IGNORED

iPhone 12 WTF?

Ok, I get it.  Who needs more plastic?  Consumer Reports speculates that humans consume a credit card worth of plastic over a few months.  If climate change does not kill off most wild life, we are sure to see plastic waste finish the job - we know the he oceans are full of the stuff.  We don't need cheap ear buds.  We don't need another wall charger.  I, personally, have a foot locker (US Army, thank you) clearly labeled "All the Worlds Cable" containing least 1 mile of obsolete wires, cable etc...... I get it.

Now comes the iPhone 12 maybe with no ports at all.  Ok, fine.  One thing captive technical media (shills), with their daily Apple "LEAKS"  (what BS!  (( Oh look how STUNNING the new phone looks, why its Blue!!  and look, it has square edges!  Oh my God. ))  Wake up fan boys, It is a rectangle.  You can make the rectangle bigger, smaller, thinner, you can paint new colors, but it is a damn rectangle. 

So to my point.  Are you going to have to carry a wireless charger with you when you go on a road trip?  Can you charge your phone in the car?  I think some higher end cars have a charging plate built into the car.   Seems to me that a car is an expensive option for a phone or a camera with a phone built in......

Nombe 

In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake ~ Sayre's Law

So are you saying you do or not feel a $600 accessory charger mount for your Apple Wynd Plus Smart Air Purifier + $500 travel charger is in the cards for you? 

I hear their stores are already out of mandatory appointment slots so over and above is the word of mouth from those who've experienced a touch free experience unparalleled on this earth or mere android retailers.  

Electroboom measured the efficiency of wireless charging compared to a cable and found the wireless charger consumed 38% more power. It's not really that of a problem on its own, but collectively of millions of chargers like this, the waste should be better contained.

Anyway I thought Apple abandoned the idea of the wireless charger, due to their inability to produce a creation without any connectors.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

My understanding was more that they canceled it because they couldn't get it to consistently charge a phone, watch, and AirPods all at the same time. Rumor is that they are still working on it, though. If Steve were still around, there would have been daily beatings of the engineering team until they got it to work.

The latest rumors that I have heard are that the iPhone 12 will still have a Lightning connector. There is some speculation that future models will not be truly portless, but rather will have a "smart connector" similar to the connection between an iPad and its keyboard. Whether such a connector would be able to carry power or have a data transfer rate comparable to Lighting or USB-C I do not know.

ipad-pro-smart-keyboard-connection-callo

Thanks all! It's threads like these that reaffirm my decision to stick with my corded landline phone which uses no electricity. I am in a small minority of those who live without a cellphone. 

I'm also sticking to corded headphones and corded speakers.

I have dementia. I save all my posts in a text file I call Forums.  I do a search in that file to find out what I said or did in the past.

I still love music.

Teresa

1 hour ago, Teresa said:

Thanks all! It's threads like these that reaffirm my decision to stick with my corded landline phone which uses no electricity. I am in a small minority of those who live without a cellphone. 

I assume your (computer) network, tv boxes (if any) and any remotes you may have for tvs and/or other entertainment units are also corded? :)

mQa is dead!

A benefit of removing ports is that the device becomes more water resistant.  Apple can determine if an iPhone brought in for repair has suffered water damage.  As such they know how often this kind of damage occurs - and that's what lead them to remove the headphone port, for example.  Water damage can often lead to a phone needing to be replaced, which is a costly amount to cover if one does't have Apple Care.  

The Apple Watch ships with a small wireless charger that's smaller than the SMPS that powers it.  If Apple does away with the Lightning port, likely they include something like this in the box.  

I'm sure it's a lot of fun to mock Apple's design choices, but Apple's batting average is pretty good in that area.  

My hope is that a port is retained on the "Pro" models (and it becomes USB-C instead).  Apple might be smart though to seal up the cheaper products - like the SE - as folks who purchase these models are less likely to be in a position to spend the cash to replace a damaged iPhone.  One time when I was at an Apple store waiting for a genius, I sat next to a person who had just learned that they'd have to replace their iPhone.  It was obvious this individual was distraught over having to shell out that kind of cash.  Tough news to have to deliver to a customer.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

2 hours ago, Teresa said:

It's threads like these that reaffirm my decision to stick with my corded landline phone which uses no electricity.

Your corded phone uses electricity. The phone company sends the power directly to your house through a dedicated pair of wires that connect to your phone jack.

16 minutes ago, NOMBEDES said:

Well this is good to know.  If I drive my car in to a lake while attempting to charge a portless phone at least the phone will work.

It's not even certain they will do this.  You also have the option not to buy it if they do.   

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

1 hour ago, rando said:

@Teresa Shame on @lucretius for making fun of you.  He appears to have forgotten what a treasure you are to the AS community. 

I'll suggest to the suitable authority handing him down a punishment of one or two gentle lashes with a cryogenically treated cable followed by a brief reeducation period listening to a physical disc.  :)

Actually, I admire @Teresa or anyone who can keep things simple. Nonetheless, I will accept my punishment and maybe even look forward to it!. :)

mQa is dead!

58 minutes ago, kennyb123 said:

It's not even certain they will do this.  You also have the option not to buy it if they do.   

Android is the COVID 19 of mobile operating systems. I shall now retire to my studio and come up with a song to the tune of the great Richard Thompson’s. “Vincent Black Lightening”  disparaging all things Android.  

In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake ~ Sayre's Law

5 hours ago, Teresa said:

Your corded phone receives power via the phone line. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

3 hours ago, daverich4 said:

Your corded phone uses electricity. The phone company sends the power directly to your house through a dedicated pair of wires that connect to your phone jack.

1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Academically, absolutely correct. More useful perhaps would be the response that the power through those dedicated wires often still runs when there's a "power outage" affecting electrical appliances in the home. I experienced this many times back when I had a land line.

These days I have a mobile phone and a high capacity external battery-powered charger that should be enough to get me through 2-3 days or more of power outage even if I stayed home and didn't charge the phone in a car, restaurant, etc. And we've never had (knock wood) a power outage of that length since I've been living in my present home. Eventually I want to get a whole home battery that our solar panels can charge so I don't have to worry about power outages. (We're on a shared well - the well association will soon be contracting for a generator setup so we'll have water if power to the well goes out.)

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

4 minutes ago, Jud said:

Academically, absolutely correct. More useful perhaps would be the response that the power through those dedicated wires often still runs when there's a "power outage" affecting electrical appliances in the home. I experienced this many times back when I had a land line.

These days I have a mobile phone and a high capacity external battery-powered charger that should be enough to get me through 2-3 days or more of power outage even if I stayed home and didn't charge the phone in a car, restaurant, etc. And we've never had (knock wood) a power outage of that length since I've been living in my present home. Eventually I want to get a whole home battery that our solar panels can charge so I don't have to worry about power outages. (We're on a shared well - the well association will soon be contracting for a generator setup so we'll have water if power to the well goes out.)

I have long wanted a completely energy independent home with battery storage for a significant amount of time, powered by both solar and wind, and perhaps a propane/natural gas system for cooking and heating, and a wood burning fireplace for aesthetics and backup incase everything else fails in the middle of January. Sadly, it's hard to put up a wind generator in the city, and I don't want to tear down trees to put up solar panels either.

No electron left behind.

9 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

I have long wanted a completely energy independent home with battery storage for a significant amount of time, powered by both solar and wind, and perhaps a propane/natural gas system for cooking and heating, and a wood burning fireplace for aesthetics and backup incase everything else fails in the middle of January. Sadly, it's hard to put up a wind generator in the city, and I don't want to tear down trees to put up solar panels either.

Yes, this is all a lot easier in the desert Southwest. :) 

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Get realme (a relatively new oppo brand), been using one for 6 months now after for the first time in my life I lost my previous phone (sank in the local Rhine canal) and IMO it's just fantastic value. 

Why would one want this i-thing after all.? 9_9

BTW I only recently realized many photos I'd actually like to have are on the SD card of the phone I lost hence a serious question - is their any chance (I personally doubt it) of getting them back after 6 months long bath.? 

As promised with apologies to Richard Thompson.

Said Red Molly to James
That’s a fine iPhone
A girl would be proud
To hear such a tone

Said James to Molly
My hats off to you ‘tis an iPhone one two 

Now Galaxies and Pixels won’t do
They don’t have a soul like a iPhone one two

Now I tell you in earnest it’s a dangerous phone
No way to charge it as your driving alone.

7 hours ago, daverich4 said:

5 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Thanks guys! I had no idea since my corded landline phone still works when the electricity goes out. OTOH my digital answering machine does have an electric cord that plugs into the wall. I learned something new.

Happy Independence Day. 😊

I have dementia. I save all my posts in a text file I call Forums.  I do a search in that file to find out what I said or did in the past.

I still love music.

Teresa