IGNORED

Misleading Measurements

2 hours ago, ASRMichael said:

Ouch!!! Sure that will respark this thread! 

why not?  With Covid, and it being a holiday evening, I'm bored and this thread has been entertaining to say the least...    

Would be nice to see a true study done between what is measurable in terms of audio quality and what is psychological and subjective....  I also have to wonder if a lot of the 2nd, 4th and odd order harmonics that are masked / amplified by certain setups in power supply, cable shielding, and other EMF/RF factors aren't more easily heard by some than others and thus the endless debate over measurement vs how it sounds?

19 minutes ago, fas42 said:

It's really very easy ... if it's trivially obvious when you hear music coming from somewhere, that it's an audio system - then the distortion is audible. When the distortion and misbehaviour that matters is inaudible, then all the qualities that audio people chase will be there in abundance - no-one really knows how to measure one state versus the other; hence the ongoing kerfuffling ....

Personally I like to look at things thru extreme examples sometimes to better understand them...

For example, is there intrinsically better sound from a piece of audio equipment that is made of the highest grade transistors, capacitors, resisters, transformers, and other components vs a similarity engineered piece of equipment, only using the lowest grade components available?    OR.. better yet... if were replaced all of the wire in our high fi systems with lamp chord, and those black (rend and white ended) RCA cables that came with the $99 DVD player that CostCo sells...   would our systems sound then same?  Especially under load?

While I've never tried this experiment directly, it's almost self evident that as with most things in life... you get what you pay for, and that stuff that measures well, will usually work well, but not always... as those measurements might not be looking at the entire picture (or sound as the case might be).

Just now, danadam said:

Can you give a few examples?

no, just came across a lot of threads where if the guy sticks his neck out against the prevailing crowd.... the words "Banned" appear under their username. 👍

7 hours ago, danadam said:

I see. So we can't check if they "sticked their neck out" in a similar manner as wbh did. Ok. A bit sad to see such accusations without some more substance behind them.

look man, I know what I saw.... just go find the PS Audio DirectStream DAC review thread and you'll find at least 3 banned users.. all of them dared try to defend the DAC they felt sounded good against the measurement nazis in that thread including Amir.   I saw the same all over the board while lurking... 

4 minutes ago, SoundAndMotion said:

- The other was you. You know why, and the reason you were banned was *not* an unwillingness to toe the pro-measurement line. People here have been banned for the same reason you were banned there.

you did your homework very well....  I didn't want to have to spell it out for you 😉

• 2 weeks later...
51 minutes ago, mav52 said:

He has always had an agenda.  His site, its agree with him or hit the door.  I take that site for what it is.

49 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Yes, exactly. In fact, in 99% of the cases people express frustration with me because I don't ban people quick enough.

yeah, I know... I was a victim of such a ban because I refused to bow down and worship on the alter of measurements..

I too run two different very active Facebook chat groups, as well as moderator on a major aviation message board... you get people that are obsessed with banning someone, that isn't someone you want in a position of power..  freedom of expression is critical to having a healthy and vibrant online community. 

22 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

Hey, what a great discussion for an objective sub-forum -- let's bash the other site that has no-one left here to defend themselves.

Well at least you can post something like this and not get banned here....  if a guy posts the equivalent over there, they're gone! out! ... later..

1 minute ago, danadam said:

Ah... so that's what your "slave shop factories" comment was. 🤦‍♂️

it was a statement of pure truth...  there is no doubt, whatsoever that a majority of workers in Chinese factories, especially electronics factories are borderline slaves... certainly by contrast to US, Japan, EU and other labor markets..   But to attack their limitless source of cheap, knockoff, and intellectual rights disregarded product hit a soft spot clearly.  

6 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

Well, that partly true, but it's not the full truth. There's plenty known about human hearing. A lot is understood, studied, measured and well established. Psychoacoustics is also not magic, although the field is made more complicated because of all the variations and varied tastes among human subjects. Magic is only required by those who chose to ignore the advances that have been made in the past 30-40 years.

nonsense... one of the least understood biological and psychological fields is that of hearing and how it varies so greatly between people... especially people that are biologically very similar (read twins for example)...

What we don't know about how the human ear's eventual delivery of the signals generated by sound waves to the human brain (or various individual human ears), essentially how we hear, things like..  even and odd order harmonics can fill a book alone.. much less getting into the effects of jitter and how some are far more able to discern when jitter is high on a recording while others can't tell...  for that matter, there are many who can't tell the difference between a 

mp3 and a FLAC 192/24 file of the same recording..  So whereas you can measure the difference between the two files, the fact that even one person, much less many from a random large sample hear different things from the same recording says a lot with regards to the importance of measurements and the experience of hearing music, weather live and analogue, or digitally reproduced  back into analog via a HiFi system.