IGNORED

How to update DietPi with Allo GUI

Hi just got my Boss 1.2 and out of the box is working brilliantly. 

Struggling from the software end so would appreciate newbie support.

When connect to allo gui and pull up system settings it tells me I am using version v6.26.3  - (Update available):

I can see that we are now on v31

When I click update now I am redirected to the dietpi websire which tells me  the updates must be completed in the Linux terminal.

How do I update?:
To ensure stability and control of updates, they must be completed in the Linux terminal.

user = root
password = dietpi
Run the update:
Run the command dietpi-update
Follow the onscreen instructions to update the system.
Once completed, reboot the system. The device will now be running the latest version of DietPi.
NB: DietPi checks for updates daily, and during boot. If the update is not available, please reboot the system.

So my three questions are:

1) do I want to update (or will it break the allo gui)

and if I do 2) how to I do it? do I need a linux terminal? -  I'm using a MAcBookPro over my wireless connection to access the RP4 which is cabled to my router. Does update now not update now?

3) can you point me to link to a fresh install image so I can flash a back up sd card in case it all goes wrong. I can make that work for volumio but for some reasoan can't get an easy flash image of dietpi allo gui.

Thanks and sorry for being a newbie!

M.

So I ignored my should I question and found instructions for how to login using terminal on Mac OSX here:

Encountered an error on hardware setup mid update but hit cancel and I can't see any issue post update.

So so far so good.

Would be grateful to be pointed to the latest image to flash an sd drive though. Something could still go wrong....

• 5 months later...