IGNORED

Tube Preamp Advice - Rogue, Schiit, and Vincent

1 hour ago, davide256 said:

A good recommendation. They make tube pre's that do transients right. Are they as sensitive to 12xx pre tube rolling as other tube designs?

I do not know that information. I do my my SP-16 was a very well reviewed at the time but for the digital volume control on the low end, which is not linear. I also like this pre because of the use of 12AX7 tubes which are more common and easier to obtain than others. I bought my from a friend, who basically had it since new and treated it with kid gloves.

I only have the stock tubes (EH tubes) and a set of NOS 1950's RCA's. I am currently using the RCA's because, based on blind testing, they highs were much crisper and not as rolled off. According to what I have read on other sites, yes, the sound can be tailored by tube rolling. The Pre part has 3 tubes and the integral phono stage also uses 3.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

22 minutes ago, davide256 said:

Ouch.  NOS 12AX7 tubes are hard to get and expensive, I could never afford NOS 12AX7 when I had the PV10A. You may want to try rolling in some new Tungsol tubes,

I liked them best out of the current common pre tubes vs the GL's and EH's. Telefunken remains my favorite NOS 12xx tube for neutrality and transient response or

the rare Holland Bugle Boys if you can find them. The Telefunken 12AU7's are still out there, I have 2 extra pairs squirreled away among the 50+ pairs of different NOS 12AU7/12AT7 tubes Ive tried. I have some NOS RCA clear top 12AU7's, 6SN7, they do have a nice top end. But I'm just not willing to pay $100+ for NOS

12AX7 tubes.

I had a buddy who is a tube collector and I got 6 NOS tubes that tested new (and in boxes) and within 10% of each other (testing wise) for 75 USD. Not too bad :D

Well EH are stock for all ARC pre's, I think. 

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

11 hours ago, DancingSea said:

Best I can tell, after 30 years of reading reviews, all audiophile gear is always great, and always punches above its weight class.  There have been no exceptions to that universal truth 😂

It is true and also the more expensive the equipment is the better the review.....

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590