IGNORED

AO on streaming-only PC (no USB connection)

I posted this under the Software topic because I didn't realize this subforum is for Audiophile Optimizer. Please forgive the cross-posting, but I got no response there. 

I don't want to splurge for a Windows Server license, but I would like to explore using AudioOptimizer on my Windows 10 Pro NUC. I have not been able to ascertain whether it can make an difference on a computer not connected to the DAC over USB. I run the NUC headless using Splashtop Streamer and stream music stored on a NAS (variously using Roon, JRiver DLNA, or Audirvana) over ethernet to several Sonore rendus that are connected via USB to DACs or the digital input of an integrated amp. I therefore don't have DAC drivers installed on the NUC and thus don't need improved ASIO or WASAPI connectivity.

Can AudiophileOptimizer improve sound quality on a Windows 10 server that does not use DAC drivers? Does it disable the services needed for remote access?

Thanks for any information you can provide.

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s

22 hours ago, Mike Rubin said:

Can AudiophileOptimizer improve sound quality on a Windows 10 server that does not use DAC drivers? Does it disable the services needed for remote access?

imo -- audiophile optimizer is a great piece of software -- absolutely makes a difference on endpoints.  i haven't specifically compared on a server, but it should make a difference -- i can tell a difference when i switch my roon server from ROCK to ws2019 gui and back.

regarding your second question, audiophile optimizer runs you through a series of options that you can enable or disable -- one of them is whether you what to disable remote access.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
14 hours ago, jcn3 said:

imo -- audiophile optimizer is a great piece of software -- absolutely makes a difference on endpoints.  i haven't specifically compared on a server, but it should make a difference -- i can tell a difference when i switch my roon server from ROCK to ws2019 gui and back.

regarding your second question, audiophile optimizer runs you through a series of options that you can enable or disable -- one of them is whether you what to disable remote access.

Thanks for the information, especially about the remote access.  Do you know whether that allows the computer to use remote access apps like Splashtop or teamViewer or is it limited to Microsoft’s own Windows access product?

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s

10 hours ago, Mike Rubin said:

Thanks for the information, especially about the remote access.  Do you know whether that allows the computer to use remote access apps like Splashtop or teamViewer or is it limited to Microsoft’s own Windows access product?

don't know that level of detail -- sorry.  i just use windows remote desktop.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
15 minutes ago, jcn3 said:

don't know that level of detail -- sorry.  i just use windows remote desktop.

Thank you.  Windows Remote works for me if that's all I can use.  I just prefer other products. 

3 hours ago, jrobbins50 said:

I use VNC viewer to remote into my Roon / JRiver / HQP Player server running WS2019 (GUI mode but with RoonServer black screen shell) and AO. I did once install, use and uninstall TeamViewer. JCR 

Thanks, JCR.  Splashtop tech support emailed me that their streamer works with WS2019 even though their website doesn't list it as a supported platform, so I should be good. 

I forgot about VNC.  That's what I used on my very first server, an Olive Musica. It was great. 

Hello Mike

All remote tools (RDP, VNC, SplastTop, it does not matter which...) will work as expected, as long as you do not disable the network related services.

Best,

AudioPhil

ıllıllı [  ...AO 4.00 BETA... ] ıllıllı
____________________________________________________________________________________

Shop | Reviews | Reference System | AudiophileOptimizer 3.00 | PDF Guide