IGNORED

Burn in time of network equipment?

I'll offer a non sarcastic response to the Op.

If you believe in burn-in then there is no reason why it shouldn't apply (to greatly varying extents) to different equipment.

For example my EtherRegen definitely improved after a period of a couple weeks. That said my Netgear switch didn't make a noticeable improvement in the first place or improve over the time.

So the sensible, non mocking answer, is that it very much depends on the item and how much it contributes to the system sound. For the majority of network equipment, routers, switches, ethernet cables it's very unlikely they'll make enough of a contribution that any burn-in would make an audible difference.

Cheers,

Alan

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm Audio MU1 server > (Sablon AES) Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Salk Sound Supercharged Songtowers

4 hours ago, jabbr said:

ok honestly the mark of a good network switch is complete and utter silence from day 1. The network should transmit the sound with absolute transparency — there should be literally nothing to burn in.

Hey @jabbr

Agreed. But the crucial word there is "should".

Like a quality interconnect "should" be absolutely transparent.

I know the science either disputes this or doesn't support it - depending on your perspective. But many people are spending a lot of time on their network because they hear a difference. Only way to know for sure is to try it. But totally agree the vast majority of network kit and cables in unlikely to make an audible difference, let alone need burn-in.

I've bought expensive and semi-expensive LAN cables that made no difference that I could discern. Perhaps my system isn't revealing enough, perhaps my ears aren't bat-like enough, perhaps it's all BS. But I plugged the ER in and went whoa!. It was immediate and it was significant. It also changed as it burned in. Check the ER threads on this or other forums like WBF, Naim etc. All those people cannot possibly be collective cognitive bias or whatever.

Anyway. Not trying to get into a subjective argument or anything. Just saying that in this game what should happen and what you hear happen aren't always the same thing.

Cheers,

Alan

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm Audio MU1 server > (Sablon AES) Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Salk Sound Supercharged Songtowers