IGNORED

Misleading Measurements

3 hours ago, pkane2001 said:

I see that Alex is getting upset that we are veering off topic, so I'll stop here ;)

I seem to recall it was about

On 6/29/2020 at 10:42 AM, The Computer Audiophile said:

I would love to know why objective people are interested in anything below the threshold of human hearing and why they are interested in this info given that it can cause the same issues they rail against with respect to subjective opinions. 

Perhaps I should ask @Archimago why he publishes measurements below the threshold of human hearing. 

Sound Minds Mind Sound

12 hours ago, pkane2001 said:
12 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I hear what you're saying, but a DAC that measures below the threshold of human hearing must also be in that "should just work" category correct?

Correct. But there are many more opportunities to mess up a DAC than a USB cable.

Hold the phone, is not the number of opportunities to mess up irrelevant? If in fact the DUT measures below the threshold of human hearing it "should just work" in that range below the threshold of human hearing, isn't that the assertion? So why report it is the question being asked. Things like price, aesthetics, build quality, and performance in the audible range are independent factors that people can use to guide purchase.

Sound Minds Mind Sound

29 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

Already answered all of that.

Sorry, I missed this bit....

18 hours ago, pkane2001 said:

As long as the consumers are aware that there's no audible difference, they can concentrate on other qualities that matter to them.

Hi Paul and yes I do agree. I already said something similar too 😜

The crucial part, as you say, is that the (allegedly) inaudible part not be represented as a better performance marker. So, If the measurement is offered and not specifically stated as irrelevant it may well be misleading to those less technically inclined readers. Presumably @Archimago provides this interpretation in those cases.

In either case it would be nice to hear from @Archimago as he was specifically mentioned by the OP.

Sound Minds Mind Sound

6 hours ago, John Dyson said:

A few tweaks are okay, but tweak tweak tweak isn't instructive.  Studying a bit of technical background and learning why the attempt at 'design' requires so many tweaks, is MUCH MUCH more important.

Tweaking doesn't create learning -- ask Mr Edison about that.  I doubt that 100yrs of Mr Edison tweaking would have created Tesla's new ideas.   Tweaking is an intuititve physical activity -- it is only an adjunct to the more important learning.   Or, most ideally -- a finishing touch.

John

I think you may be being a bit bold about this John ! 🤣🙄 ^^^

Sound Minds Mind Sound

6 hours ago, sandyk said:
6 hours ago, pkane2001 said:

Because I tested one [Lush cable].

Other than a Subjective check  , are you able to post some of your measurements, including it's measured impedance, which is possibly the most critical for a high quality USB cable , which could illustrate why so many members favour this cable over most generic USB cables ?

Being somewhat OT, @pkane2001could these measurements be misleading?

Sound Minds Mind Sound

1 hour ago, PeterSt said:

But of course a better measuring product is better engineered etc. There are no coincidences here.

A better measuring product measures better with a particular tool and FWIW. That may or may not mean it is "better" in whatever way depending on what the goal is and how validly the measure reflects that goal ...if at all.

53 minutes ago, PeterSt said:

The point of my post from yesterday was that there is virtually no threshold of audibility. You (and millions more) seem to think this threshold exists.

I think there are obviously auditory perceptual thresholds and they are at least potentially measurable with the right tools and the right method. I think the "millions" you refer to Peter are those individuals who mistake results of test tone audiometry for perception of complex and dynamic musical passages. They mistake acuity at one level to complex perception at other levels and/or alternative ways of perceiving. 

- Improve your listening skills;

- Improve your system where needed (but it is my estimate this will be the least issue for most);

- get the proper tools to vary the results (this may impede your imagination). Now iterate to the first step.

+1

Sound Minds Mind Sound

22 minutes ago, semeniub said:

I would like to propose a different position on the relevance of measurements, from a sound and vibration engineering, rather than EE perspective.

The last items in the audio chain before your ears are either the loudspeaker or headphone drivers. The measurement that I am then most interested in is the displacement and phase of the driver surface, as this is what is radiating sound. I can measure this very precisely using a laser vibrometer, at single points, or map over the entire surface of the driver.

The proposal then is if I have a reasonably accurate system and keep it constant, I can change out components such as DACs which differentiate themselves via “superior” EE measurement parameters, and see if there is any measurable difference in terms of driver displacements. The premise then is if you have not changed the driver displacement, you have not introduced a significant audible change with the introduction of the superior EE measuring component in the system.

I realize that this would be a new way of looking at the problem, and not everyone has access to laser vibrometer measurement facilities, but at least this would be a type of measurement parameter that would be guaranteed to have an effect on audibility. Maybe someone with the right connections to a lab could have a system set up there where 5 different DACs, having low to high SINAD numbers, could be tested as a feasibility study?

Nice. At least we are moving downstream, from the output of the DAC (comparing signals with signals) to the output of the sound wave transducer.

One day we should be able to use a vibrometer at the tympanic membrane level, even further downstream. One day it may be even possible to tune into the cochlear transduced signal. Oh wait, that's what the brain is for ...😁🤣

Just kidding, sounds like a very cool idea. The caveat would be the same as other measurements - how valid is the result (is it sensitive, is it reliable etc)

Sound Minds Mind Sound

1 minute ago, semeniub said:

This concept just has to be tested out in a small feasibility study first. Some colleagues have used laser vibrometers to measure nano scale vibrations in materials, does that sound sensitive enough? I'll check with them sometime to see if they have any suggestions on how this could be done.

Intriguing. I suppose you'd attempt some kind of Fourier transform of component frequencies? and somehow try and correlate changes in vibrations or frequencies with perceived listening experiences. At the end of the day it would come down to how well you could analyze the vibrations to meaningful spectral or timing or spatial characteristics that match/predict perception. Could we measure changes for example that correlate with soundstage. Fascinating stuff

Sound Minds Mind Sound

4 minutes ago, PeterSt said:

Not even that, unless you fall back to test signals. So do notice that I was not talking about test signals with the sines and the squarish mess etc. - it is to be about real music, e.g. containing a nice long organ pipe. So it is the lot which changes a particular "instrument" / sound.

If such a thing would allow measurement from a single test signal (or 10 or 50 (IMD)) it would be easy. But it does not work like that at all.

So you have, for example, a choir in a church loudly singing and let's say that the baritones do not run into your woofers. What I say is that the quality of your woofer's output (implied by the organ) is influenced in the electronic's path by the other frequencies. Change a few XXHighEnd settings et voilá.  Or change to a different USB cable. Or change the configuration of it (oops). Change the computer processor's frequency.

Everything matters. In this example it could be the impedance response of the power amp which is influenced by higher frequencies (and the higher frequencies may change by whatever the change you applied), now allowing for better (or worse) bass control. ... Like I said earlier, test your imagination on what all could happen in order to explain things (which is thus what I always try).

I never said it would be easy 😁

Sound Minds Mind Sound

39 minutes ago, semente said:

I am not sure what you mean but I agree with @PeterSt that "a better measuring product is better engineered", as long as you are considering a product that performs better across a comprehensive set of measurements.

There is no point in having a time-coherent speaker if the response curve is completely ragged, the dispersion is all over the place and nasty driver break up resonances are very audible...

Hi Ricardo, I simply mean that (in your words) " very low resolution unfit-for-purpose" measurements are meaningless = do not mean better engineering (or anything else). So it comes down to the quality, validity and interpretation of the measurement/s.

Sound Minds Mind Sound