IGNORED

Misleading Measurements

Just now, pkane2001 said:

Hi Chris,

USB cables introduce a lot less variability into the overall playback chain than the DAC, the analog stage, the amp, and especially the transducer, speakers or headphones. Usually this is well below the threshold of audibility. I've seen a few broken USB cables that caused obvious errors, but a cable that conforms to USB spec should just work.

I hear what you're saying, but a DAC that measures below the threshold of human hearing must also be in that "should just work" category correct?

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

8 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I hear what you're saying, but a DAC that measures below the threshold of human hearing must also be in that "should just work" category correct?

I think you already know the answer to that question.

Unless you have already heard a DAC that "does just work". 

The audio industry thrives on things that don't "just work". You could say it is part of the fun of the hobby (not my point of view, but that's not important).

9 minutes ago, fas42 said:

not how many high end setups operate - they frequently make recordings impossible to listen to; the level of distortion being added in the playback is far too unpleasant to tolerate, for any extended period.

So how can many here spend hours each day listening to their "setups"?

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

4 minutes ago, John Dyson said:

Tweak-tweak-tweak works okay in primitive situations -- but in more complex multi-dimensional situations (almost all EE/DSP stuff is like that), can become a misguided allocation of time.  A little learning/planning ahead of time, in many simple applied technology cases (home audio systems) are well worth the investment.

Many of you know that I am in tweak tweak tweak hell right now -- and I would never counsel any friend of mine to use the design-by-tweak technique for any complex project at all.

John

Why the "tweak-tweak-tweak" method works in the audio game is because the core engineering is good - to use your analogy, Tesla did all the crucial research as well as what was needed - but, he was a bad 'finisher' ...it needed an Edison to come along and finesse the solid design elements already in place; tidy up the loose ends.

Which is why "turds can be polished" - the keys parts are good enough to do the job, but require extra, additional, knowledge driven refinement to bring out what is inherently possible - the end result can easily outperform, subjectively, an unfinished "Tesla effort" ...

1 hour ago, John Dyson said:

You really do seem like a measure twice, cut once type person, and that is good.   Tweak tweak tweak, on the other hand, wastes a lot of potentially productive time. 

It’s more than that, often the first cut is the cleanest, and refitting just frays the edges. 

The saying: the enemy of good is perfect is apropos.

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

12 hours ago, pkane2001 said:
12 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Correct. But there are many more opportunities to mess up a DAC than a USB cable.

Hold the phone, is not the number of opportunities to mess up irrelevant? If in fact the DUT measures below the threshold of human hearing it "should just work" in that range below the threshold of human hearing, isn't that the assertion? So why report it is the question being asked. Things like price, aesthetics, build quality, and performance in the audible range are independent factors that people can use to guide purchase.

Sound Minds Mind Sound

3 hours ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

Hold the phone, is not the number of opportunities to mess up irrelevant? If in fact the DUT measures below the threshold of human hearing it "should just work" in that range below the threshold of human hearing, isn't that the assertion? So why report it is the question being asked. Things like price, aesthetics, build quality, and performance in the audible range are independent factors that people can use to guide purchase.

Already answered all of that.

29 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

Already answered all of that.

Sorry, I missed this bit....

18 hours ago, pkane2001 said:

As long as the consumers are aware that there's no audible difference, they can concentrate on other qualities that matter to them.

Hi Paul and yes I do agree. I already said something similar too 😜

The crucial part, as you say, is that the (allegedly) inaudible part not be represented as a better performance marker. So, If the measurement is offered and not specifically stated as irrelevant it may well be misleading to those less technically inclined readers. Presumably @Archimago provides this interpretation in those cases.

In either case it would be nice to hear from @Archimago as he was specifically mentioned by the OP.

Sound Minds Mind Sound

On 7/2/2020 at 8:50 AM, pkane2001 said:

Correct. But there are many more opportunities to mess up a DAC than a USB cable.

Though there are plenty of opportunities to introduce noise into a system involving a number of boxes and cables that include both of these. I would love to see more work done on system topology, components and cabling and how all of these affect system noise. I've seen a few articles about topics like grounding, but I haven't had good luck finding detailed and precise information on how to configure a system and then how to measure the results in easy to digest form for the audio layperson (i.e., non-electrician).

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

1 hour ago, Jud said:

Though there are plenty of opportunities to introduce noise into a system involving a number of boxes and cables that include both of these. I would love to see more work done on system topology, components and cabling and how all of these affect system noise. I've seen a few articles about topics like grounding, but I haven't had good luck finding detailed and precise information on how to configure a system and then how to measure the results in easy to digest form for the audio layperson (i.e., non-electrician).

A USB cable has a very simple design and the USB spec defines the parameters of what it has to be able to accomplish, and to what tolerances. Anything else the cable is doing is superfluous or possibly detrimental to its purpose of carrying data.

If you want to know how anything in the chain is affecting noise in the audio system -- measure the output of the system. The output of a DAC is what is fed into an amp. If the noise is not detectable there, then it's either non-existent, or it's properly filtered out by the receiver circuits.

Unlike the claims by Frank and others, I usually test a large portion of my system all wired together. Sometimes including two PCs (one is a Mac), attached RAID storage, a Wi-Fi network, a USB-to-Ethernet converter, a couple of USB and ethernet cables (one is 100ft long), a DAC, and sometimes even an amp with a simulated load. All in one shot. If this doesn't introduce any measurable additional noise into my system compared to, say, a Lush^2 cable feeding the same DAC directly from a battery-powered PC, then I'm not worried that anything is introducing unwanted noise. 

4 hours ago, pkane2001 said:

All in one shot. If this doesn't introduce any measurable additional noise into my system compared to, say, a Lush^2 cable feeding the same DAC directly from a battery-powered PC, then I'm not worried that anything is introducing unwanted noise. 

Why a  Lush^2 USB cable ?

Are you admitting that some specification meeting USB cables may result in audible differences , even if not obviously measuring differently ? 😋 

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

4 hours ago, pkane2001 said:

A USB cable has a very simple design and the USB spec defines the parameters of what it has to be able to accomplish, and to what tolerances. Anything else the cable is doing is superfluous or possibly detrimental to its purpose of carrying data.

If you want to know how anything in the chain is affecting noise in the audio system -- measure the output of the system. The output of a DAC is what is fed into an amp. If the noise is not detectable there, then it's either non-existent, or it's properly filtered out by the receiver circuits.

Unlike the claims by Frank and others, I usually test a large portion of my system all wired together. Sometimes including two PCs (one is a Mac), attached RAID storage, a Wi-Fi network, a USB-to-Ethernet converter, a couple of USB and ethernet cables (one is 100ft long), a DAC, and sometimes even an amp with a simulated load. All in one shot. If this doesn't introduce any measurable additional noise into my system compared to, say, a Lush^2 cable feeding the same DAC directly from a battery-powered PC, then I'm not worried that anything is introducing unwanted noise. 

I was thinking along the lines of practical tutorials like "OK, you've got a ground hum. Here's how to find what's responsible and eliminate it." 

Even better, since I think hum and noise that isn't consciously audible may subconsciously affect enjoyment (cf. the Iowa gambling task experiment), what is the equipment and what are the measurements to take to determine noise levels when there's no audible hum or noise?

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Just now, Jud said:

I was thinking along the lines of practical tutorials like "OK, you've got a ground hum. Here's how to find what's responsible and eliminate it." 

Even better, since I think hum and noise that isn't consciously audible may subconsciously affect enjoyment (cf. the Iowa gambling task experiment), what is the equipment and what are the measurements to take to determine noise levels when there's no audible hum or noise?

As my friends and I used to say, with Spectral the added hum is a feature :~)

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

8 hours ago, bluesman said:

But it’s an excellent way for many to get critical education and experience.  Those who just want to listen need easy, efficient, transparent aids to optimize their systems.  But to those for whom knowledge about what’s in the boxes and how it all works enhances their audiophilic enjoyment, tweaking can be a valuable and pleasurable learning experience.

If you’re learning from the effort (or just enjoying it), it’s productive time well spent.

A few tweaks are okay, but tweak tweak tweak isn't instructive.  Studying a bit of technical background and learning why the attempt at 'design' requires so many tweaks, is MUCH MUCH more important.

Tweaking doesn't create learning -- ask Mr Edison about that.  I doubt that 100yrs of Mr Edison tweaking would have created Tesla's new ideas.   Tweaking is an intuititve physical activity -- it is only an adjunct to the more important learning.   Or, most ideally -- a finishing touch.

John

29 minutes ago, Jud said:

I won't be any good at writing a testing and measurement guide, but these do exist written by others. What I do is simply use a quality ADC to measure a test signal at the output. Software like REW and others (including DeltaWave) let me measure distortions, compare waveforms, check phase, and measure harmonic distortion. With DeltaWave, I can use any audio track as the test signal. Occasionally I use a digital storage oscilloscope to check for what goes on well above audible frequencies. That's about it. You can do quite a bit with just REW.

6 hours ago, Jud said:

I would suggest looking at posts by member jneutron in the diyAudio forum for some good insights, if you are not familiar with him  - his bread and butter is making circuits in research facilties where huge currents are involved work properly, so has real world knowledge of what is needed. An example of his thinking, https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/the-lounge/348308-john-curls-blowtorch-preamplifier-iv-post6086931.html

6 hours ago, pkane2001 said:

How I detect noise is by listening ... it's trivially easy for me to make a tiny adjustment to the electrical environment of the home in which one is listening, and hear the variation in SQ. Whether one wishes to call this noise is up to the individual, but what it really says is that the playback chain is not sufficiently robust to reject this input - why you should want to measure such I don't quite see; but if you want to make it really obvious, in some numbers, just hook up, say, a working arc welder into a nearby socket - that will give you plenty of juicy data to work with, 😁.

42 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

Because I tested one.

Other than a Subjective check  , are you able to post some of your measurements, including it's measured impedance, which is possibly the most critical for a high quality USB cable , which could illustrate why so many members favour this cable over most generic USB cables ?

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020