IGNORED

Which Future DAC for a Specialized Use Case?

Lampizator used to make a DSD only DAC that didn't use a chip to convert DSD.

You might be able to get one used, or maybe they would make one for you if you asked.

What kind of budget are you thinking of?

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

10 hours ago, firedog said:

Lampizator used to make a DSD only DAC that didn't use a chip to convert DSD.

You might be able to get one used, or maybe they would make one for you if you asked.

What kind of budget are you thinking of?

Not thinking of the near term, just storing up information for whenever I might want to do something. So I'm not concerned about price so much as circuit design and parts quality in the final analog filter and output stage.

I'm interested in the possibility of directly driving an amp, though I'm agnostic about an analog vs. software volume control. If a software volume control doesn't sound better than the volume knob on my preamp, so be it; and equally so for the reverse situation. Direct optical Ethernet input would be nice, but it's up to the audio gods whether that will be available at the time I feel like upgrading.

I'm going to have to have a look at DIY Audio to see what names are mentioned with regard to parts for the analog filter stage; if anyone here ( @barrows, @Miska, @Superdad, others?) has suggestions in that respect, I'll gladly read them.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.