IGNORED

Turning off Windows Services

@AudioPhil, it would be good if you’d weigh in based on your expertise on the propriety, or sonic usefulness, of shutting down any of the above mentioned additional Windows services on top of what AO does automatically. For example, I use WS2019 with an i7 processor in GUI mode (with RoonServer shell), have Roon, JRiver and HQP on my server and use VNC Viewer to remote into my server for control and diagnostics. As a result, right now I have 67 Windows processes and 18 background processes running.

Of my 15.4Gb of usable memory, I am using 5.8Gb, 4.2Gb of which is Roon alone, so there’s not a lot to be gained by additional removals as I see it. I have no clue personally as to what can safely be shut down and/or permanently removed. But, if it would markedly improve sound quality or latency as to track initiation or switching, then I’d like to sit in on your master class. :)  JCR 

The RoonServer shell is merely a black screen. So, it looks like you are booted up into core mode. You can get AO to do that at any time, so if you have full GUI, just go into AO to set a shell. 

There are two ways out. You can use control-alt-delete to get to Task Manager / file / run new task / cmd and manipulate commands from there. You can also just go back into AO and have it restore the full GUI. 

I have a middle position that works well for me. I go to Task Manager / new file / cmd and select Explorer. That brings up Windows Explorer and I select my Desktop, where I’ve stored shortcuts to everything of interest. You can see in the attached screenshot that I don’t need to use cmd commands for anything because I have access from the desktop to Control Panel, Sconfig for Windows updates, shutdown and restart the server, run my programs, etc. Works great. JCR 

image.thumb.png.2a81cfbfb5ac4fbf72945ff7f213e4bb.png