IGNORED

Will tube preamp add?

100% purchase 2 subs, not just one.  Ideally, the subs will have their own built in DSP.  Subwoofers add more than just low frequency.  They also help to recreate the sense of the recording venue and improve sound staging.  It takes a little bit of work to get the placement of the subs correct, and then blended in, but once you get it right- wow!  One of the most perplexing things for me is, how so many in our hobby dismiss subs and low frequencies in general, like they don't matter.  They are totally fine with just lopping off an important part of the music, which is the polar opposite of the goal of high fidelity.

@motberg you make an interesting point about "dissecting" the musical information when listening and how that focus can ruin the overall emotional experience of listening to a particular song.  I am one who does not want to watch a "behind the scenes" piece about how a particular movie was made, or how a certain special effect was done as it ruins the magic of the movie.  Similarly, I absolutely will not look at DR reports on songs/albums, otherwise, all I will think about is listening for dynamic range deficiencies. 

Now, having said that, I know others really enjoy learning about how things were made, and that enhances their enjoyment.  So I am probably in the minority in not wanting to know how the cake was made.

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

6 minutes ago, bluesman said:

I want to know if there’s a difference between 30 minutes in a 325 degree oven and 45 minutes in a 275 degree oven........and if there is, am I able to taste it?  

I’m more than a little surprised to find audiophiles who don’t want to know if what they think they hear is there, how it got there if it is, and if it is but they don’t hear it - why not?  I can’t imagine that such knowledge and interest could interfere with the enjoyment of music.

Chacun à son goût.

All good, and like I said, I think I am in the minority.  To shed a little more light on my comments and my personal take on "the cake", I think background info like- it was recorded in this venue or this recording studio is interesting for me.  However, it is a question of how far into the details we get because at some point, it will become a distraction for me.  Others will certainly view things differently.  

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC