IGNORED

The world of Windows 10 / Microsoft and all ... / Computers

Another day I'll start a dedicated thread to Apple computers and all. Today it's Microsoft time, Windows 10 the latest on OS, graphics (visuals, 8K screen resolution, 3D, ...), sounds (hires mono/stereo/multiverse, DSD, MQA, ...), latest firmwares updates, latest Windows 10 version 2004, latest Edge browser, all the latest on everything and all the things we love and hate. ...Computers, laptops, tablets, androids sporting Microsoft features ...

I am not an expert, so I'm here more to learn. It can be the new SSD on your unit, the new DAC you plug in one of the jacks (Stereo headphones, HDMI v. 2.1, , USB 3.2, external 4K BR drive, headphone amp, optical jack, card reader, floppy disc, ...), or anything already inside and updated and uplifted and rejuvenated and all that Windows 10 jazz ... the good with the bad and the ugly. 

I start first: The New Edge browser is competitive with Google Chrome browser? 

31 minutes ago, Axial said:

I start first: The New Edge browser is competitive with Google Chrome browser? 

It certainly appears to be so far , giving me more choices and accessibility, although I have yet to try it with online grocery orders etc. where the original browser was no longer fully functional, and I had to start using Google Chrome.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Well, it is known that Chrome browser is a HUGE memory hog. The new Edge browser was based on Chromium which is the GNU version of Chrome but has quite a few tweaks from MS to limit memory usage. In fact, Google has said they will be using MS's memory system for a new version of Chrome to limit memory problems/

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

SSD's are easy to use on a Win10/Linux system. Buy the one you like and install it - format and use.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

It's the same for me; not enough experience yet with the new Edge 'Chomium' browser based. I like the new options and designs. 

Google Chrome is indeed a memory hugger. 

I've just read this ...

• https://www.techradar.com/amp/news/windows-10-update-problem-could-make-your-pc-slower-heres-how-to-fix-it

Yes, I like some Samsung SSD engines. But Samsung is not all smooth sailing on all their products. 

Question: Anyone running May Update, version 2004? Smooth as butter or rough as an ocean under a hurricane category 10? 

* Category 10 is the apocalypse. 

• 1 year later...

I'm not sure if I inquire at the right place, but here it is:

I've been trying to perform a clean install on my "Intel NUC10i7FNH Mini PC, Intel Core i7-10710U Up to 4.7GHz, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, HDMI, Thunderbolt, Card Reader, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth" computer. I have extensively perused the links\fora threads that Google offered upon searching for the relevant keywords, but I'm still stuck. Let me elaborate on my situation:

I try to use a rather old version of win10 from 2016 (X19-91907-01) and I'm told I need to enable the legacy install option, which I indeed did. Also, I have turned off the secure install option.

When I insert the original Windows USB dongle and enable Legacy but disable UEFI and fire up the Nuc, the system gets me to choose between 64 and 32bit and I always go for the 64. Then I see on the monitor displaying "loading files" and then I get this (see image titled "legacy").

If I only enable UEFI it makes me to choose again between 64 and 32bits. I opt for 64 then the setup menu shows up. I click on "Install now" and go through the whole process, and choose custom installation, however, at the end I get an error message (see image titled "error message).

Interestingly, I tried a third option, whereby I enable both the legacy and UEFI options and in that case, after choosing 64 bits and seeing "loading files" on the screen, I get yet another error as seen in "uefy+legacy".

As you might have deducted by now I am by no means a computer expert but I learn as I go. If I missed something out or screwed something up, please let me know as I urgently need this computer up and running for my work and I'm struggling to get out of this issue by myself. Much appreciated indeed!

uefy+legacy.jpg

error message.jpg

legacy.jpg

IMG_20210903_144923.jpg

"high fidelity” -> being faithful, accuracy in details; “the degree to which an electronic device accurately reproduces sound

1 hour ago, Peti said:

I try to use a rather old version of win10 from 2016 (X19-91907-01) and I'm told I need to enable the legacy install option, which I indeed did. Also, I have turned off the secure install option.

Why not download latest Win10 installer image from Microsoft and use that instead of a very old one?

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

I should have done that. Now I'm stuck with a Nuc that has no windows running on it and I dunno how to get that latest version without a running computer. I am writing this from an ipad. That's why I'm trying to find a solution to my aforesaid problem.

"high fidelity” -> being faithful, accuracy in details; “the degree to which an electronic device accurately reproduces sound

21 hours ago, Peti said:

I should have done that. Now I'm stuck with a Nuc that has no windows running on it and I dunno how to get that latest version without a running computer. I am writing this from an ipad. That's why I'm trying to find a solution to my aforesaid problem.

Here's what I would do. Either find a buddy with a computer, download the latest build from Microsoft and create a boot USB stick with Rufus.

Or, if worse comes to worse, buy off eBay a Windows 10 USB flash drive with product key. Like this. You could also find a USB stick with no license for cheaper if you have a code that works. Double check with the seller what version is on the stick. Your NUC I believe came out in 2020 so something like the "20H2" Windows 10 should be no problem. Should have no problem booting and installing off the USB stick.

Archimago's Musings: A "more objective" take for the Rational Audiophile.

Beyond mere fidelity, into immersion and realism.

:nomqa: R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/5/2021 at 5:14 PM, Archimago said:

Here's what I would do. Either find a buddy with a computer, download the latest build from Microsoft and create a boot USB stick with Rufus.

Or, if worse comes to worse, buy off eBay a Windows 10 USB flash drive with product key. Like this. You could also find a USB stick with no license for cheaper if you have a code that works. Double check with the seller what version is on the stick. Your NUC I believe came out in 2020 so something like the "20H2" Windows 10 should be no problem. Should have no problem booting and installing off the USB stick.

Just purchased a Win10 home edition brand new from eBay (X22-10232-01) and I was eager to install it. During the installation process I got an error message: "Windows cannot install required files. Make sure all files required for installation are available, and restart the installation. Error code: 0x8007025D"

I tried it thrice so far, getting the same error message. Can someone please help\advise on this issue? Thank you!

FYI - we could use some freebies to download and / or create bootable drives

https://github.com/dakhama-mehdi/CMC-ISO

https://www.pendrivelinux.com/yumi-multiboot-usb-creator/

https://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/67-microsoft-windows-and-office-iso-download-tool

Or simply download an ISO image off Microsoft's servers (i.e. https://software-download.microsoft.com ) after selecting the right language here

Windows 10 21H1
https://techbench.luzea.ovh/download.html?id=2033

As usual we could verify the ISO image afterwards

https://genuine-iso-verifier.weebly.com

On 9/17/2021 at 1:57 PM, Peti said:

Just purchased a Win10 home edition brand new from eBay (X22-10232-01) and I was eager to install it. During the installation process I got an error message: "Windows cannot install required files. Make sure all files required for installation are available, and restart the installation. Error code: 0x8007025D"

I tried it thrice so far, getting the same error message. Can someone please help\advise on this issue? Thank you!

Ouch, connect with the vendor and check if there's anything you need to do from your end. Should be pretty straight forward these days with modern UEFI machines. A search on that error code shows a number of web sites and even YouTube videos which you might want to have a look.

Yeah, you could download the Windows ISO as above and try again with another USB stick. Using the Home Edition key should work to activate.

Archimago's Musings: A "more objective" take for the Rational Audiophile.

Beyond mere fidelity, into immersion and realism.

:nomqa: R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

If one has a working Windows installation, Microsoft provides a Media Creation Tool for creating bootable USB sticks for installing Windows 10. This way you can create a stick with latest Windows 10 version.

Note, having internet connection available on the NUC during installation will help the installer get through.

If you've had activated Windows 10 installed on the computer before, you don't need activation codes as the earlier activation is recognized based on the hardware id. Naturally this requires working internet connection.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Thank you guys, I really appreciate the support. Turns out the problem was rather banal. I inserted the USB dongle into the front USB socket and that must have been the issue. As soon as I inserted the same dongle into one of the USB sockets in the back of the NUC, the installation process went through, nice and easy. How would have thought?😃