IGNORED

It's official, Apple is transitioning to their own chips in the Mac

Here is the press release if you want to read it.

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2020/06/apple-announces-mac-transition-to-apple-silicon/

I don't think this will affect Roon too much, it may eliminate using a Mac as a Core, but the control app already runs on Apple designed chips, so that won't be a problem. HQPlayer may not like it either. That i9 Sonic Transporter is looking better and better.

No electron left behind.

1 minute ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

iOS supports native DSD with some apps right?

I honestly have no idea. Its my understanding it's only a consideration when outputting direct via USB. Network connections can go native. Am I wrong? I don't have any DSD yet, and my 2011 Mac Mini has zero chance of upsampling to DSD so I haven't tried it yet.

No electron left behind.

Here’s the official statement from Onkyo HF Player for iOS

DSD can be output as PCM or DoP. DoP Output function supports output of native DSD to DoP- and iPhone-compatible external devices (such as a DAC) via an appropriate wired connection. Playback of high-resolution files increases demands on CPU and battery resources.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

26 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Here’s the official statement from Onkyo HF Player for iOS

DSD can be output as PCM or DoP. DoP Output function supports output of native DSD to DoP- and iPhone-compatible external devices (such as a DAC) via an appropriate wired connection. Playback of high-resolution files increases demands on CPU and battery resources.

That's interesting. Macs with the T2 chip have a spotty record with audio output over USB. That's one reason I switched to network audio versus direct USB connection, I read the tea leaves, so to speak.

Edit: Right now, I can guarantee that Roon will work on a future iPad, and perhaps on an ARM Mac as a control point. Both Roon Server and HQPlayer will run on a Linux machine.

No electron left behind.

• 5 months later...

Any update on playing DSD files using an M1 Mac? I’m getting hiccups playing anything more than 64 on mine. Not sure if it’s a CPU issue (mine is a 2.3GHz dual-core i5 in a 2017 MBP) or I need more RAM (have 8 GB) or what. My Grace/Drop SDACB can supposedly handle DSD 256 and DXD, so DSD 128 should be no problem.

Any advice?

45 minutes ago, HenryOHenry said:

Any update on playing DSD files using an M1 Mac? I’m getting hiccups playing anything more than 64 on mine. Not sure if it’s a CPU issue (mine is a 2.3GHz dual-core i5 in a 2017 MBP) or I need more RAM (have 8 GB) or what. My Grace/Drop SDACB can supposedly handle DSD 256 and DXD, so DSD 128 should be no problem.

Any advice?

Are you upsampling or just playing?

No electron left behind.

1 hour ago, HenryOHenry said:

Any advice?

Well, the M1 chips are non-upgradable as far as CPU, memory, or GPU. They are all built on one chip soldered to the board. If you buy a Mac mini with 8GB of memory, you are stuck with that much memory unless you buy a new computer.

There are also reports of USB issues and Bluetooth issues with the new M1 Mac Minis and Notebooks.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

3 hours ago, HenryOHenry said:

Any advice?

I'm looking for the same - I have the 3.0GHz dual-core i7 Mini currently and I can JUST about upsample to DSD128 with only a few hiccups.  The M1s seem to be blowing away older Macs on the benchmarks, wonder how they'd do with HQPlayer.

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

2 hours ago, One and a half said:

This has nothing to do with the M1 system on a chip and audio. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

20 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

Are you upsampling or just playing?

Just playing. I'm have no problems with PCM, upsampled or not. I can even play DXD, though the file sizes are insane and not worth it IMO. I’m only having problems with DSD above 64.

17 hours ago, jhwalker said:

I'm looking for the same - I have the 3.0GHz dual-core i7 Mini currently and I can JUST about upsample to DSD128 with only a few hiccups.  The M1s seem to be blowing away older Macs on the benchmarks, wonder how they'd do with HQPlayer.

Thanks for that post. If you’re having a few hiccups playing 128, no wonder I’m having problems with my less powerful CPU. Sometimes 128 plays OK, sometimes not. It seems to depend on whether the track loads properly and on the track size. With shorter tracks, I can even play DSD 256.

1 hour ago, HenryOHenry said:

Just playing. I'm have no problems with PCM, upsampled or not. I can even play DXD, though the file sizes are insane and not worth it IMO. I’m only having problems with DSD above 64.

Thanks for that post. If you’re having a few hiccups playing 128, no wonder I’m having problems with my less powerful CPU. Sometimes 128 plays OK, sometimes not. It seems to depend on whether the track loads properly and on the track size. With shorter tracks, I can even play DSD 256.

It might be worth increasing RAM to 16GB if you can, although I don't guarantee that would fix the issue though.

I fixed my issues by abandoning the Mac platform all together and building a server with significantly more power.

No electron left behind.

4 hours ago, GregWormald said:

Have you checked the Activity Monitor to find out the actual consumption of these tasks?

My 2011 small MacMini uses 13% of CPU to play 24-88 files, which is the maximum my DAC likes.

It is how Apple OS is written. There is no direct access to the hardware, which both ASIO and WASAPI do in Windows 10. That extra layer is what takes memory up.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects