I currently have my music files (FLAC) saved on an older Synology NAS. When I play my music files,  I use the Heos app on my iPad and play the files through my Marantz PM7000N amp. Unless I am playing records, most music I stream plays from Amazon Music But I do have a number of FLAC files not available on  Amazon.

I also have a MAC desktop computer in my office which doesn’t get used a lot. I was wondering whether to put the music files on the MAC and use it as a DNLA server instead of the Synology. Presumably I could set it so that the screen switches off after a few minutes and the computer wakes on LAN or switches to a sleep mode after a people of not streaming.

Are there any benefits in changing to the MAC instead of the Synology and also what software should I put on the MAC? I’ve seen JRiver and Twonky mentioned.

Any help greatly appreciated 

I think MinimServer is the best upnp server thanks to its “intelligent browsing” feature.

You can browse your library without predefined paths, just select one/any tag then drill down and all the other tags will be available for further drill down.

... and you should find it in the Synology apps repository then easy to install.

Stefano

My audio system

13 hours ago, stefano_mbp said:

I think MinimServer is the best upnp server thanks to its “intelligent browsing” feature.

You can browse your library without predefined paths, just select one/any tag then drill down and all the other tags will be available for further drill down.

... and you should find it in the Synology apps repository then easy to install.

Depends on what you use for software...  the generic Synology media server is all you need for Roon or Stylus.

I'd stick with NAS, the OS and hardware are purpose built for 24x7 file server. Use the Mac as a USB endpoint device connected to a DAC, thats its claim to fame and

keep using the iPad as a controller.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

11 hours ago, davide256 said:

Depends on what you use for software...  the generic Synology media server is all you need for Roon or Stylus.

You also appear to be confusing Synology's media server with its network shared drives - neither Roon nor Euphony Stylus can use UPnP/DLNA media servers (but of course they can add audio file paths on the NAS into their respective music libraries via network shares).

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

5 hours ago, Cebolla said:

You also appear to be confusing Synology's media server with its network shared drives - neither Roon nor Euphony Stylus can use UPnP/DLNA media servers (but of course they can add audio file paths on the NAS into their respective music libraries via network shares).

Ah, correct. I always thought SMB sounded better than UPNP with my Oppo 103, nice to realize that Roon and Stylus went same direction. Just disabled

the default media server as an unneeded running app.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

1 hour ago, davide256 said:

Ah, correct. I always thought SMB sounded better than UPNP with my Oppo 103, nice to realize that Roon and Stylus went same direction.

Ironically, even though the Stylus Player cannot be used as a UPnP/DLNA streamer, the Stylus Server can be used as a private UPnP/DLNA media server as it has a built-in UPnP/DLNA control point that identifies any UPnP/DLNA streamers on the network allowing Stylus Server's music library to be played by them using UPnP streaming.

So, Euphony Stylus on the Mac could be used with the OP's Marantz PM7000N for UPnP streaming over the network.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox