IGNORED

I have been teaching myself rsync today...

14 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

however, I can't seem to get a straight answer on which command I would use to only copy updated files to the receiving end, instead of copying the entire thing each time.

Any gurus here?

Would it be --ignore-existing? or -u update?

The whole point of rsync is that it will only copy files which have changed, and it will do that by default. This command will copy a local directory to another machine, only copying files which have changed:

$ rsync -va <from dir> <remote user>@<remote address>:<to dir>

System (i): Stack Audio Link > 2Qute+MCRU psu; Gyrodec/SME V/Hana SL/EAT E-Glo Petit/Magnum Dynalab FT101A) > PrimaLuna Evo 100 amp > Klipsch RP-600M/REL T5x subs

System (ii): Allo USB Signature > Bel Canto uLink+AQVOX psu > Chord Hugo > APPJ EL34 > Tandy LX5/REL Tzero v3 subs

System (iii) KEF LS50W/KEF R400b subs

1 minute ago, Richard Dale said:

The whole point of rsync is that it will only copy files which have changed, and it will do that by default. This command will copy a local directory to another machine, only coping files which have changed:

$ rsync -va <from dir> <remote user>@<remote address>:<to dir>

Well, that's not what it's doing here.

No electron left behind.

5 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

Well, that's not what it's doing here.

I haven’t got a lot to go on to account for your problem. You will need to paste the command you’re using and the output. Is the current time set correctly on both local and remote machines?

System (i): Stack Audio Link > 2Qute+MCRU psu; Gyrodec/SME V/Hana SL/EAT E-Glo Petit/Magnum Dynalab FT101A) > PrimaLuna Evo 100 amp > Klipsch RP-600M/REL T5x subs

System (ii): Allo USB Signature > Bel Canto uLink+AQVOX psu > Chord Hugo > APPJ EL34 > Tandy LX5/REL Tzero v3 subs

System (iii) KEF LS50W/KEF R400b subs

4 minutes ago, Richard Dale said:

I haven’t got a lot to go on to account for your problem. You will need to paste the command you’re using and the output. Is the current time set correctly on both local and remote machines?

Well, I was using rsync -r /volume/from /volume/to

It worked, it copied everything from my music directory to the NAS. It took a while, but it did it. Then, to test what it would do the second time, I ran it again. It started copying everything over again. I know because disk activity skyrocketed in the two places.

So I switched it to this, rsync -v --ignore-existing /volume/ from /volume/to  and that seemed to have done the trick.

edit: yes, time is set correctly.

Edit 2: I am also making this inside automator by creating an automator action that will run this on a schedule. If there is something that running it in terminal will get me, I can do that too I guess.

No electron left behind.

Take care:

When using rsync

(1) all source files that have been updated will be copied over to the target (in an extremely efficient way where only changed parts of files are copied and if the file is exactly the same it is not copied over at all);

(2) all source files that have been deleted are deleted on the target.

Neither (1) nor (2) will be done when using --ignore-existing

Initial high disk activity could be the result of reading the source and target files.

Maybe you can monitor what is happening by adding --progress

audio system

4 hours ago, bodiebill said:

Take care:

When using rsync

(1) all source files that have been updated will be copied over to the target (in an extremely efficient way where only changed parts of files are copied and if the file is exactly the same it is not copied over at all);

(2) all source files that have been deleted are deleted on the target.

Neither (1) nor (2) will be done when using --ignore-existing

Initial high disk activity could be the result of reading the source and target files.

Maybe you can monitor what is happening by adding --progress

I ended up not using --ignore existing after doing some testing and reading. Thanks for the idea of using the --progress command.

I was seeing reading on the source disk, and writing on the target disk.

No electron left behind.