IGNORED

Need Help identifying / Correcting PC Audio Hiss

LoryWiv

Are you playing from System Memory with the Windows Mixer and all PC sounds disabled ?

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Have you tried System Restore to back just before this started ?

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

2 minutes ago, LoryWiv said:

Great idea, but unfortunately system restore is not functioning properly on my computer for the last year or so since one of the infamous Windows updates. Fortunately except for this issue I have never needed it.

Have you tried it recently? I had the same problem quite a while back and had to go back before possibly the same one, then kept postponing Windows Updates.for several months 

Eventually they started working again, possibly due to a later update.

Did you retry System Restore ?

. No PC should ever have a level of permanent hiss when playing a music file, only perhaps a little graininess , or the feeling of a veil across low level ambience.

Isn't HQPlayer supposed to be able to eliminate all analogue related artifacts from the PC ?

If so, it suggests a problem in the Analogue area where even some Vacuum Tube amplifiers can be touchy in this respect, in part due to their usually much higher input impedance. and earth related effects 

34 minutes ago, LoryWiv said:

How would one diagnose / correct that issue? My OTL amp has output impedance around 50 ohms, I believe,, and primary headphone 300 ohms so would not expect impedance mismatch per se to be source, and galvanic isolation unit made no improvement. Other analogue domain / amp. related fixes to try?

I was talking about their often quite high Input impedance, which means they may be more prone to noise pickup . IIRC, there was a case recently where another member had problems with noise in a Vacuum Tube amplifier that was earth wiring related.

Incidentally, do you have any nearby SMPS plugpacks or SMPS powered devices ?

3 minutes ago, LoryWiv said:

I have components (Ext. HD, monitor) that use switched mode based on connector type below, bt no dedicated power supplies.

Capture.thumb.JPG.d5f648aa412baf044cd5796eb0d10755.JPG

It's unlikely to be the cause, but try unplugging it while listening to music.

FWIW, when I was much younger I always used to hear low level hiss with Vacuum Tube headphone amplifiers, or Preamps, but I never noticed it with Solid State gear with it's often >20dB higher S/N ratio.

Also, IME, Tinnitus doesn't normally manifest as a continuous low level white noise (hiss) or typical background level with volume flat out and no signal. It usually, but not always, has distinct higher audio frequency components of several kHz.

Does it sound like the attached when played at a lower level ? (White Noise)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w2pjxj3uyvxi1mc/track56.wav?dl=0

3 hours ago, LoryWiv said:

Hmmm, the wave file has similar but not identical characteristics....the file sounds like static, harsh in quality whereas my gremlin is more like wind, lacking that harshness. I recognize that may not frame the difference well, apologies if unhelpful.

FWIW, hiss from from Vacuum Tubes does not have that harshness of typical white noise .

Have you tied putting a short circuit on the output device end of the input cable to your amplification to see if that drops the hiss level  ?

Just unplug the lead at the source  device and connect a piece of wire across both the outer and inner of the RCA plugs.  Do this at maximum volume setting. You could always try this with different RCA leads as well if you do note an improvement .

That is a good move with Magnesium and Curcumin. I no longer need Magnesium which did help me immensely years ago with Tinnitus, but Curcumin /Turmeric is great for age related problems including Arthritis, and may even help with lower backache as well.😉

1 hour ago, LoryWiv said:

Regarding hiss from vacuum tubes and your own journey with Magnesium resulting in decreased tinnitus, has the eventual resultt been restored ability to enjoy tube amps relatively hiss fee?

These days they would be relatively hiss free, only due to my age, but I have never liked valve amplifiers due to the vast majority having higher even order distortion products resulting in additional warmth, which many seem to like. Grounded Grid topology valve amplifiers do however sound more like a good Solid State amplifier without the additional warmth.

I have previously constructed both valve amplifiers and Preamplifiers, and even owned a DAC with a valve output stage. My personal preference is for a good Class A Solid State amplifier, which normally has a natural warmth.

My Tinnitus was more like a chirping noise, which often made it difficult to get to sleep.

3 hours ago, davide256 said:

Another factor to consider is light sources, fluorescent and LED lightbulbs can cause RFI problems. Try turning off all lights in the room as a test

Or for that matter, circuit breakers at the powerboard for the rest of the house. 

3 minutes ago, LoryWiv said:

Sadly, i did the definitive experiment with HP on ear but disconnected from amp. The low level hiss is present. Clearly a form of tinnitus.

See if Ginkgo Forte (2,000mG) or Magnesium supplements help. Cashews are rich in Magnesium .