IGNORED

Article: What is Accurate Sound?

32 minutes ago, mitchco said:

The h/w solutions are not using as sophisticated analysis and design DSP software and are technically limited by the DSP chips aboard with how much filtering can be accomplished.

Does this means that Dirac as an example that is licensed to a HW manufacturer, may not perform as well as Dirac done before entering the DAC ? (Given same revision/version of SW). 

On 7/17/2020 at 2:58 PM, R1200CL said:

Can you enlighten us a bit more please. I did several search and to me it seems more the opposite .

Several links can be found here: http://www.audioartistry.com/index.htm

More about CBT and here

It is also my understanding CBT more applies above frequencies 3 to 400 Hz, where RC is more effective in the lower range. 

Somehow it seems engineers with sonar background is good FIR designers 😀

I'm sorry, but you misunderstood what I meant. I meant it ...  Look at the drawings with the words "NOPE"                       http://www.linkwitzlab.com/Keele - Introduction to CBT Loudspeaker Arrays.pdfhttp://www.linkwitzlab.com/Keele - Introduction to CBT Loudspeaker Arrays.pdf  

As regarding the phase-linearity various design of acoustic systems- here is an article for you ( but  in Russian)

https://metal-vinyl.co/articles/99.html

Moscow.Russia

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/18/2020 at 7:47 PM, mitchco said:

Hi @skatbelt Both Acourate and Audiolense DSP provide sophisticated digital XO capabilities. One can choose the type of digital XO, slopes and number of XO points. Here is an article on Acourate for a triamp system and here is another article on Audiolense that  integrates and time aligns dual subwoofers with stereo mains (which also happens to be biamped). Since the latter article, I upgraded to dual Rythmik F18 subs crossed at 45 Hz with a steep digital XO, as you can see in the Audiolense article. Further, these XO's sum perfectly in the frequency and time domains. You can see the frequency and time domain response of my upgraded system here. The time alignment of subs with the mains are virtually prefect.

In my stereo triamp system including dual subs, I use 6 DAC channels with 6 amps that connect directly to each speaker driver. It means I have full independent control over the frequency and timing response of each driver. Note one can also implement a full MCH surround system this way as well. Folks are using 8 or 16 channel DAC's for this scenario and decode using JRiver Media Center for to watch/listen to 5.1 movies for example.

The digital XO, driver time alignment, driver linearization, room correction with amplitude and excessphase correction, are implemented in a linear (or minimum) phase digital FIR filter that is hosted in a software convolution engine. There are many convolvers that can host these FIR filters on Windows, Mac, and Linux. Note there are system wide convolvers that take any source input to the computer and apply the filters. Or by using loopback, (like VB-Cable on Windows or Rogue Ameoba on Mac) one can also feed the convolvers from any audio source on the computer.

The major advantage of this DSP software over any h/w solution, as alluded to in post 35, is that the resolution, accuracy and precision of the digital XO, time alignment, driver linearization, and room correction capabilities, far exceeds any h/w solution. The h/w solutions are not using as sophisticated analysis and design DSP software and are technically limited by the DSP chips aboard with how much filtering can be accomplished. As mentioned in post 35, most h/w DSP is limited to 2048 taps, including Lyngdorf Room Perfect. Whereas in software we can implement 65,536 or even 131,072 taps. It makes a huge difference in the resolution, accuracy, and precision of the low frequency room correction as the lower in frequency you go, the more taps are required, especially if you are integrating subs into your system.

Well, I guess I should buy a second DAVE then... 🤪

Streamer dCS Network Bridge DAC Chord DAVE Amplifier / DRC Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 Speakers Lindemann BL-10 | JL audio E-sub e110 Head-fi and reference Bakoon HPA-21 | Audeze LCD-3 (f) Power and isolation Dedicated power line | Xentek extreme isolation transformer (1KVA, balanced) | Uptone Audio EtherREGEN + Ferrum Hypsos | Sonore OpticalModule + Uptone Audio UltraCap LPS-1.2 | Jensen CI-1RR Cables Jorma Digital XLR (digital), Grimm Audio SQM RCA (analog), Kimber 8TC + WBT (speakers), custom star-quad with Oyaide connectors (AC), Ferrum (DC) and Ghent (ethernet) Software dCS Mosaic | Tidal | Qobuz

• 4 months later...
5 minutes ago, yyz said:

I got Mitch to fix my room with his remote service. He first helped me fix speaker driver and wiring issues (DIY job by previous owner). Then he did his magic. Just transformative results. I am done with my office system. Not changing a thing.

https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/7605

Great to read. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

• 1 year later...
On 12/1/2022 at 6:12 PM, mitchco said:

Hi @R1200CLthanks for the article. Agree with @The Computer Audiophile that it is good to see companies advancing audio DSP forward. 

I read the article and watched the video. There was mention of an AES paper that describes the technical details. I searched the AES library but could not find it. Let me know if you come across the name of the AES paper as I would love to read it! Maybe @flak can point us to it...?

I think this is the one they refer to: https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/abstract/document/6451160/

• 4 weeks later...

Excellent article, thank you. 

Do you know if audyssey is a good tool ? There is trick to custom the target. 

Could you, please, share us how a headphone should sound to be similar ? 

I read your LCD-4 and 5 comparaison and you aren't agreed with harman research (notably about the 3K peak). 

Note that sonarworks's neutral target has this 3K gain for simulate real life ear gain. 

Thanks in advance. 

46 minutes ago, mitchco said:

Welcome to Audiophile Style.

Audessey does not make my list of SOTA DRC programs

Given there is no "room" with headphones, a neutral response is flat across the frequency spectrum. And given headphones are minimum phase devices, one can achieve the ideal minimum phase response, just like loudspeakers as mentioned in the article.

It is the Wild West when it comes to headphone measurements and correction filters. And we can say goodbye to the Harman target.

The LCD-4 and 5 high resolution FIR convolution filtersets are available as a free trial with Hang Loose Convolver. If you own those headphones or others that I have convolution filters for, give it a try and listen for yourself.

Cheers.

Hi Mitch, 

Do you have a list with the headphone models you have available? I could not find them in your new website. 

Happy 2023!