Misleading Measurements

15 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

No way!

Organic Nepali Golden Black

https://youngmountaintea.com/products/nepali-golden-black

:~)

Tea nerds?  I'll stick to coffee :)

Bill

Labels assigned by CA members: "Cogley's ML sock-puppet," "weaponizer of psychology," "ethically-challenged," "professionally dubious," "machismo," "lover of old westerns," "shill," "expert on ducks and imposters," "Janitor in Chief," "expert in Karate," "ML fanboi or employee," "Alabama Trump supporter with an NRA decal on the windshield of his car," sycophant

1 hour ago, Teresa said:

I drink both and prefer them black.

Agree!

In Texas our tea is iced, though I differ from lots and drink it unsweetened :)

Labels assigned by CA members: "Cogley's ML sock-puppet," "weaponizer of psychology," "ethically-challenged," "professionally dubious," "machismo," "lover of old westerns," "shill," "expert on ducks and imposters," "Janitor in Chief," "expert in Karate," "ML fanboi or employee," "Alabama Trump supporter with an NRA decal on the windshield of his car," sycophant

1 hour ago, opus101 said:

Grammar is analysis of words - text and speech have physical reality.

Definitely.  Otherwise a whole field of science isn't really science.  Thankfully our brains are very real, though admittedly, our understanding of it relative to other organs could still be described as fairly primitive. :)

Bill

• 9 months later...
On 4/27/2021 at 7:15 PM, stereo coffee said:

You only need to attenuate consumer line level,  which is NOT 2v RMS its nominal 0.316v RMS  , You might be reading too many reviews that test equipment at that high level, that is unrelated to what is at a RCA socket when playing CD's in home audio systems. 

Why its bad is because your source component contains the very best opportunity of presenting music as it actually can be, adding anything in-between other than resistance to attenuate,  simply detracts from that opportunity.    

I believe the initial standard for the output of CD players was 2V.

Really, all of this comes down to proper gain-staging rather than any standards, i.e. the lowest gain that drives your amplifier to full output, such that you minimize attenuation in preceding components, either analog or digital.  Significant gain in a preamp that is only subsequently attenuated is suboptimal at best.

My DAC outputs at the professional standard.  My amplifier on its lowest gain setting (which minimizes noise, the goal of all of this) typically leads to -5 to -12 dbs of total system attenuation, loud listening it is close to 0 (if our listening was only at one level this would allow and be the ideal scenario).

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

This is getting bizarre, heck, borderline ridiculous.  @March Audio and @bluesman are absolutely correct.

There is a conversion of an analog signal to digital (ADC).  You CANNOT encode a music signal with one and zeroes above 0 dbFS, it will all be (terrible) noise, there is no headroom recording digitally.  In fact, you should not approach 0 dbFS, as they said, to avoid intersample overs when the ones and zeroes are converted back to analog (DAC).

When a DAC chip converts the digital signal back to analog (in a DAC designed for pros or consumers), it produces either a signal that could be described as current or voltage.  If the former, a current to voltage converter is the next stage (traditional), in the latter, this is done on the chip (modern).  This voltage then goes through additional gain stages in the DAC to either produce -10dbV from consumer DACs (typically, but not always), or +4dbU in professional DACs (more closely adhered to).  These levels are important to interface with subsequent/corresponding consumer or professional gear that is designed to accept the different levels for proper gainstaging (enough to drive to full output levels in preamps, then amps, but not overload them).  It really isn't complicated.

Bill

1 hour ago, March Audio said:

This voltage then goes through additional gain stages in the DAC to either produce -10dbV from consumer DACs (typically, but not always)

Yes, my mistake, you are correct.  Sorry.  2V is typical (what I meant to write first and noted before instead referencing the standards, oy), but there is more variation than seen in professional DACs.

Bill