IGNORED

Article: What is Accurate Sound?

9 minutes ago, ALLDIGITAL said:

Mithco, thank you for a very informative article. I currently use a INNUOS Zenith SE MKII music server running ROON Core. I tried room correction in the past unsuccessfully using an Anti-mode 2.0 system. I am now considering two different approaches to room correction:

1. Roon Convolution filters 

2. New amplifier with room correction in the amplifier. (Lyngdorf TDAI with Room Perfect)

Assuming you are familiar with Room Perfect software, would you please share your thoughts on this product.

What approach to room correction do you think would yield the best results. Thanks for you consideration of of questions. 

I’m a huge fan of separating DSP from hardware like an amp. It gives you greater flexibility. I use convolution filters in Roon all the time. The great thing is they can be enabled/disabled with the tap of a finger and you don’t have expensive hardware designed to use DSP. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

7 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

I think I just have to accept the fact that I’m into a mission impossible here 😀

And above my technical knowledge and understanding

Many people in this hobby get frustrated or shy away from this because of its complexity. I did for many years. Once I talked to Mitch about it and found out I could hand the hard parts over to him, all was right in my HiFi world. 

Everyone has their specialties. Computer audio and networking are right up my alley. Turntables and room correction are rocket science to me. I need to call in the experts or spend a ton of time educating myself and going through more trial and error than I care for. Mitch isn’t the only expert in the field but his service is fantastic and his results are objectively stellar. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

1 minute ago, skatbelt said:

I agree with you in the case of a 2.0 setup but if one - like me - wants to perfectly integrate monitor speakers with one or two subwoofers the Lyngdorf approach is hard to beat. Besides it's powerful DRC/DSP (Roomperfect) it excels in integrating subwoofers with a build in (all digital) cross-over functionality that has simply all the flexibility that one could wish for. I for example like to not use monitor speakers full range and have steep XO filter around 60 Hz. To let monitor speakers and subwoofers do what they do best. This approach also distresses the amplifier.

It is a challenge though to achieve optimal results. This is because Roomperfect itself is not able to determine the latency / distance / timing compensation needs for subwoofers. Lyngdorf recommends a rough distance measuring method but to achieve the best results, REW measurements are necessary. Fortunately there is a lot of material available online on how to do this.

Another advantage of hardware based DSP is that room correction works for all sources, so not only Roon.

A remark for @ALLDIGITAL. Lyngdorf is not the only player in the field. These other parties come to mind: Trinnov, Illusonic, DSPeaker and of course miniDSP/Dirac for smaller wallets.

I certainly here you when it comes to using sources other than Roon or JRiver. The Auralic Sirius is supposed to support convolution filters but I’m waiting to get my hands on it. 

With respect to using subwoofers, I believe @mitchco uses them and the digital crossover and has achieved nearly perfect results. It’s all available in Audiolense. 

• 4 months later...
5 minutes ago, yyz said:

I got Mitch to fix my room with his remote service. He first helped me fix speaker driver and wiring issues (DIY job by previous owner). Then he did his magic. Just transformative results. I am done with my office system. Not changing a thing.

https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/7605

Great to read. 

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...