I have a Pioneer drive with Pure Read 3+

Sorry to just jump in here, but my question would probably help the OP . I was also considering a drive for accurate rips. i noticed that pioneer advertises it uses a technology called "pure read 2". Anyone have any knowledge as to if these are worth the money or a make more accurate rip than other drives? Link to view the drive details-

Pioneer Black 16X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R 5X DVD-RAM 12X BD-ROM SATA Blu-ray Burner BDR-2209 - Newegg.com  (Comment from this thread:)

That comment is from 2015. I bought a more recent Pioneer drive with Pure Read 3+. that cost more than $150. 

But reading some other comments it seems that you can just buy a cheap CD reader and the software like EAC will do all the job?

Questions that I had:

Do you have to use a special software to take advantage of Pure Read function?
Does Pure Read interfere with software like EAC that does its own approach to ripping? (multi-reading?)

On 7/1/2020 at 3:45 PM, pionphil said:

That comment is from 2015. I bought a more recent Pioneer drive with Pure Read 3+. that cost more than $150. 

But reading some other comments it seems that you can just buy a cheap CD reader and the software like EAC will do all the job?

Questions that I had:

Does Pure Read interfere with software like EAC that does its own approach to ripping? (multi-reading?)

I have used XLD on mac, both with an internal and external CD drives. This works great.

mini+Roon > dCS Rossini DAC + Rossini Master Clock >

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo G2

system pics

• 2 weeks later...

Did you find answer?

I looked into this topic and found those documents

https://jpn.pioneer/ja/pcperipherals/dvdrrw/story/index_17.html
https://jpn.pioneer/ja/pcperipherals/dvdrrw/story/index_27.php

• Pure Read: On CD ripping, when read error happens, change one read parameter from the parameter candidate (rotation speed, pickup parameters etc) and retry read. Drive forget Pure Read settings on power cycle: Need to run Drive Utility app every time drive power is plugged.
  • Pure Read+: Drive remembers Pure Read settings. Now not necessary to run Drive Utility on every drive power cycle. + of subsequent versions have the same meaning.
  • Pure Read 2+: Added new read parameter to some specific disc conditions.
  • Pure Read 3+: Introduces Pure Read on realtime CD playback , Real Time Pure Read.
  • Pure Read 4+: When read error happens, change 2 or more parameters and retry.

Pure Read settings:

• Standard Mode: On CD ripping, when C2 error happens, interpolate sample gap and read continues.
  • Master Mode: On CD ripping, When read error happens, change read parameter and retry (Pure Read). if several retry failed, interpolate sample gap and read continues.
  • Perfect Mode: Same as “Master Mode” but when several retry failed, reports read error to OS and stop ripping.
  • Real Time Pure Read: When app plays CD on realtime, drive detect it and enable realtime flavor of Pure Read (retry read and when deadline missed, interpolate the gap).

On 7/2/2020 at 4:45 AM, pionphil said:

Yes, It is necessary to run Drive Utility once to configure the drive settings to Master Mode or Perfect Mode to enable Pure Read.

On 7/2/2020 at 4:45 AM, pionphil said:

I'm not sure about it

Sunday programmer since 1985

Developer of PlayPcmWin

• 1 month later...

yamamoto2002,

I lost the CD that came with the Pioneer drive. The CD included the softwares to use to rip CDs. I think I read that the PureRead function only works with the software (Cyberlink Power2Go). 

Is there a way to purchase the CD separately? 

PureRead could be configured with Pioneer BD Drive Utility and here's the direct link to download that

https://pioneer.jp/device/file/PioneerBDR-209-211_DriveUtility_v1.2.0.3.exe

https://pioneer.jp/device_e/product-e/ibs/device_e/dev00001r_e.html#DriveUtility

FYI - here's a preview as shown on the right

https://forum.cdrinfo.pl/f112/pureread-pioneer-dvd-bluray-drive-95977/

uNMIoIE.png

thank you seeteeyou.

I see that the first link is for Windows, and the second link has many download links for Windows as well as a couple for Mac too. 

I was under the impression that PureRead only works on Windows, but it seems like it will work on Mac as well? 

Does PureRead only work with Cyberlink software for Windows that comes with the product, or could it work with XLD on Mac?

Your first link is for Windows and then there are so many different download options for Windows in the second link. So how is your first download link different from the many download options in second link? I understand that the ones in the second link are different depending on different types of product you have. 

21 hours ago, pionphil said:

I was under the impression that PureRead only works on Windows, but it seems like it will work on Mac as well?

It seems there is a product for Mac, such as BDR-XS07JM. I have it and it works on Windows PC as well, with BD Drive Utility v 1.2.0.4

PureRead functionality works on the micro processor on the drive, so it is basically OS / ripping app independent. BD Drive Utility is needed to change / view current settings of the drive firmware.  “+ model” has the non-volatile memory on the drive to remember the setting.

Developer of PlayPcmWin

yamamato2002, 

I was able to change the settings using Drive Utility.

When I put a CD in my Pioneer drive, Cyberlink recognizes it but not EAC. How could I make EAC recognize it?

By the way does PureRead work better with Cyberlink? Or is there an advantage of using Cyberlink to rip CDs compared to EAC, etc.?

I don't use EAC to rip CDs so I don't know.

Ripped 34 cds with perfect mode so far and after ripping I opened BD drive utility and saw the drive error counter is zero. It seems there is no trace of C2 error interpolation seen on ripped data. This is my understanding : basically it works as a normal CD drive and there is no difference unless margarine is spread on the CD surface

Developer of PlayPcmWin