IGNORED

HXMelody HX500 digital transport

4 hours ago, pm325 said:

Nice review, Dennis!

Please specify the hdmi cable used for the LVDS connection and which mode is on the Terminator DAC (NOS with x2 filter, isn't it?).

Thanks German.

I now use a rather cheap (€ 27) 60cm AudioQuest Pearl hdmi cable. I do not want to start a new nervosa immediately. Another not so expensive one is on its way from China. Only when I hear important differences between several cables I might spend more. When I know my 'final' setup I may order an even shorter custom made one from https://aerialpixels.com/ as you recommended.

These are the Terminator I2S LVDS pin-out settings:

image.thumb.png.a74b79856d7c0cb1f91e1738e069ff00.png 

The SDTrans384 has the PS Audio '100' configuration.

I asked the seller (Shenzhen Audio) for the HX500 config and the sent me this:

image.thumb.png.33383701161ddc2a7be2540656a1c3ef.png

To me this seems like the '111' setting, but when I set the Terminator to that I get strange noises. However, with '100' the HX500 plays well, and that is good news as I do not have to change anything on the Terminator when switching between the SDTrans and the HX500.

In the output settings on the HX500 there is an 'I2S reverse' option (enabled or disabled) and when I translate the big yellow block above with Google Translate camera it says:

image.thumb.png.e874537df82a59853d724b19002ecc70.png

So -- although I notice no difference in the sound -- I enabled the I2S reverse option.

Actually I play with the Terminator in OS (not NOS) mode as this sounds better for PCM. For DSD there is no difference as the Terminator then automatically switches to NOS mode, even when the NOS light is off.

audio system

48 minutes ago, bodiebill said:

Thanks German.

I now use a rather cheap (€ 27) 60cm AudioQuest Pearl hdmi cable. I do not want to start a new nervosa immediately. Another not so expensive one is on its way from China. Only when I hear important differences between several cables I might spend more. When I know my 'final' setup I may order an even shorter custom made one from https://aerialpixels.com/ as you recommended.

These are the Terminator I2S LVDS pin-out settings:

image.thumb.png.a74b79856d7c0cb1f91e1738e069ff00.png 

The SDTrans384 has the PS Audio '100' configuration.

I asked the seller (Shenzhen Audio) for the HX500 config and the sent me this:

image.thumb.png.33383701161ddc2a7be2540656a1c3ef.png

To me this seems like the '111' setting, but when I set the Terminator to that I get strange noises. However, with '100' the HX500 plays well, and that is good news as I do not have to change anything on the Terminator when switching between the SDTrans and the HX500.

In the output settings on the HX500 there is an 'I2S reverse' option (enabled or disabled) and when I translate the big yellow block above with Google Translate camera it says:

image.thumb.png.e874537df82a59853d724b19002ecc70.png

So -- although I notice no difference in the sound -- I enabled the I2S reverse option.

Actually I play with the Terminator in OS (not NOS) mode as this sounds better for PCM. For DSD there is no difference as the Terminator then automatically switches to NOS mode, even when the NOS light is off.

There are two options for signal polarity inversion - "I2S reverse" at HX500 and corresponding mode button at Terminator DAC. You can use both, because they have identical functionality.

In case of SDtrans384 LVDS output can be configured as "pcm/dsd mode" or "dsd only mode" (please, see manual). The first one has reversed left/right channels for dsd output.

I suppose, that OS mode preferred for RedBook content.

5 minutes ago, pm325 said:

There are two options for signal polarity inversion - "I2S reverse" at HX500 and corresponding mode button at Terminator DAC. You can use both, because they have identical functionality.

That is also how I understand it. So using polarity inversion on the HX500 seems the best option as then I do not have to change anything on the Terminator when switching between SDTrans and HX500. 

In case of SDtrans384 LVDS output can be configured as "pcm/dsd mode" or "dsd only mode" (please, see manual). The first one has reversed left/right channels for dsd output.

Thanks, I hope to receive the SDTrans in a week or so.

I suppose, that OS mode preferred for RedBook content.

Yes, but I think also for higher resolutions. I believe the Terminator upsamples to 1536 kHz.

audio system

• 2 months later...
On 7/4/2020 at 4:00 AM, bodiebill said:

However, a networked setup with DLNA, using UPPlay and Minimserver from a Windows PC, sounds very good already, actually considerably better than my previous fully tweaked dual box setup. And that without using any LPS or network upgrades. This networked setup even sounds slightly better than my previous favorite: networkless single endpoint with wtfplay. I guess it must be the I2S topology that does that, or — implied — the shortcomings of usb.

very well documented and triggered the interest to buy one
Which android player needed with HX500 connected via Ethernet to a NAS with minimserver?

I just ordered one and I wish to confine to the minimalistic SD card way but I have large music on my NAS.

On 7/4/2020 at 1:42 PM, bodiebill said:

Thanks German.

Hi 

could you help in choosing the best options flat/ribbon and connector at either  end Male/female to the HDMI cable in the mentioned site. 

sorry I s as m new to this I2S & HDMI ball game. 
thanks

1 hour ago, Symphony said:

very well documented and triggered the interest to buy one
Which android player needed with HX500 connected via Ethernet to a NAS with minimserver?

I just ordered one and I wish to confine to the minimalistic SD card way but I have large music on my NAS.

Any android player will do. When set to DLNA the HX500 should be recognized by it.

There is also a HX500 specific app for remote control. As it is in Chinese out of the box I used the Google Translate camera to find out where to find the language button, and then switched to English.

To my ears SD card sounds best, but it is nice that the HX500 offers so many possibilities.

audio system

1 hour ago, Symphony said:

Hi 

could you help in choosing the best options flat/ribbon and connector at either  end Male/female to the HDMI cable in the mentioned site. 

sorry I s as m new to this I2S & HDMI ball game. 
thanks

I love this cable:

https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/4000730036117.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.4b8a4c4dD2MUbe

You can choose your length (the shorter the better for SQ they say although I heard no difference between 20 and 30 cm versions) and terminations (right angle -- mind the orientation! -- or straight).

audio system

• 3 months later...

Indeed, It’s really a Eureka product. Now, it’s close to hundred hours and sounding excellent .

I found SD card & 12S out put is the best and intend to use it as a stand alone SD card player only.

it also sounds good with NAS Ethernet input .

Users who are interested to use TIDAL can do it through MconnectLite or HD app . 

I did it successfully through my IPad but over longer duration it’s hanging and compel us to restart the unit again ( only drawback when used with third party app )

its performance is brilliant on SD card I2S combination and it’s performance on this combination is on par with my other streamer Lumin U1

• 3 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, thisisvv said:

I dont see in pics where to insert sd card. Where you put sd card and also what max capacity you can add too.

SD card slot on right side . I have used 16GB,64GB & 128 GB.

it sounds best using SD card through I2S out put. I am using it as standalone SD card player 

On 1/1/2021 at 12:12 PM, thisisvv said:

SO basically only one SD card input. I think max sd card is 2TB.

Yes

I prefer max 64 GB ... treat it as alternative to a CD player as it’s Redbook format performance is on par with best CD players I have used.

what I did is to keep exclusive SD cards for Redbook , DSD formats.

I have experienced distorted music playing when Redbook played after DSD.  I restart HX500 when I change formats.

HXMelody support is non responsive to this issue however I am not expecting any solution as it is a non issue to me.

I am bowled over by its sound for the money spent

• 2 weeks later...