IGNORED

Turning off Windows Services

Has anyone spent time manually turning off Windows services that aren't needed for audio purposes?  I know AO does some trimming of Windows processes but there are tons of services that seem to still be running even after optimization.

I have started to compile a list but I haven't yet spent the time to go through each one.  Just wondering if anyone has done this already.

Here is a potential list although some of these are likely still needed:

AllJoyn Router Servic
Application Layer Gateway Servic
AVCTP service: if you don’t use Bluetooth Audio Device or Wireless Headphones.
BitLocker Drive Encryption Service: if you don’t use BitLocker storage encryption.
Bluetooth Support Service: if you don’t use any Bluetooth device.
Computer Browser: this will disable Network discovery of systems on the local network.
Connected User Experiences and Telemetry: it will disable Feedback, Telemetry and Data Collection.
Diagnostic Policy Service
Diagnostic Tracking Service: it will turn off Telemetry and Data Collection.
Distributed Link Tracking Client: if you don’t need to use a network.
dmwappushsvc (To turn off Telemetry and Data Collection)
Downloaded Maps Manager: if you don’t use the Bing Maps app.
Enterprise App Management Servic
File History Service: if you don’t intend to use Windows Backup or System Restore.
Geolocation Servic
Infrared monitor service: if you never use File transfer via infrared devices.
Internet Connection Sharing: it is an old service that can be disabled.
IP Helper: if you don’t use IPv6 connection.
Netlogon: if you are not on a domain controller environment.
Offline File
Parental Control: if you don’t use the Parental Control feature.
Print Spooler: if you don’t use a Printer.
Program Compatibility Assistant Service: it will hinder your running in the Compatibility Mode though.
Remote Desktop Configuration and Remote Desktop Service
Remote Registry: you’d better disable it. Then, no one can access your Registry remotely.
Retail Demo Servic
Secondary Logon
Security Center (Check this)
Smart Car
TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper: if you are not a part of a Workgroup network.
Touch Keyboard and Handwriting Panel Service: if you don’t use a touch device.
Windows Biometric Servic
Windows Camera Frame Server: if you never use a webcam or an integrated camera.
Windows Connect No
Windows Defender Service (If you don't use Windows Defender program)
Windows Error Reporting Service: if you don’t need to save or send error reports.
Windows Image Acquisition: if you don’t use a Scanner.
Windows Insider Service: if you are not a part of the Windows Insider Program.
Windows Media Player Network Sharing Servic
Windows Mobile Hotspot Servic
Windows Search: if you never use Windows Search.

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (Sean Jacobs DC4/Euphony/Stylus)> Lampizator Pacific

I will give you a list after I play with this for a while.  Thanks for posting your list.

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (Sean Jacobs DC4/Euphony/Stylus)> Lampizator Pacific

48 minutes ago, kelvinwsy said:

I use Windows Server 2019 Core - I have 39 Process 393 / 9440 handles - I can get it down a bit more by going into the registry edit but this seems good enough. THis is before I launch HQPlayer 4.0

Kelvin

Do you have a log of what you turned off?

On 7/14/2020 at 11:19 AM, StreamFidelity said:

Switching off the Windows services improves SQ. I have now about 50 processes with remote and about 45 services without remote connection (the optimal operation). Some services can only be removed permanently by completely deleting them from the registry. For example Windows Update. @dminches How many processes do you run?

I am at 79 processes now but I have just gotten started.  I need to now disable some one by one to make sure everything runs fine without them.

Which audio software are you running?  Roon and HQPlayer?

I am just running Roon.  My latencies are much higher than yours but that is probably due to some services that I am still running.

On 7/16/2020 at 9:46 AM, jrobbins50 said:

@AudioPhil, it would be good if you’d weigh in based on your expertise on the propriety, or sonic usefulness, of shutting down any of the above mentioned additional Windows services on top of what AO does automatically. For example, I use WS2019 with an i7 processor in GUI mode (with RoonServer shell), have Roon, JRiver and HQP on my server and use VNC Viewer to remote into my server for control and diagnostics. As a result, right now I have 67 Windows processes and 18 background processes running.

Of my 15.4Gb of usable memory, I am using 5.8Gb, 4.2Gb of which is Roon alone, so there’s not a lot to be gained by additional removals as I see it. I have no clue personally as to what can safely be shut down and/or permanently removed. But, if it would markedly improve sound quality or latency as to track initiation or switching, then I’d like to sit in on your master class. :)  JCR 

I have never run WS 2019 with RoonServer as the shell.  If you want to get back to the GUI, how do you do that?

Also, do you set the shell after your run AO or before?

3 hours ago, jrobbins50 said:

The RoonServer shell is merely a black screen. So, it looks like you are booted up into core mode. You can get AO to do that at any time, so if you have full GUI, just go into AO to set a shell. 

There are two ways out. You can use control-alt-delete to get to Task Manager / file / run new task / cmd and manipulate commands from there. You can also just go back into AO and have it restore the full GUI. 

When you say "AO" I assume you mean Service Tool?