AudioDoctor

I received my Yggdrasil, and have a question...

I have tried both the RCA and the XLR outputs, but not an adapter. The RCA outputs output at 2V and the XLR outputs 4V so it may influence gain in the rest of the chain.

No electron left behind...

@JoeWhip

@barrows

The question is if pin3 should be connected to RCA ground or should be left unconnected.

What are the pros and cons?

Thanks

Matt

2 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

I have tried both the RCA and the XLR outputs, but not an adapter. The RCA outputs output at 2V and the XLR outputs 4V so it may influence gain in the rest of the chain.

AFAIK, consensus is XLR sounds best when the rest of the set-up is balanced as well.

Matt

1 hour ago, matthias said:

AFAIK, consensus is XLR sounds best when the rest of the set-up is balanced as well.

Matt

I'm not sure if the XLR inputs on the Mcintosh are truly balanced.

2 hours ago, matthias said:

@JoeWhip

@barrows

The question is if pin3 should be connected to RCA ground or should be left unconnected.

What are the pros and cons?

Thanks

Matt

Think of the connection as being about the difference between two wires.  Balanced to single ended, would take the difference between pin 2 and pin 3.  To achieve the same difference signal at the single ended input, pin 2 connects to hot (RCA center pin) and pin 3 connects to ground, keeping the difference signal the same.  This approach also allows the cable run to still provide common mode rejection on its way to the preamp.

Another point though: I would only choose the use the balanced outputs this way if the single ended output is derived just from half of the balanced signal (using pin 2 referenced to ground).  There is a better way some DACs can create their single ended outputs: one can take the balanced signal, and then sum it to a single ended signal through an active balanced to single ended converter (or using a transformer, but that is less common).  The advantage of this approach, is that it takes advantage of the common mode distortion/noise rejection of the balanced output, and provides that same advantage on the single ended outputs.  If the Yggdrasil uses an active balanced to single ended stage internally, then I would just run RCA cables to the single ended preamp.

ROON: DSD 256-Sonore opticalModule-Signature Rendu optical--Bricasti M3 DAC--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY AC, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Orange Fuses, Dark Matter system clarifiers.                                                        

SONORE computer audio

1 hour ago, barrows said:

Think of the connection as being about the difference between two wires.  Balanced to single ended, would take the difference between pin 2 and pin 3.  To achieve the same difference signal at the single ended input, pin 2 connects to hot (RCA center pin) and pin 3 connects to ground, keeping the difference signal the same.  This approach also allows the cable run to still provide common mode rejection on its way to the preamp.

Another point though: I would only choose the use the balanced outputs this way if the single ended output is derived just from half of the balanced signal (using pin 2 referenced to ground).  There is a better way some DACs can create their single ended outputs: one can take the balanced signal, and then sum it to a single ended signal through an active balanced to single ended converter (or using a transformer, but that is less common).  The advantage of this approach, is that it takes advantage of the common mode distortion/noise rejection of the balanced output, and provides that same advantage on the single ended outputs.  If the Yggdrasil uses an active balanced to single ended stage internally, then I would just run RCA cables to the single ended preamp.

I think the Yggy sums the differentially balanced signal and outputs that to the RCA connections.

edit: From Schiit.com. 

"fully discrete, Class A FET summing stages for single-ended output"  

That is indeed correct Audiodoctor. I still use the balanced with adapters recommended by someone at Schiit. I am very happy with the results, even if I am only hearing the difference between 4V and 2V. If I were to make a change to the Yggy, it would only be a beefier power supply. Not sure there is enough room for that though. 

34 minutes ago, JoeWhip said:

That is indeed correct Audiodoctor. I still use the balanced with adapters recommended by someone at Schiit. I am very happy with the results, even if I am only hearing the difference between 4V and 2V. If I were to make a change to the Yggy, it would only be a beefier power supply. Not sure there is enough room for that though. 

Please, can you share how the adapters are configurated or provide a link?

At least it seems not to be recommended by Schiit:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/schiit-yggdrasil-impressions-thread.766347/page-30#post-11778417

Thanks

Matt

That was quite a few years ago (at least 7 years, wow) as was using them since I bought the Gungnir DS that I eventually upgraded to the Gumby. I will PM you once I recall what the adapters are. I will pull them next time I power down the system which will likely be tomorrow with severe thunderstorms predicted, 7 years with no issues at all.