IGNORED

Aqua linQ

So far there are or have been very little talk about this one

I am interested in this one and a new review is out now.

https://www.hifi-advice.com/blog/review/digital-reviews/network-player-reviews/aqua-linq/

Vinnie Rossi LIO integrated amp with DAC, Sotm SMS-200 ultra/TX USB ultra, powered by an Uptone LPS-1 Audiostore Roonserver powered by a  HD plex PS. ASUS router AC 68 powered by a Teddy pardo PS, 

Speakers are standmounts Klångedang T1 with external crossover , Rega Planar 3 Lejonklou Slipsik phonostage

I have ordered one with the Roon module only in black. Will be a direct replacement to an Antipodes EX that I have now. Server is Innuos zen Mini mk3. 

The linq has its advantages in that is modular. When new tech comes its easy to upgrade. It will not have USB out but in my opinion thats no disadvantage. The Antipodes EX benefits greatly of a USB regenerator/reclocker inserted before the DAC. And we see how much a Innuos Phoenix seems to improve any USB. Will report ones it has arrived.

Vinnie Rossi LIO integrated amp with DAC, Sotm SMS-200 ultra/TX USB ultra, powered by an Uptone LPS-1 Audiostore Roonserver powered by a  HD plex PS. ASUS router AC 68 powered by a Teddy pardo PS, 

Speakers are standmounts Klångedang T1 with external crossover , Rega Planar 3 Lejonklou Slipsik phonostage

Congrats on your new purchase.

Will look forward to hearing how you get on with it.

I took a look when you posted this on Saturday. Looks interesting. The I2S thing caught my eye but a weird non-HDMI implementation of I2S

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm Audio MU1 server > (Sablon AES) Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Salk Sound Supercharged Songtowers

1 hour ago, BigAlMc said:

Congrats on your new purchase.

Will look forward to hearing how you get on with it.

I took a look when you posted this on Saturday. Looks interesting. The I2S thing caught my eye but a weird non-HDMI implementation of I2S

Hi Alan, thanks for that.

Yes it is an interesting machine/bridge that got great review from Christian Punter too. I took a chance and ordered it unheard from Elite Audio ( we have no Aqua dealer in Sweden at the moment) . It was interesting since they also have Antipodes ex and also my Vinnie Rossi amp in store so they could easliy compare to mine. Unfortunately I only have spdif/BNC on my DAC but that input would be ok I guess for now. The inhouse designed AQ link is I2S and should be the best of course. 

Cheers/Magnus

1 hour ago, magnuska said:

Hi Alan, thanks for that.

Yes it is an interesting machine/bridge that got great review from Christian Punter too. I took a chance and ordered it unheard from Elite Audio ( we have no Aqua dealer in Sweden at the moment) . It was interesting since they also have Antipodes ex and also my Vinnie Rossi amp in store so they could easliy compare to mine. Unfortunately I only have spdif/BNC on my DAC but that input would be ok I guess for now. The inhouse designed AQ link is I2S and should be the best of course. 

Cheers/Magnus

Is that Elite Audio in Scotland?

If so then they are great. Really helpful and really willing to go the extra mile for their customers.

And yeah, auditions are great but sometimes you just need to roll the dice and order something unheard. Fingers crossed this one works out well and has your toes tapping.

Cheers,

Alan

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm Audio MU1 server > (Sablon AES) Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Salk Sound Supercharged Songtowers

41 minutes ago, BigAlMc said:

Is that Elite Audio in Scotland?

41 minutes ago, BigAlMc said:

Indeed it is. 🙂

2 minutes ago, magnuska said:

Indeed it is🙂

• 1 month later...

My new LinQ arrived yesterday. 

It sounds very promising indeed🙂

/Magnus

Looking forward to listening impressions once you get past the dreaded burn-in.

Cheers,

Alan

I have had one for two months. 
Awesome. Christian’s review is spot on. Order an Ethercon cable from Ghent. A must in my view. 

AQLinq Is by far the best connection. If you have a Formula.

A module will soon be available to support HQPlayer. Can’t wait...

The one question I hope to be able to answer is this: Should I replace my Mac mini? Will it make a difference?

Mac Mini Late 2014 (16G/SSD) w Uptone JS-2 w OWC Thunderbay 4 Mini RAID (JS-2) / Roon

Aqua LinQ w EtherCon cable (Ghent) w Uptone EtherRegen w Uptone JS-2

Aqua Formula xHD w Ocellia RCA Interconnect & Shunyata Delta NR

Kora TB 200 Integrated Amplifier w Audio Art Power Cable

Magico V2 w Ocellia speaker cables w Shunyata Dark Field Elevator & JL Audio E-Sub e110 X 2

All equipment, including subwoofer on Modulum platforms (modulumaudio.com)

11 hours ago, BigAlMc said:

Looking forward to listening impressions once you get past the dreaded burn-in.

Cheers,

Alan

Hi Alan,

Yes I will try to write something later on. Prior to initial startup my system was shut down for a couple of weeks so it was a bit catching up . But after 24hrs it is a bit better still. But the "dreaded" burn-in is inevitable.

8 hours ago, jacques_racine said:

Awesome. Christian’s review is spot on. Order an Ethercon cable from Ghent. A must in my view. 

The one question I hope to be able to answer is this: Should I replace my Mac mini? Will it make a difference?

Hello!

I only have BNC/spdif so I am ok with this even though I understand AQ Linq is superior. 

Will a better server make a difference thats a good question. Or what about other gizmos like etherregen as well. I asked Christian that question and based on their findings boths by ear and in the lab these have no positive effect because the linQ already has a inbuilt switch card. For me the server part has always been important. After changing my Audiostore prestige server for an Innuos zen mini that change was an upgrade SQ wise. But with linQ its harder to tell . My gut feeling is that it will affect..

22 minutes ago, magnuska said:

After changing my Audiostore prestige server for an Innuos zen mini that change was an upgrade SQ wise.

BTW, do you use your Zen Mini with a dedicated power supply?

Thanks

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

26 minutes ago, matthias said:

BTW, do you use your Zen Mini with a dedicated power supply?

Thanks

Matt

Yes with a Sean Jacobs DC-3

I do use an EtherRegen. Would not live without it.

Mac Mini Late 2014 (16G/SSD) w Uptone JS-2 w OWC Thunderbay 4 Mini RAID (JS-2) / Roon

Magico V2 w Ocellia speaker cables w Shunyata Dark Field Elevator & JL Audio E-Sub e110 X 2

IME with my LinQ I2S is better than BNC but not significantly, it's marginal and likely not much depending on the resolution capabilities of the system.

4x20A circuits | Shunyata Triton + Typhon | Source 1: HDPlex HD100 PSU -> OCX clock + EtherRegen -> Paul Hynes SR4T + HDPlex HD500 PSUs -> Music PC w/JCAT XE nic, HQPlayer, Roon, Tidal / Qobuz |  TotalDAC D1 Twelve DAC + Mk II Streamer | Source 2: Acoustic Signature Ascona with Kuzma 4 Point tonearm | Koetsu Rosewood Signature cart | Pass XP-15 phono pre | Audionet Pre G2 preamp | Audionet Max mono blocks | Vivid Audio Giya Spirits |  4 JL Audio Fathom subs | Echole ICs /SCs / Siltech King jumpers, Shunyata/Audioquest PCs / Eth. Cs | Critical Mass CS2s -> components, Isoacoustics -> speakers + subs | Adona Eris II rack w/ Herbie's titanium footers | Fully treated and dedicated 2 channel room

Are you using an Ethernet cable or an EtherCon? (See Hi-Fi Advice review. )

Ethercon is a connector type used primarily in Pro audio. Ethernet cables and Ethercon - connector cables are wired the same. After experimenting with a few few very short CAT 8 cables and an Audioquest Cinnamon I liked the AQ best so far. However differences are fairly minimal IME. I may go to an AQ Vodka since I seem to like the AQ flavor, if you will.

4x20A circuits | Shunyata Triton + Typhon | Source 1: HDPlex HD100 PSU -> OCX clock + EtherRegen -> Paul Hynes SR4T + HDPlex HD500 PSUs -> Music PC w/JCAT XE nic, HQPlayer, Roon, Tidal / Qobuz |  TotalDAC D1 Twelve DAC + Mk II Streamer | Source 2: Acoustic Signature Ascona with Kuzma 4 Point tonearm | Koetsu Rosewood Signature cart | Pass XP-15 phono pre | Audionet Pre G2 preamp | Audionet Max mono blocks | Vivid Audio Giya Spirits |  4 JL Audio Fathom subs | Echole ICs /SCs / Siltech King jumpers, Shunyata/Audioquest PCs / Eth. Cs | Critical Mass CS2s -> components, Isoacoustics -> speakers + subs | Adona Eris II rack w/ Herbie's titanium footers | Fully treated and dedicated 2 channel room

FYI

Aqua sells their own EtherCon cable.

I got mine from Ghent. 
Also tried a Sablon Riserva. 
Preferred a plain Ethernet from Ghent. Sold it. 

Thanks for the info. I asked about buying Aqua's EtherCon cable and the Aqua dealer told me it wasn't yet available. Can I ask - which Ghent audio ethernet cable you bought?

On 8/14/2020 at 5:49 PM, jacques_racine said:

I do use an EtherRegen. Would not live without it.

Have that too AND an optical module. It will stay in my system for now. 

I originally used a Cat 6 ET11 Belden from ghent. Great service and quality, always.

Then after I read Christian's review and learned about the possibility of using an etherCon cable I contacted Aqua.

There were not ready to sell their own cable. Then I had Ghent build one. Here are the specs provided by Aqua.

Hope that helps. I did a very quick comparison, and the brand new EtherCon seemed to sound better than the CAT6. It stayed there.

Foot tapping since.

Here is the pinout for the EtherCon cable.

It did not show in my previous post.

Aqua_EtherCon_Pinout.jpg

On 8/13/2020 at 6:15 PM, jacques_racine said:

I can confirm the HQPlayer module will be available in September.

• 2 weeks later...