IGNORED

Volt+ D / Allo Boss player source options and buzzing noise

Hi Folks,

Just got my Volt+ D and Allo Boss Player. 

Volt+ D uses a 24v 5Amp PSU

Set them up initially testing Boss Player->Volt+D and very very happy with the audio quality. Quite amazed in fact.

However, I bought the units to run on different systems... the Boss Player will be added to my main HiFi set-up. The Volt+D Amp will be used for Computer audio to a Pair of B&W speakers.

My next step was to plug in my trusty MacPro 5,1 directly into the Volt+ Amp via line audio out (minijack) to phono. A setup I had running flawlessly previously with an old Arcam amp. This seems to cause an issue with the Volt+D where there is a very audible buzzing sound.

So the first thing I did was move the Volt's PSU to a different plugboard. This seemed to make things better but there is a small buzzing sound still audible between tracks. The attenuator is set to about 2 O'Clock - if I jack it up to 5 O'Clock the buzzing is very loud. I've also tried a couple of different minijack to phono cables with no change.

There is almost zero noise when using the Arcam Amp. So I'm wondering what I can do to get around this or how to figure out the noise issue. 

I did occur to me to try USB audio out of the MacPro to the Boss Player. Is this possible? So MacPro->USB Cable->RaspberryPi USB3 input->Boss DAC->Volt+D->Speakers... the thinking being that I would hope to use the Boss as the Mac's DAC.... 

You might ask why not use one of the wireless transports like Airplay? This is because I don't want any audio lag as I use various audio apps on the Mac.

Here's a recording of the buzzing with Attenuator cranked up full.

NOISE.m4a

12 hours ago, Grif said:

Hi Folks,

Just got my Volt+ D and Allo Boss Player. 

Volt+ D uses a 24v 5Amp PSU

Set them up initially testing Boss Player->Volt+D and very very happy with the audio quality. Quite amazed in fact.

However, I bought the units to run on different systems... the Boss Player will be added to my main HiFi set-up. The Volt+D Amp will be used for Computer audio to a Pair of B&W speakers.

My next step was to plug in my trusty MacPro 5,1 directly into the Volt+ Amp via line audio out (minijack) to phono. A setup I had running flawlessly previously with an old Arcam amp. This seems to cause an issue with the Volt+D where there is a very audible buzzing sound.

So the first thing I did was move the Volt's PSU to a different plugboard. This seemed to make things better but there is a small buzzing sound still audible between tracks. The attenuator is set to about 2 O'Clock - if I jack it up to 5 O'Clock the buzzing is very loud. I've also tried a couple of different minijack to phono cables with no change.

There is almost zero noise when using the Arcam Amp. So I'm wondering what I can do to get around this or how to figure out the noise issue. 

I did occur to me to try USB audio out of the MacPro to the Boss Player. Is this possible? So MacPro->USB Cable->RaspberryPi USB3 input->Boss DAC->Volt+D->Speakers... the thinking being that I would hope to use the Boss as the Mac's DAC.... 

You might ask why not use one of the wireless transports like Airplay? This is because I don't want any audio lag as I use various audio apps on the Mac.

Here's a recording of the buzzing with Attenuator cranked up full.

NOISE.m4a 51.65 kB · 1 download

Forwarded PM please check

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Depends on what your source is. The reason I went with KTB was for Audio directly from my computer (with no lag) so no need for a RPi. It just replaces the crappy computer DAC. so..

MacPro -> KTB -> Volt+D -> Speakers +Sub

I also use an RPi as an endpoint for another Amp - there I use the RPi/Allo Boss DAC setup, works great. 

If you're going to use a RPi as an endpoint for streaming etc then I would use an Allo Boss DAC and not the Khadas Tone board. 

Any Source -> Allo Boss Player (RPi4/Allo Boss DAC) -> Vol+D -> Speakers

Hope that helps