IGNORED

Best floostand speakers for classical

DrNikonian

On 7/7/2020 at 6:45 PM, DrNikonian said:

Hi All,

I am owner of Sonus Faber Concertino Domus. I would like to upgrade into a pair of floor stand speaker to expand music stage of classical and symphony music.

Which is the best within 2000-3000 USD cost? Buckhardt Audio or Sonus Faber or others?

Thank you very much

On 7/7/2020 at 8:56 PM, cjf said:

Finding a good tower speaker within the provided price range is a tough job.

I can't tell from this thread whether you're looking for stand-mounted speakers or towers. Either way, you might consider looking at Focal.  I've been impressed with every one of their products that I've heard (so much so that I bought a pair of their towers).  And their current line includes some really fine examples of both stand mount and tower speakers.

12 hours ago, DrNikonian said:

I am looking for the tower speakers. Could you kindly specify the best Focal for classical music?
Thank you

The concept of the "best" doesn't really apply to speakers or most other things.  The "best" Focal is the Grande Utopia, which costs $130,000 USD each - I doubt that you're interested in it, but it's an amazing speaker system.  Their Chora and Aria lines will probably interest you.

All Focals, like all of the products in many lines, have similar characteristics. They're smooth, natural and articulate (i.e. if it's in the source material, you will hear it clearly). They use the same drivers in most of their models, and their tweeters are detailed but not at all harsh or shrill.  Bass tends to be tighter and less dramatic than from many other brands, which is great for classical because cellos, basses, pianos etc sound quite natural to me.  They all present a big, natural soundstage.

They offer many alternatives from relatively small bookshelf / stand speakers to large floorstanding models and from relatively inexpensive to 6 figures.  Decide what size and price you want / need, then go to their website and look at what they offer. Once you have an idea of the model(s) that suit your needs, you can make a more reasoned choice.  A good small speaker placed well in a suitable room can sound amazing - you may not want or need a floor standing model.  You have to listen to them yourself.

6 minutes ago, DrNikonian said:

Dear bluesman,

You've unfolded my blindness by these valuable advises. I own you a drink!
Thank you very much

Trust your ears - they’re your window into the music, and no one else can use them.  Enjoy your music as you like to hear it - that’s the true best!

4 hours ago, DrNikonian said:

@bluesman: It's me again!

I tried Focal 726 at showroom and feel not interesting with it's sound quality. The sounds seems to be stiff and lack musicality, due to the speakers are new and still on run-in period. 

Is Focal Chora 826 better than 726? (I can not try it at studio as it is outstosk). Should I order 826 despite 726? (Cost difference between 2 models just 200 USD)

Your experience advises would make me take final decision.

Thank you very much.

I have a pair of 726s.  They definitely need a break-in period.  The 826s have a bit deeper bass but are similar in character & SQ otherwise.  I’ve loved mine, but I liked them the first time I heard them at my dealer’s showroom, most of which are terrible places to audition speakers.  The many other speakers in the room are all damped passive radiators, the units you’re hearing are virtually unplayed, and the rest of the system is usually completely different from yours.

Predicting how speakers will sound when played in is like predicting how a wine will age.  I’ve been lucky in predicting correctly for my ears with most of the speakers I’ve bought over the years.  There’s a big difference between a stiffness that will loosen up with playing and what you perceive as a lack of musicality, which is very hard to define and often part of the character of the speakers.

I drive my 726s with a Prima Luna tube amp, which makes them bloom beautifully.  But they sound quite nice with my Wadia 151 and even with my old Alexis 150, although not as rich and musical as they do with the PL.  So I think you should listen to more speakers before making up your mind.

2 hours ago, DrNikonian said:

With your advises and your wise experience, I don't feel any hesitate to pick up a pair of Focal Chora. Within my budget, I believe it's the best choice and I prefer to pay extra 200 bucks to own 826 as its beauty and more elegance than 726.

I am in debt your advises and patience.

With warmest personal regards,

It’s my pleasure to help.  I couldn’t be happier with my 726s, although the additional bass range of the 826 would be nice.  We retired and now live in an apartment, so I can’t turn it up as loud as I used to do in our house - and a 30 Hz tone would be heard as clearly in an apartment 2 floors away from ours as it is in our living room.  We were still in the house when I bought them, but I knew I was retiring and planned ahead.

To break mine in, I left an internet stream on at low volume 24/7 for 2 weeks, when I wasn’t listening.  Within a month, they were quite sweet and natural.  I did get to hear a pair of $100k USD Focals at the dealer, and they’re wonderful for sure.  But the character and sound quality are very similar to the Chora and other Focals I’ve heard.  The differences are in fine areas like immediacy, tighter deep bass, and a bit more detail - for example, string sections sound a little bit more like multiple players.  But the additional cost is far, far more than the additional benefits in my opinion.

Enjoy them!