IGNORED

Will tube preamp add?

8 minutes ago, PeterG said:

First, I concur with the earlier recommendation on a subwoofer.  The KEF's are fine speakers, but like all monitors, they will not rock without a sub--as you've experienced.  A REL T5 would fit your punch above weight philosophy for about $600.  You'll be stunned by the improvement, not just at the low end, but at the heft provided to all instruments.  With a good well integrated sub, you will not hear the difference as much as feel it.

Small speakers, monitors, typically are not stabilised enough in their location for decent heft to be conveyed - what I mean by this is that one adds effective mass to the cabinet of them, so that their character then becomes that of a speaker of an order or two greater in weight. If done well, the transformation can quite astounding, and can easily make huge speakers sound quite weedy in comparison  ... something to consider ...

3 hours ago, PeterG said:

I think you missed one of the key points in my post, and another--we are not advocating a sub for overpowering bass, but rather for the weight and feel they will give all of the instruments, this is an absolute must for rock.  You might read the REL website--their propaganda is correct.  Also, if you check my AS profile, you'll see that I share your affinity for both monitors and tubes.  I agree that 2 subs might be too much for a small room, and it definitely adds to the complexity.  But like Sam-I-Am, I only suggest you try it

Subs can do the job, but this is not guaranteed - a setup I visited that had everything done right as regards producing low distortion deep bass notes, using two massive sealed subwoofer setups, still failed to give good "weight and feel" to the bass lines in the music. I'm using some decent, bookshelf sized active speakers right now, and the sense of the bass in some tracks was quite overpowering - too much in fact; resolved by increasing the effective mass of the units. The same factor is at work in the comment about Quads sounding better with the bass removed - stabilsing their frames would have been another option for improving the sound.

20 minutes ago, 4est said:

I’m not sure what the first part of your response is supposed to mean, but no amount of frame stabilization is going to do what I am- not even close

Stabilising the cabinet of the speakers is a procedure I've been using ever since I took audio more seriously - in the early days I would visit showrooms of audio shops, where they had monster speakers, towering over me ... which produced lousy bass. The sound of poorly stabilised speakers I find very irritating - it's essential to get the frame or cabinet holding the drivers in position under control, I have always found.