IGNORED

AES/EBU hat on USBridge Signature?

I need an AES/EBU output for my DAC, and I was wondering if putting this Audiophonics pi-hat on the USBridge Signature would be a possible (or even good) solution? The alternative would be to connect an external USB-to-AES/EBU converter to the USB output from the USBridge, but I’d like to limit the number of devices, PSUs, and cables.

40 minutes ago, eggers said:

Why should I look at those? It is much more expensive than the Audiophonics hat I linked to, and seemingly not better designed.

Maybe you will learn something new. Perhaps you will gain new perspective? Who knows...

1 hour ago, eggers said:

Why should I look at those? It is much more expensive than the Audiophonics hat I linked to, and seemingly not better designed.

The Pi2aes is a totally different device. It has serious clocks and regulation, it is an excellent unit. I am currently using it I2s and I am very impressed. It is a bargain at the asking price. 

Thank you both. I have taken a closer look at the Pi2AES and it indeed looks more serious than the Audiophonics one. Is there a way to convert the phase noise specifications of the two oscillators so that I can compare them? Eg. the Audiophonics device is specified in PPM, and the Pi2AES (using the NZ2520SD) is specified in dBc/Hz.

• 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...
On 12/29/2021 at 6:28 AM, bigjako said:

To be more specific, does anyone know if could I substitute the Pi2aes instead of the DigiOne signature as my hat? I think the form factors don’t fit so I’d need to change cases or keep them separated.  

You can but only the I2S and power line up with the back of the USBridge. All other connections are 90 degrees off (AES, BNC, both SPIDF).