IGNORED

Misleading Measurements

6 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

That’s only a controversy if one expects one’s person subjective opinion to be used to judge how something will sound to anyone else.

I disagree. It's not a matter of how it sounds (taste/subjective) but of identifying shortcomings (observation/objective).

9 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

His measurements are testable and repeatable, his one sighted speaker test, not so much. At least not without investing a few million $$$ into a research study, similar to what Harman did.

Like I said, I am ever more inclined to believe that corners were cut in Harman's research. Methodology, small samples, untrained listeners...

7 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

This is just a simple case of argument by authority when people start believing that Amir has some super-human powers. He doesn’t.

I am not convinced that Amir is a particularly experienced listener but I find it perfectly possible for the Infinity to produce audible distortion(s).

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

3 hours ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

A better measuring product measures better with a particular tool and FWIW. That may or may not mean it is "better" in whatever way depending on what the goal is and how validly the measure reflects that goal ...if at all.

I am not sure what you mean but I agree with @PeterSt that "a better measuring product is better engineered", as long as you are considering a product that performs better across a comprehensive set of measurements.

There is no point in having a time-coherent speaker if the response curve is completely ragged, the dispersion is all over the place and nasty driver break up resonances are very audible...

58 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

Did you participate in Archimago's THD blind test? THD/SINAD are not the wrong thing to measure, they are a very simplified, average number approximating a much more complex non-linear behavior. As a first order approximation, these might be useful, but certainly not enough for a careful analysis of a device. Other measurements are required for that.

Oversimplification seems to be quite common. The Spinorama comes to mind.

11 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

No way!

Organic Nepali Golden Black

https://youngmountaintea.com/products/nepali-golden-black

:~)

Interesting, it comes from a region not that far from Darjeeling (where my favourite tea is grown).

Might give it a try at some point.

Did you guys know that tea is being grown half-way between the US and continental Europe, right in the middle of the Atlantic?

https://gorreana.pt/en/

• 2 months later...