the registry edit but this seems good enough. THis is before I launch HQPlayer 4.0

Kelvin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, kelvinwsy said:

I use Windows Server 2019 Core - I have 39 Process 393 / 9440 handles - I can get it down a bit more by going into the registry edit but this seems good enough. THis is before I launch HQPlayer 4.0

Kelvin

 

Do you have a log of what you turned off?

 


Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (WS 2016/AO/HQPlayer/Roon)> Lampizator Big 7 DAC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can send a snapshot of the processes and tasks listed under Taskmaster. Just hang on for a few minutes

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here we go after using Taskmaster to shutdown    3-4 more processes 

39 just b4 activating Hwplayer 4.6

 

5187063A-5256-4A5C-B4E4-2D3F59859539.jpeg

897B54E7-DE94-4363-A8CA-480ED2FE10AA.jpeg

A67DC22A-A59F-49B3-A787-B08EBC5611FE.jpeg

BFAC8865-D88E-47D2-877A-4C18B8F21327.jpeg

58D262AA-62CA-401C-8C5E-40F96946A2ED.jpeg

506C522C-487A-4AF0-994D-037D9A287676.jpeg

504A05D9-C083-488A-AC19-2E5ACF64CA13.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

THis is very stable. Just that a few processes pops back up. eg System Depositary? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/14/2020 at 11:19 AM, StreamFidelity said:

Switching off the Windows services improves SQ. I have now about 50 processes with remote and about 45 services without remote connection (the optimal operation). Some services can only be removed permanently by completely deleting them from the registry. For example Windows Update. @dminches How many processes do you run?

 

 

I am at 79 processes now but I have just gotten started.  I need to now disable some one by one to make sure everything runs fine without them.

 

Which audio software are you running?  Roon and HQPlayer?

 

I am just running Roon.  My latencies are much higher than yours but that is probably due to some services that I am still running.

 


Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (WS 2016/AO/HQPlayer/Roon)> Lampizator Big 7 DAC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@AudioPhil, it would be good if you’d weigh in based on your expertise on the propriety, or sonic usefulness, of shutting down any of the above mentioned additional Windows services on top of what AO does automatically. For example, I use WS2019 with an i7 processor in GUI mode (with RoonServer shell), have Roon, JRiver and HQP on my server and use VNC Viewer to remote into my server for control and diagnostics. As a result, right now I have 67 Windows processes and 18 background processes running.
 

Of my 15.4Gb of usable memory, I am using 5.8Gb, 4.2Gb of which is Roon alone, so there’s not a lot to be gained by additional removals as I see it. I have no clue personally as to what can safely be shut down and/or permanently removed. But, if it would markedly improve sound quality or latency as to track initiation or switching, then I’d like to sit in on your master class. :)  JCR 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/16/2020 at 9:46 AM, jrobbins50 said:

@AudioPhil, it would be good if you’d weigh in based on your expertise on the propriety, or sonic usefulness, of shutting down any of the above mentioned additional Windows services on top of what AO does automatically. For example, I use WS2019 with an i7 processor in GUI mode (with RoonServer shell), have Roon, JRiver and HQP on my server and use VNC Viewer to remote into my server for control and diagnostics. As a result, right now I have 67 Windows processes and 18 background processes running.
 

Of my 15.4Gb of usable memory, I am using 5.8Gb, 4.2Gb of which is Roon alone, so there’s not a lot to be gained by additional removals as I see it. I have no clue personally as to what can safely be shut down and/or permanently removed. But, if it would markedly improve sound quality or latency as to track initiation or switching, then I’d like to sit in on your master class. :)  JCR 

 

I have never run WS 2019 with RoonServer as the shell.  If you want to get back to the GUI, how do you do that?

 

Also, do you set the shell after your run AO or before?

 

 


Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (WS 2016/AO/HQPlayer/Roon)> Lampizator Big 7 DAC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The RoonServer shell is merely a black screen. So, it looks like you are booted up into core mode. You can get AO to do that at any time, so if you have full GUI, just go into AO to set a shell. 

There are two ways out. You can use control-alt-delete to get to Task Manager / file / run new task / cmd and manipulate commands from there. You can also just go back into AO and have it restore the full GUI. 
 

I have a middle position that works well for me. I go to Task Manager / new file / cmd and select Explorer. That brings up Windows Explorer and I select my Desktop, where I’ve stored shortcuts to everything of interest. You can see in the attached screenshot that I don’t need to use cmd commands for anything because I have access from the desktop to Control Panel, Sconfig for Windows updates, shutdown and restart the server, run my programs, etc. Works great. JCR 

 

image.thumb.png.2a81cfbfb5ac4fbf72945ff7f213e4bb.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/16/2020 at 12:20 PM, StreamFidelity said:

 

Only the HQPlayer is running on my Audio PC. Also MinorityClean and PrimoCache. Then nothing.

I use ProceLasso & MinorityClean on my server but what is the advantage of Primocache and your settings?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jrobbins50 said:

The RoonServer shell is merely a black screen. So, it looks like you are booted up into core mode. You can get AO to do that at any time, so if you have full GUI, just go into AO to set a shell. 

There are two ways out. You can use control-alt-delete to get to Task Manager / file / run new task / cmd and manipulate commands from there. You can also just go back into AO and have it restore the full GUI. 
 

 

When you say "AO" I assume you mean Service Tool?

 


Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (WS 2016/AO/HQPlayer/Roon)> Lampizator Big 7 DAC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, jrobbins50 said:

I have a middle position that works well for me. I go to Task Manager / new file / cmd and select Explorer. That brings up Windows Explorer and I select my Desktop, where I’ve stored shortcuts to everything of interest.

 

I like it. There is another way. The Task Manager stores a list of the most recently accessed programs. You just choose it.

39030633zu.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...