IGNORED

Phono Pre Amp Connection

NOMBEDES

Question

I have a Gold Note Phono Pre Amp.

Which connection should I use on my Luxman integrated Amp?

Connect the Phono Pre Amp into the "Phono" input on the Luxman?

Connect the Phono Pre Amp into the "Line1" input on the Luxman?

Thanks in advance.

In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake ~ Sayre's Law

5 answers to this question

9 minutes ago, NOMBEDES said:

Stereo Cart:  Ortofon 2M Blace (Moving Magnet)  Output voltage at 1000hz:   5 mv

Mono Cart:   Ortofon MC Cadenza Mono (Moving Coil)  Output voltage at 1000hz:  450 uV 

You should be fine with either Gold Note, as both the PH1 and the PH10 accept input from mm and mc cartridges.  If you have the PH1, you'll have to swap cables when you want to use the other arm.  But as I recall, the PH10 has 2 input channels that can be individually set for gain and impedance.

I've never seen or heard one, but the reviews are all great and it looks like a solid product.  Please let us know how it sounds and how you like it.

I think I might have a problem.

My turntable (VPI Classic IV) has two tonearms.  One Mono, one stereo.  I bought the Gold Note Phono Pre Amp because I can input both arms into the pre and then have phono line out to the amp.

So:

Stereo Cart:  Ortofon 2M Blace (Moving Magnet)  Output voltage at 1000hz:   5 mv

Mono Cart:   Ortofon MC Cadenza Mono (Moving Coil)  Output voltage at 1000hz:  450 uV 

As stated above all output from the Phono pre is connected to the "Line In:  input on the Luxman Integrated Amp.

Am I OK with the present set up?

On 6/23/2020 at 10:54 AM, bluesman said:

If it has a line level output (which I believe it does), it goes into a line level input on the Luxman.  The phono input is a direct in for “high output” cartridges (i.e. most moving magnets and the very few “high output” moving coils, which are clearly sold and designated as such).  It’s also usable with “pre-preamp” phono stages that bring the voltage from a normal mc cartridge (which is only microvolts) up to the millivoltage needed to drive the phono stage in your Luxman.

In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake ~ Sayre's Law

14 minutes ago, bluesman said:

You should be fine with either Gold Note, as both the PH1 and the PH10 accept input from mm and mc cartridges.  If you have the PH1, you'll have to swap cables when you want to use the other arm.  But as I recall, the PH10 has 2 input channels that can be individually set for gain and impedance.

I've never seen or heard one, but the reviews are all great and it looks like a solid product.  Please let us know how it sounds and how you like it.

I should have specified that I have the PH 10.  (with the optional outboard power supply.)   Very nice product.  Sounds great and not a budget buster.

25 minutes ago, NOMBEDES said:

I should have specified that I have the PH 10.  (with the optional outboard power supply.)   Very nice product.  Sounds great and not a budget buster.

Then you're truly golden.  Just plug in the two tonearms, set the gain and load to the specified values, and enjoy glorious music!