IGNORED

Does Lumin U1 work with Logitech Mediaserver when using the upnp bridge?

Hi,

I try to find out if the Lumin U1 transporter is able to work in usual DLNA / UPNP mode or is only useable with open home compatible apps like Linn Kazoo.

I'd like to use the U1 with my Logitech Mediaserver and the iPeng app. If the U1 can also work in normal UPNP / DLNA mode it should be possible to connect the device via the upnp bridge plugin.

Has anyone tried this before or does anyone have anU1 and can try to connect it to the Logitech Mediaserver for a quick test?

I know there is a deticated Lumin app and Linn Kazoo should be also useable, but because I am blind and I need an app which is useable with my screen reading software I do not have much possebilities. Linn Kazoo is accessible and the Lumin app seems also to be useable, but the best useability in my special situation is still iPeng with the good old Logitech Mediaserver :-(.

It would also be helpfull if anyone could say if the U1 can be used with MConnect or BubleUPnP or any other app, everything is interesting.

BTW.: Roon is not accessible at all, so please no hint for Roon :-(.

Cheers and thanks a lot for any hint,

Schoepp

For tablets / smartphones, Linn Kazoo and Bubble DS Next can control Lumin players.

On the desktop, Linn Kazoo, JRiver (UPnP mode) and the latest Audirvana Plus (UPnP mode) should also work.

Not sure about Logitech Mediaserver / iPeng.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

4 hours ago, wklie said:

JRiver (UPnP mode) and the latest Audirvana Plus (UPnP mode) should also work.

Not sure about Logitech Mediaserver / iPeng.

The UPnP/DLNA Bridge 3rd party Logitech Media Server plugin allows standard UPnP/DLNA streamers to be used as if they were (Logitech/Slim) Squeezebox type network players, so that they can stream audio supplied by both the Logitech Media Server on the local network and Logitech's mysqueezebox.com online (media) server, all under control of a squeezebox controller; iPeng is a Squeezebox player controller app (iOS only).

So, given that Lumin players are not limited to being used as OpenHome streamers and can also be used as standard UPnP/DLNA streamers with standard UPnP/DLNA control points (as contained in JRiver & latest Audirvana), the UPnP/DLNA Bridge 3rd party LMS plugin should also work.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

???

The answer is yes - JRiver & Audirvana software as network player controllers do not support OpenHome, only standard UPnP/DLNA and Peter Lie / wklie (Lumin Firmware Lead) says they should work with the Lumin Players!

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

The Lumin U1 Mini works perfectly fine with mconnect player on iOS. I prefer the Lumin app, but I sometimes use mconnect as a standard UPnP controller for playing TIDAL “My Mix” playlists since mconnect shows those playlists via their API implementation (and the LUMIN app does not yet).

When using standard UPnP (i.e., without the Open Home extensions) the songs played do not stay in the play queue. The currently streaming song from the controller is shown as the last song in the play queue of the LUMIN app.  Edit: and the display of the U1 Mini also correctly shows the currently streaming song as well from mconnect.

50 minutes ago, Gus141 said:

When using standard UPnP (i.e., without the Open Home extensions) the songs played do not stay in the play queue. The currently streaming song from the controller is shown as the last song in the play queue of the LUMIN app.

That's by design.  The play queue you see is an OpenHome playlist.  The behavior you observed is one of the things Lumin does to support both OpenHome and UPnP concurrently without requiring a mode change.

Even though Lumin supports UPnP, I cannot guarantee it'll work with any kind of UPnP bridge.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

Wow, that's unusual to have to resort transcoding to PCM with the UPnP/DLNA Bridge plugin, especially with HTTP mode set to fixed. Did you try getting help from the plugin's developer, philippe_44? He's usually very responsive.

Edit
Just seen your recent conversation with the developer in the UPnP/DLNA Bridge's thread on the Squeezebox community forums. I'm very surprised to read of his low opinion of the Lumin's implementation of the HTTP stack under standard UPnP streaming:

https://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?103728-Announce-UPnPBridge-integrate-UPnP-DLNA-players-with-LMS-(squeeze2upnp)&p=981153&viewfull=1#post981153

So, it seems that the Lumi is one of these players that as a crappy HTTP stack implementation - that infuriates me. They claim to be HTTP 1.1 devices which means you are *required* to support chunked-encoding transfer and of course when I send a HTTP content using this, the player fails and closes the connection - I hate these guys who destroy standards by their lazy and incompetent implementations

Of course Lumin's main focus is OpenHome streaming, which is what is being used with the Lumin app - so could explain why this issue may not have been picked up before.

-- Jo Cox

Yes, I also was not happy to read that the implementation of the http stack of the Lumin devices seems to be not that good :-). But I also think that is related to the OpenHome extension and to the fact, that Lumin is interested in the best integration with their own app first.

In the end it matters how good the device is sounding and if it can  be used with an app that is also accessible to me and has all the features I need.

I had an Aries G2 from Auralic before and I was only able to use this device with Auralic Lightning app, Linn Kazoo or the Lumin app. All this apps are not very good to use for me in my special situations and all apps had areas that are not accessible and are very complicated to use. The Aries G2 is a good device and I liked it very much for its sound, but when I am not able to use it and using means stress for me this is no good solution.

I've tried many things to get the Aries G2 connected to the LMS, but in the end it only worked with the AirPlay bridge and that means that listening to hires material was not possible. So this was not what I wanted...

Now, with the Lunin U1, I have a also very good sounding device, I'd even say it sounds better then the Aries G2. I can also use Linn Kazoo or the Lumin app, but aditionaly I can also use LMS and iPeng, which is the most accessible solution still.

And over the wekend I've found out, that also Audirvana and its remote app for the smartphone is also very good to use and also very accessible and it is also working with the Lumin streamer.

So in the end every thing is fine for me, no matter if the implementation of the UPnP or http stack is bad or not. The most important thing it is working and even mor important...., it is sounding good!

4 hours ago, wklie said:

Just trying to provide an explanation of what's happening, not denying we may have an issue regarding this part of HTTP functionality:  We require the use of HTTP Content-Length and range requests, which may not work well with chunked transfer encoding in some situations.

So maybe you can try to make the http stack more standard conform in future firmware releases, if possible. that will make the Lumin devices more compartible to the rest of DLNA / UPnP capable apps and programs.

Like said, its no problem for me currently. I am happy that the device works at  all and this is much more then with the Auralic device I had before. I can use more apps and the sound is equal or even better...., so every thing is fine. And ofcourse I hope this will be also the case for future firmwares....

BTW.: Is it possible to roll back a firmware on a U1 if a new release will not longer work? If turned on automated firmware updates, maybe I should disable it to be save that my current setup will work stable?

I'd like to have new firmwares ofcourse, but I also have to make sure that my system is accessible and works for me in my special situation as a blind user....

Cheers ans thanks,

Schoepp

12 minutes ago, Schoeppi said:

Is it possible to roll back a firmware on a U1 if a new release will not longer work? If turned on automated firmware updates, maybe I should disable it to be save that my current setup will work stable?

Yes.  For situations where manual changing of firmware may be troublesome, you may consider disabling firmware upgrade in the app.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead