IGNORED

Misleading Measurements

On 7/5/2020 at 5:48 AM, PeterSt said:

Every smallest change is audible to me and my system and none of them can be measured with known equipment (or it can't realistically be bought because it costs millions (literally)).

From another thread:

On 6/27/2020 at 3:21 AM, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

@manisandher in the Red Pill/ Blue Pill scored [p=0.01], a 99% consistency ie probability that his perception was not a product of random chance or guesswork.

Yep. The two inputs were measured as being bit-identical. There seemed to be no consistent differences in the analogue outputs (admittedly with a non-SOTA ADC it transpired)... and yet... I could hear a difference.

Is it that our threshold of audibility is below the level to which we can measure THD/SINAD, etc., or... are we simply measuring the wrong things?

Mani.

Main: SOtM sMS-200 -> Okto dac8PRO -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horns + 2x Rotel RB-1590 amps -> 4 subs

Home Office: SOtM sMS-200 -> MOTU UltraLite-mk5 -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Impulse H2 speakers

Vinyl: Technics SP10 / London (Decca) Reference -> Trafomatic Luna -> RME ADI-2 Pro

15 hours ago, Jud said:

Sensory memories are quite short - perhaps 4 seconds in the case of audio...

Hey Jud, when I conducted the ABX test with Mans, each sample lasted for about 15 seconds. There was then a 5-10 second delay before the next sample started. The whole 10x ABX took around 15 minutes to undertake.

15 hours ago, Jud said:

It's not at all surprising we'd need a strong, very recognizable quality to impress us as different in that short amount of time.

In the ABX, I was primarily picking up an ever-so-slight edginess in the piano in one and not in the other sample (both bit-identical to each other).

15 hours ago, Jud said:

Which of these are we doing when we enjoy listening to music?

By the end of the ABX, I was totally exhausted (having conducted a couple of non-ABX tests beforehand too). The experience was absolutely nothing like listening to music for pleasure. I suspect this is the main reason why ABX tests often 'fail'.

I'm reading, and very much enjoying, 'The Master and His Emissary' by Iain McGilchrist at the moment. Maybe an ABX test is more of a left-brain activity, whereas listening to music for enjoyment is more of a right-brain activity? Not easy to reconcile the two.

Mani.

Main: SOtM sMS-200 -> Okto dac8PRO -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horns + 2x Rotel RB-1590 amps -> 4 subs

Home Office: SOtM sMS-200 -> MOTU UltraLite-mk5 -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Impulse H2 speakers

Vinyl: Technics SP10 / London (Decca) Reference -> Trafomatic Luna -> RME ADI-2 Pro