IGNORED

DENAFRIPS TERMINATOR GOES PLUS

1 hour ago, richard_crl032 said:

Hi Dev,

Do not think it matters if balanced or SE wired but I had err on my audible illusion L3A being negative phase when it is actually negative polarity .. with apology.

Cheers.

Richard

Richard, what is the difference between -ive phase vs -ive polarity in a preamp ?

1 hour ago, Dev said:

Richard, what is the difference between -ive phase vs -ive polarity in a preamp ?

Hi Dev,

Believe member accwai got it right here:

Actually there are two types of polarity: relative and absolute. Correct relative polarity means all channels in the system have the same polarity relative to each other. Correct absolute polarity means the polarity of the sound wave coming out of the speakers is the same as when things are recording, as oppose to compression from the speaker while the original mic actually sensed rarefication.

Relative polarity is easy to check--play anything through a system with incorrect relative polarity will result in a strange hollow sound. If you insist on using a test signal, then pull up the generator panel in REW and setup a low frequency pure sine wave, say 250Hz. Flip the speaker wires on one side and you immediately hear the difference.

As for absolute polarity, there is nothing to check. Some do not believe that absolute polarity effect is audible. If so, you're done. For those that do, the whole chain up to the original mic must be taken into account. And since the front end is not controllable, you must have an absolute polarity switch somewhere in your system to handle the case of incorrect polarity in the recording chain. Then you set it by ear on the fly, on a per album or peraps per track basis.

This is nothing to do with balanced or single ended setup for noise cancellation if it helps at higher $ of course with added circuitry while it is not uncommon that some equipment has balanced connection for convenience only but inherently not a balanced circuitry.

Google more on this absolutely polarity led to some unvalidated comments that 50-90% of recording are out of absolute phase but my take is that they do this because the sound engineers feel it sounds better and since we are listening to their recordings, I would err on the side of doing the same and leave it on positive absolute phase button of my Denafrips now and only select negative absolute phase if I find it not sounding good.  But no idea why Denafrips have it default to negative absolute phase ... if Denafrips button is indeed on absolute phase and not just relative phase aka polarity  😅

Cheers,

Richard

Revel Salon 2 speakers, Sander Magtech amp, Audible Illusion L3B (Blackgate) preamp, Denafrips Terminator Plus dac, Denafrips Hermes ddc, Antipodes CX/EX/P1/P2 server/player (Oladra upgraded), Denafrips Avatar cdp, Bel Canto fm1 tuner, Airties Wireless Mesh, ifi Blue Zen BT receiver, 2X Uptone EtherRegen + AfterDark Emperor Double Crown 10M clock, Zerozone 5/7.5/12v LPS, Uptone LPS 1.2, 2x diy 2kVA Isotransformers, dedicated 20/30A lines for separate digital/analog, Nordost Quattro Fil interconnects, Acoustic Revive TripleC Ethernet/i2S cables, Shunyata Sigma usb cable with ifi Idefender 3.0, Aurealis/Apogee/Canare BNC clock cables, Cardas Clear speaker cable and jumpers, Zonotone Shupreme/5050 powercords, Garrard 301 on slate plinth/sme 3012R/Ortofon Classic Royal GM mk2/diy 301 motor PSU/graham IC90/kimber tak ag etc./Headamp Gilmore Lite Mk2+Golden Reference PSU/Grado FreeSystem fg-1 headphones

"As for absolute polarity, there is nothing to check. Some do not believe that absolute polarity effect is audible. If so, you're done. For those that do, the whole chain up to the original mic must be taken into account. And since the front end is not controllable, you must have an absolute polarity switch somewhere in your system to handle the case of incorrect polarity in the recording chain. Then you set it by ear on the fly, on a per album or peraps per track basis."

This makes total sense now....thanks so much for providing this Richard.  

I really can't notice much of a difference (at least on the recordings I tested with) at all, so I am just going to leave it on positive phase.  I still do not understand why this is set to negative as default, as that would go against every other manufacturer that does not give the end user an option to set absolute phase. I am guessing that they don't think there is much if any difference.  

Maybe Alvin can answer why they ship the TPlus with negative phase as default setting.

-Scott

McIntosh MC601s - C50 | Harbeth M40.3 XD | Holo May KTE  | SOtM sMS-200 Neo - sPS-500 | PS Audio P20 PowerPlant | SVS SB13-Ultra subs

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Got weak and received the Antipodes CX to pair with the Antipodes EX .. my system never sounded better. It like getting superior sounding nite session during the day time and nite session is that you can follow every intonation and beat however fast the music is.

Could not resist and tried again connecting the Antipodes stack to the denafrips ddc but compared to direct usb to the TP, it sounds compressed and slowed down with loss of details ...

Same conclusion then that if your usb source is beyond something like allo usb bridge signature, going via denafrips ddc to take advantage of single synced better ocxo clock in the TP and even preferred i2s route, you may not hear improvement but deterioration.

It also tell me thst TP's usb input is excellent and does not hold back your usb source.

Cheers.

Richard

Screenshot_20201005-034634_Drive.jpg

Screenshot_20201005-034642_Drive.jpg

Revel Salon 2 speakers, Sander Magtech amp, Audible Illusion L3B (Blackgate) preamp, Denafrips Terminator Plus dac, Denafrips Hermes ddc, Antipodes CX/EX/P1/P2 server/player (Oladra upgraded), Denafrips Avatar cdp, Bel Canto fm1 tuner, Airties Wireless Mesh, ifi Blue Zen BT receiver, 2X Uptone EtherRegen + AfterDark Emperor Double Crown 10M clock, Zerozone 5/7.5/12v LPS, Uptone LPS 1.2, 2x diy 2kVA Isotransformers, dedicated 20/30A lines for separate digital/analog, Nordost Quattro Fil interconnects, Acoustic Revive TripleC Ethernet/i2S cables, Shunyata Sigma usb cable with ifi Idefender 3.0, Aurealis/Apogee/Canare BNC clock cables, Cardas Clear speaker cable and jumpers, Zonotone Shupreme/5050 powercords, Garrard 301 on slate plinth/sme 3012R/Ortofon Classic Royal GM mk2/diy 301 motor PSU/graham IC90/kimber tak ag etc./Headamp Gilmore Lite Mk2+Golden Reference PSU/Grado FreeSystem fg-1 headphones

On 10/4/2020 at 9:52 PM, richard_crl032 said:

Hi All,

Got weak and received the Antipodes CX to pair with the Antipodes EX .. my system never sounded better. It like getting superior sounding nite session during the day time and nite session is that you can follow every intonation and beat however fast the music is.

Could not resist and tried again connecting the Antipodes stack to the denafrips ddc but compared to direct usb to the TP, it sounds compressed and slowed down with loss of details ...

Same conclusion then that if your usb source is beyond something like allo usb bridge signature, going via denafrips ddc to take advantage of single synced better ocxo clock in the TP and even preferred i2s route, you may not hear improvement but deterioration.

It also tell me thst TP's usb input is excellent and does not hold back your usb source.

Cheers.

Richard

Screenshot_20201005-034634_Drive.jpg

Screenshot_20201005-034642_Drive.jpg

Hi, you say Denafrips ddc but which one? In your pictures I see an Hermes (who is not yet in the market). What about the Gaia? Did you try the Gaia?

Thanks, 

Roberto

27 minutes ago, roberto2 said:

Hi, you say Denafrips ddc but which one? In your pictures I see an Hermes (who is not yet in the market). What about the Gaia? Did you try the Gaia?

Thanks, 

Roberto

Hi Roberto,

You must have seen my earlier posting with the demo GAIA but reverted to the Hermes to save some $ especially since daisy chained reclocking with the Avatar to the higher quality oxco clock of already Terminator Plus.

I am only using the ddc for my Bel Canto fm tuner to reclock and convert to i2s that sounded better* .. main listening of the Antipodes EX and CX sounds worse via the dcc then direct usb to the Terminator plus.

Sorry for the confusion and cheers.

Richard

*I had since then added uptone lps1.2 after the zerozone lps for another step up in sound quality

1 minute ago, richard_crl032 said:

Double posted

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

And the journey continues .... T+ DE version 😅

20210707_210637.png