IGNORED

USBridge Sound Signature

Hi,

I've recently received a USBridge Signature and am connecting it via USB to my DAC. I'm using it to stream audio from my NAS. The sound I get via the USBridge is very warm whereas I was getting a more neutral, balanced sound when using my pre-existing setup. Is this how the USBridge actually sounds? Or is it an indicator that something may not be quite right?

Regards
Dave

Hi Dave

If your your reference for SQ is an ESS chip based DAC, then you will find that the artificial extreme top end resonance that you are used to is not there with the USBridge Sig.  The SQ of the USBridge Sig is much more faithful to the timbre of real voices and instruments in a live performance. To me, the SQ of an ESS chip based DAC is more analytical, and although somewhat more impressive sounding than real life, produces listener fatigue fairly quickly.         

To me, the SQ of the USBridge Sig is noticeably changed by the quality of the power supply and power supply cabling,  If you are using the Shanti LPS, replacing the ridiculously inadequate factory supplied power cable with a Ghent / Gotham really improves the overall SQ.  If you are using the wallwart SMPS, replacing it with a LPS and decent cable is a definite upgrade.

SB88200 cable modem,  EdgeRouterX SFP router,  2 series PFU Buffalo BS-GS2016 switches w/ SR7T LPS and Finisar FTLX1475D3BTL SFPs, Taiko NetCard, JCAT USBCard XE w/ JCAT Optimo 3 Duo LPS;  DIY Taiko Extreme w/ Taiko DC-ATX, and Nenon design Level 3 supply;  Denafrips GAIA DDC w/ Revelation Audio Prophecy Cryro Silver I2S connection to Denafrips Terminator Plus DAC;  modified Pass Labs XP22 preamp,  Pass X600.8 monoblocks,  restored and modified Sound Lab M-1 electrostats with hot rod backplates

3 hours ago, allo.com said:

Hi Dave

USBridge Sig is ultra low noise output. I am suggesting the sound signature comes from the system not USBridge

When you say "the system" what do you mean? The USBridge is using the shanti PSU, my DAC and power amps are connected to clean power network, purpose built for my stereo/av setup, that is isolated from the rest of electrical supply in the house via henley block.

If I switch the usb cable over to my custom PC the sound changes as I described above.

2 hours ago, Zauurx said:

Beyond the SQ / Hardware / power supply, the software has really an impact.
Try GentooPlayer with a good Profile (Profile2) and with softs in Ram (ex: Ram choice 1).

I have wondered about this. As I'm used to Jriver Media Centre could it be so much better than volumio that this explains the difference I'm hearing?

1 hour ago, media-mogul said:

I have wondered about this. As I'm used to Jriver Media Centre could it be so much better than volumio that this explains the difference I'm hearing?

It's as simple as changing the SD card !!
Do like me: 2 SD cards to test Volumio, GentooPlayer .. a download, Rufus, 2 clicks .. an go!

ROON + HQP / Hdplex H3-i5 + 400ATX >Gustard A26 (NAA twk) > SQM > Benchmark AHB2 / Recital Audio Illumine HEFA

What I am saying is that USBridge Sig is outputting a very clean digital signal . no HF noise.

If you hear a big change in sound its because all the HF noise was removed from your system (DAC and Amp). Everyone has a taste and you might like the sound "bright" or "balanced". However USBridge is doing its job and removing all (most) HF noise from the digital input. Note that noise was not supposed to be there in the first place.

Now that being said...pay attention to your earthing. USbridge Sig earth nut connected to Shanti earth nut . In some cases try to take a wire from earth of DAC to Shanti as well. Experiment and find the best way.

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies if this is not the right thread to ask a question like this but I was not sure if starting a new thread would be sensible . I know that you use the Raspberry Pi 3 as the basis for your Bridge but that you do quite a bit of additional work on top of that .

What I am asking is have you made a Bridge (prototype) using the Pi 4 ? In paticular the Pi 4 8gb unit . I have used a Raspberry Pi as my stand alone Music Server for many years and over that time I have upgraded the Pi as newer quicker versions were made and seen the speed and the response times get better. The latest unit I was using since its inroduction was the Raspberry Pi 4 4gb which was really fast and smooth with excellent response times using LMS as the software via Max2play . At no time during the changes do I notice any change in sound quality for the server until now .

My Pi 4 4gb blew up and when i came to replace it I just thought what the hell get an 8 gb and just get that little bit more speed and head room . I know for what i am using it for it is overkill and not needed but it is just the one . Much to my surprise though using the same SD card as for the 4 gb and the standard Pi PSU when i inserted the 8 gb unit the sound quality of all my systems was very noticable . Much more natural vocals , deeper and more textured bass , and much better imaging . Now I have no idea why this is so but I would be interested if someone else could advise if they get a similar improvement ? I had a 2gb unit which i used as a stop gap waiting for the 8 gb to arrive and it sounded exactly like the 4 gb but just a little slower in response . I can easily change this over and back to the 8 gb unit but it really easy to spot and hear the sound improvement of the larger Ram unit . I have no idea why this should be but needless to say i am delighted . I will be adding a good LPSU to the Pi 8gb soon and if this improves things again then happy days .